NameSilo

Is .TOP Going to be next gTLD Hit or Flop?

Located in gTLD Discussion, started by Nile Patel, Oct 24, 2015

Replies:
Views:

?

When .Top going to break 1 Million Registration Mark?

Poll closed Apr 24, 2016.
  1. Dec 2015

26.1%
  2. March , 2016

30.4%
  3. July 2016

8.7%
  4. Dec 2016

34.8%
Total: 23 vote(s)
  1. Nile Patel

Nile Patel IdealDomain ★★★★★★★★★★

Is any one has any idea , why new investor love .top as investment tool , why not any other gtld.

Here what i see in this article is how Chinese new domineers following trend and math of investment.
    https://www.yumi.com/news/xindingjiyu/newgtld-14982.shtml

I know top means best in china and everywhere , but is any other new gTLD going to follow this kind of marketing hype and do western investors going to follow this bandwagon.

Is .com going to loose power if few more gTLD hype get success in new investor after .xyz and .top???

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. jedaprin

jedaprin Established Member

Well Heres the Thing Xyz is Cheaper and sounds more appealing theres only a few .tops that would be extremely appealing as for xyz it deosnt mean anything

Creamon.top
    Shopon.top
    tampon.top LOOL
    iliketorideon.top
    iwason.top
    on.top

I could just keep going its endless

3. zycfour

zycfour Account Closed (Disallowed)

Whether it's .top or .bottom or .sthyoucantunderstand, as long as it's widely used and recognized, the meaning actually becomes meaningless. Anyone cared what .com meant when they wanted to build a website 20 years ago? Do domainers chatting in NP really care if it's called namepros.com or domainpros.go? If Google wasn't named Google, but Gogogo, do you think that really matterred?

So, in my opinion, once the tld, or whatever it is, gets a really wide audience, it's then chosen and used without you liking it or not.

4. jedaprin

yea i think your right but theres always preference to keep in mind everyone loves .com i personally love .xyz and .pw for some reason, if i was to own a .top i would want ti to be clever and memorable like shopon.top
    or bottomto.top

I just picked up Insured.pw not SURE what im going to do with it

5. Andy Dexter

Andy Dexter Account Closed (Disallowed)

Domain investing is for money. .top is cheap, short and has good meaning and a big market share, hence a nice potential for higher ROI. End-users like it then so do the investors, that's a reason good enough. :xf.wink:

6. ulterios

ulterios The Bear is Sticky with Honey VIP

The .top extension has potential to do well. They ( .top registry) need to control their and their registrars spam that keeps being sent out to everyone who owns a domain. Spamming is hurting it's credibility and they don't seem to realize it.

If the .top registry can install and enforce some spam control then they might do very well. If they keep going the way they are then that spam reputation that they have earned up till this point might not get shaken off.

As of right now many people are just registering them because you can get them at about a buck or so, and they use them for a year for spam and other purposes and drop them when renewal comes.

The .top extension's future is up to the .top registry and their affiliated registrars that are hurting the extensions reputation...

7. brandnow

brandnow Selling hotcakes VIP

I would put .top .xyz .pw and .tk in the same class. ;) Unless you have a super premium name.. or a "premium Chinese" name in the case of .top.. it's basically gonna be junk.

8. INamewiz

INamewiz Established Member

Seems like .top topic is hot, despite the opinions positive(also my side) or negative.

If .top continue to be successful, that success will silent all critics; if not, it will silent itself.

Cannot predict the future but to follow the instinct for now, like or dislike -simple enough. :ahhh:

9. INamewiz

INamewiz Established Member

Back to the thread, did anyone see that trend and math of investment? Seems complicated and didn't fully catch the meaning.

Domaining is a brain-racking work.:-/

10. Brandon.Domains

Brandon.Domains Successful Internet Entrepreneur Since 1998

.top is definitely powered by registrations from Asian countries - they seem to love it. I know .xyz has a huge number of registered domains but I wonder if it's not a bubble. The key to their success was selling the domains dead cheap - even giving them away for free at one point. That's their weakest point I think. Even premium .xyz domains are often priced quite cheaply in the few hundred dollar range.

11. biggie

biggie GreenFriendly.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

.top will never be on .top

12. jedaprin

how long has .top been around for ?

13. Nile Patel

Read that sentence in view of that given article link, in that article they talk oh i bought some .top name for cheap and i will hold and flip for 3 times, something like that kind of wording which i m unclear too..
    So i try to ask Chinese domineers here is that how they evaluate new .top for investment or do they using other kind of math to return their investment after few years later.

14. Nile Patel

You right .top is Asian Registry, but what I m asking here is the domain business in china is new compare to what western countries doing since it born, the market in china is not mature yet, they can not afford to buy good keyword .com names now so if registries like .top do heavy marketing and try to convince new investor in asian country by saying hold our names and after few year later you can flip with big profit do the investor go behind them.
    After seeing .xyz and .top success other new registry going to follow same marketing path may be in different region and try to grab as many new investor as they can and eventually it can hurt .com market.

15. vicho

vicho VIP Member .TOP Staff VIP

GA at 17th November, 2014. You can check: https://namestat.org/top

16. Nile Patel

Congrats on your success within 1 year you have many registration, we do not know they are cheap or free or what ever else but the number speaking itself.

vicho can you put some light on all the scam email complaint everyone doing here on this forum , may be you have heard that too in other threads.

Note : I do not own any single .top or any other new tlds names( i m like wait and watch kind of little shy guy)

17. vicho

vicho VIP Member .TOP Staff VIP

Thank you @Nile Patel. We want to help end-users, website builders to focus more on creating a nice website, so we started from providing domains that cost as less as possible, and now we are also in cooperation with Mobik to provide free mobile website builder and free hosting. This bundle service is only available on Alpnames right now and should be available on other registrars later.

However, like almost any other TLD, there are abusive usage and spam emails from .top domains as well. None of us want this to happen, so we welcome everyone to report it by sending email to [email protected] and we will handle such behaviors with zero tolerance.

18. DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

DOMAIN ILLUMINATI Owner of ▲ the most expensive domain of all time. VIP Gold Account

My analyzing is:
    Because of it's simple but wide range of meaning .top gives a perfect chance for all career changers (new GTLD = reset the availability of all words).
    In a psy way of sight (which is not marginally) .top gives us a statement from the same moment on we read it - the statement, that there is something top aka best etc. - this makes curious what's the content behind a .top named website.
    So, to answer the question of ths thread - YES, .top definetly is going to be the next hit imo.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  19. Brandon.Domains

That makes sense. The problem I see for a possible new "favorite domain" for a different region is that everybody has to go for and back the same gTLD - like with .top in this case.

If there are 2 or 3 good alternative options available, registration numbers will spread over several gTLDs which will erode the value. A gTLD needs critical mass (i.e. a certain number of total registrations) to take off and stay successful in the long run.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_mass_(sociodynamics)

Brandon

20. KDN

KDN Ken VIP

Let's wait and see. :)

21. Brandon.Domains

Yup :)

People may think the internet has evolved a lot over the decades, but actually we are only at the very beginning.

Brandon

22. baseballworld

baseballworld Restricted (Market)

Nothings gonna weaken dot com. far as gtld they all hype I up then die down. history will repeat as usual.

23. Nile Patel

Do we have history of 1000 or more gtld came in past , this game is different this time verisign is fighting with heavy pocket guys like google and amazon this are not small guys compare to any country tlds or other registry.

24. jmcc

jmcc Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I ran a web usage survey (basically categorising how websites are used in the new gTLDs) on the new gTLDs in October 2015 and .top seems to be showing signs of development. However Some Chinese and Japanese hosters and registrars have large number so their registered domain names without websites. PPC parking is running at about 7% and domains for sale about 3.94%. The statistics are still being processed but the delay between a domain name registration and a working website is visible.

Regards...jmcc

25. Andy Dexter

Andy Dexter Account Closed (Disallowed)

There is still a long way to go for gtlds. The major problem to be solved is that getting more recognition and support from endusers and domainers. It takes time but I still have confidence in gtlds investing.
    It wasn't that all the gtlds are worth investing. Just keep your eyes sharp.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice