IT.COM

Can’t login Afternic from India

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Why can’t I login my Afternic from india?

It says…
The website has been blocked as per direction/order of Hon'ble Court.
IMG_4157.jpeg

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Your own country is doing this stuff. They seem to have issues with multiple registrars but Afternic is a new one. Use a VPN.

•••
why does it say not secure? what is the EXACT url in that browser?

•••
You must use vpn, can you access dan.com and dynadot website? i hear they blocked too.

•••
Typed Afternic.com and that’s what it said…not secure…got website has been blocked message

Then typed https://afternic.com and got empty page.

Then typed www.afternic.com and it worked

•••
It may be the browser problem

•••
There are articles about this on the web, including this one about multiple domain registrars being blocked You can contact India's official government Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology for more information and to voice your concerns on the matter.

The GoDaddy block appears to had been related, at least in part, to intellectual property and privacy issues with the company.

There was some suggestion that other countries have imposed access restrictions for some registrars as well. UK was mentioned on one site. Perhaps our NP members in other countries may know more about this.

Last edited:
•••
As a clarification to the above, Namecheap and Dynadot were mentioned in the above link. There were mentions on the web of GoDaddy being blocked, but it was unclear when and for how long. And there were no official sites from India to confiirm that.

There was a NP post last year related to the registrar ISP blocking in 2023.

Perhaps Godaddy or the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology can clarify whether there were or currently are any ongoing registrar access restrictions in India.

Last edited:
•••
I got multiple requests for listing my domains for sale at Afternic and afterwards found that Afternic was blocked in India

Last edited:
•••
I got multiple requests for listing my domains for sale at Afternic and afterwards found that Afternic was blocked in India
Have you been able to find an actual High Court Order or an official government statement indicating which domain marrketplaces and regiistrars were banned by ISPs in India? The actual Court Order, if real, might be an interesting read.

Note that there may be issues about the use of a VPN in India to circumvent this. One website reported that India is now required VPNs to record identifying activity for 5 years. And, if this truly is Court-ordered, one has to consider that government monitoring for sales may be in place, to impose further sanctions if other bypass methods are attempted.

Interesting turn of events, if the ban is real.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back