IT.COM

information Can you make a living registering and flipping GEO names? - FAQ

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Since I usually report my geo sales here on NamePros, some members send questions via PM asking how they can go about selling geo names. Here are some questions I have received and the answers I have provided. Feel free to post your comments or questions.

Is it possible to make a living flipping low value GEO names?

The short answer is Yes. However, as for nearly every question in life, a longer answer is needed. It depends on what a living means for you. If you do this right and dedicate at least a few hours a day doing it, you can make a few thousand dollars a month (let’s say 3 or 4K). For many people that is a living, while for others it might not be.

How much should you invest in order to make a nice profit?

I recommend this business approach to domain investors who do not have a lot to invest or who would like to test the waters before buying premium names. Once you start generating income from geo names, you could use the money to invest in better quality names.

Do you sell all the domain names you register?

No. That would be impossible. Many of the domain names we register do not sell immediately or do not sell at all. However, everything considered, the business is still profitable. In our case, the domain names sold compensate for any unsold names in our portfolio.

Do you only attempt to sell .COM names or do you do the same with other domain extensions, such as .NET or .ORG?

We only try to actively sell .COM names. We own other domain extensions, but rarely, if ever, actively promote them. As the saying goes, β€œThe .COM is king”. It still is the best-selling domain extension.

The end-user doesn’t want to pay using PayPal. Should I use Escrow?

It is normal for end-users to hesitate about doing business with someone they do not know and just sent them a message they were not expecting. So, you must give them as many reasons as possible to trust you. If they feel more comfortable with Escrow, then use Escrow. We use PayPal invoice for almost every transaction under $1000 and have never had any issues.

There are many other questions and answers, but I do not want to overwhelm you...

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Two more questions today:

Do you include the price on the email you send to end-users?

If my price is under $1000, I always include a price. If I am selling a hand-reg name for $600 and the client offers $400-$500, I accept. If the client offers $100 I respond in a very kind and professional way explaining why the email is worth more.

Do you send bulk email?

No. I contact clients individually. It may be time consuming, but it pays off. I make sure the email complies with anti-spam regulations, which among other things require that the sender include full address, name (of person or company) and the option for the recipient to opt out of the email or stop receiving it. In addition, I try to contact each potential buyer only once, unless they respond showing interest in the offer.

Last edited:
•••
great info thanks - really helpful for ppl just starting out like me. have you got a template of the email you send out to potential end users by any chance that you would be happy to share? i find them very hard to word so any help is good thanks

•••
Yes, I am sending you a PM. Check your inbox.

•••
@infosec3 - can you PM me as well? Thanks.

•••
A great share mate, appreciate it.

Count me in for the email template please.

•••
Great deal of info here!
I've not been very lucky with my geos,
@infosec3 kindly pm me also the template.
Thanks.

•••
Here is your answer. You can make money at anything with the right determination and mind setting.

•••
Im sorry if this is stupid but what is a geo. please give an example
cheers

•••
Im sorry if this is stupid but what is a geo. please give an example
cheers

Your question is perfectly valid. A geo is a name that refers to a specific geographic area (city, state, province, etc.).

The ones I am referring to are city or state + service or product. For example, PhoenixBikes.com or BostonBikeRental.com are geo names.

Boston.com is a premium geo... You get the point.

•••
•••
•••
Thanks for writing a very informative piece on Geo Domain Sales & Strategies. It certainly will help us in our domaining ventures.

•••
Thanks infosec
please can i have a copy of the email and can i be cheeky and ask for your video guide???
Pleease

•••
I purchased your video guide - well done! This should definitely help new people out.

•••
I purchased your video guide - well done! This should definitely help new people out.

Hi infosec. Where can I find info about your video guide?

•••
•••
@infosec3 ,
Thank you so much for this information! This will really help a lot of us.
Can I also have your template? Thank you so much! I appreciate all the help!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back