IT.COM

Can one live off of Domain Parking???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
:hi: Guys,

A curious question: Is it possible to live nicely off of just parking your domains (i.e., earn comfortable living money)??

Thanks!

P.S. How much can one earn monthly, for instance?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
snoop said:
The multiples domains sell on is very wide and depends on quality. Expect to pay between 6 months to 30 years revenue+ depending on what kind of name you are after.

Thirty years revenue? Why would you want to risk all that money on an investment that might break even 3 decades from now? It seems like the odds of ever making a profit would be much smaller than the odds of the domain being worthless that far down the road.

•••
The Critic said:
Thirty years revenue? Why would you want to risk all that money on an investment ...

I'm pretty sure it was a typo for 3 years, or possibly 30 months

•••
i think there is much more money developing names instead of parking them

•••
If you have the money, lets say $10,000, do you invest that money on buying up domains solely for parking or do you buy just 1 domain (it doesnt have to cost even $100) and make a website with it and spend on marketing, SERPs, building links etc..

I would choose the latter. Income from parking domains is totally dependent on
the search engines and also the PPC companies...you have almost no control except maybe to set the keywords. You cannot drive any traffic, or do anything. If one of the backlinks sends useless traffic, you might get banned...

All in, its actually very hard. You may have to fork out 50 months revenue to acquire a good traffic domain. In 50 months, maybe you can get back your investment...

But its still possible, if you have the will and determination (+ money)...but there are actually many less risky and costly ways to make money.

•••
I'm just about there... I have a friend who has been living off parking for a year or so already!! :tu:

•••
How much is your friend making?

P.S. I think the thing with Parking vs Developing is that it MUCH less time consuming! ;)

•••
Also just remember with the trademark typos that companies such as google, yahoo, microsoft, etc will probably get a law firm to send you a letter asking for it back or the very least send you an email or go through the domain dispute resolution procedure.

Also i'm trying out 1plus.net and another service for my domains that have almost no traffic and i'm hoping that within a few months I will get enough revenue to pay for the renewal fee on each one.

•••
I have not tried 1plus.net, does it really work? How to compare with mini-site?

SiGuy said:
..Also i'm trying out 1plus.net and another service for my domains that have almost no traffic and i'm hoping that within a few months I will get enough revenue to pay for the renewal fee on each one.

•••
cache said:
I have not tried 1plus.net, does it really work? How to compare with mini-site?

A site on 1plus is a mini-site. If it's the right kind of mini-site for your domain it should work as well as a mini-site you've put together yourself.

It's basically a trade-off, 1plus gets 10% of the advertising revenue and dictates how the site looks in return for saving you the effort of creating the site and the cost of hosting.

Last month 10 of my sites that had failed dismally on both ND & Trafficz made over $1 on 1plus, with the best of these 10 making over $4. It wasn't much, but better that the $0 (or close to it) they were making before. In addition, sites on 1plus tend to slowly do better over time. The month before only 8 of them made 1 $. Back in August it was only 4. Remember these are sites with sufficiently low traffic that I don't regard them worth the effort of building and maintaining a mini-site.

•••
The Critic said:
Thirty years revenue? Why would you want to risk all that money on an investment that might break even 3 decades from now? It seems like the odds of ever making a profit would be much smaller than the odds of the domain being worthless that far down the road.

This kind of name would have huge resale and development potential. Secondly the term "break even" isn't a good one to use, the person has bought an asset, they haven't suddenly lost all that money until they have made it back via ppc earnings.

Lastly 30 years of current revenue isn't the same as the name producing enough to cover the cost of acquisition in 30 years time. PPC earnings on domains have been growing at about 25+% per year over the last few years, earnings growth in the future needs to be considered.

•••
snoop said:
PPC earnings on domains have been growing at about 25+% per year over the last few years, earnings growth in the future needs to be considered.

In that case, consider inflation as well. And then you are back to the same equation.

•••
cfguru360 said:
In that case, consider inflation as well. And then you are back to the same equation.

You think earnings on domains are likely to grow at the rate of inflation, around 2-3% per year?

•••
Probably not. But I wouldn't really calculate PPC growth of 25% for 30 years either. I mean, if you are investing for 30 years, you may want to rethink your strategy from the start.

It is very possible that PPC won't exist in 30 years. Not to mention, even if it does, I would never calculate the 25% ppc growth that you claim there is, even though I never seen anything to support that. On top of that, take into account that ppc is still rather new. It just won't last forever.

•••
cfguru360 said:
But I wouldn't really calculate PPC growth of 25% for 30 years either.

I haven't said that, 25%+ per year is roughly how type ins domains revenue has grown in the past few years, it is a historical figure, not a prediction about the future. I expect the growth rate in the market to gradually fall over time.

cfguru360 said:
I would never calculate the 25% ppc growth that you claim there is, even though I never seen anything to support that.

What kind of growth rates have you experienced or seen evidence of?

Last edited:
•••
help required with parking sites...

since there is so much talk abt living off domains parking income, i need suggestions as to which is the best parking site or options. i have abt 70 domains and some of them are generic names - all are parked with sedo - get almost nothing and the whole investment is stuck. get hardly $.02 per click.

plz help :td:

•••
domaindevelopers said:
since there is so much talk abt living off domains parking income, i need suggestions as to which is the best parking site or options.

Some domains do better at one parking service than others, this works both ways.

My default parking service is namedrive. You need to select category/subcategory and set up appropriate keywords, but once you have experimented and found the best performing ones for your domains it iseems to tick along nicely.

I've heard that they don't have many high payout clicks, if you're getting high value clicks on anything at sedo, best not risk them, but for the other domains I'd give them a try & after a few weeks move the ones that worked better at sedo back there.

Domains that don't perform well at either site, you could try a third or even fourth option.

•••
Many usefull posts , thank you all.

•••
The best for me so far is developed. Buy a domain name and developed with adsense or yahoo ads. Great revenue and long term solution compare to parking service which get 50% or more from your domain. Crappy or misspelled domains should stay in parking service.

my 2 cents.

•••
Good information and advice

There has been a lot of good information and advice posted in this thread. I'd like to make some general observations. Please correct me if I am wrong:

1. Generating revenue from domains (parking, trading, or something else) requires an investment like any business.

2. It is possible to make a reasonable profit if you are willing to invest adequately and devote appropriate effort (work hard)

3. Most businesses should expect to lose money for 1-2 years before gradually becomming profitable at best.

4. The returns on any business or investment are related to the risk and effort you put in. If you invest very little money and effort, you will make very little return. If you invest a lot of money and effort you might still make very little.

As someone said, you can make 2-3% risk free on your money by putting it in the bank.

You can probably make 7-10% with greater risk by investing in stocks.

So, you should only invest in your own business if you can expect to make a higher return. The natural return of the industry, and I have no idea what it is for domains, is what you could expect to earn if you invested adequate amounts and put forth "average effort" with "average skill" If you are a beginner, lack the knowledge (or ability to learn quickly), or are unwilling to work harder than average, your retrun will be lower than the industry.

So what does all this mean in numbers? Let's say for argument's sake that the industry internal rate of return (IRR) is 25%, a fairly high number. I will spare the math unless you ask, but one way to generate this IRR over 5 years is to lose $3000 the first year, break even teh second, and make $1000, $2000, then $3000 in each of the next 3 years. You can divide or multiply each of these numbers to scale to your own investment.

If you expect to make more than that, you are expecting a higher IRR. This should tell you that you either need to work harder or take a higher risk of losing your money.

The bottom line is that you must have realistic expectations. If your plan is to invest $100 and expect to make $10000 within 2 years (or sooner) you are saying you think you can produce an IRR of 900%. This is completely unrealistic!

Personally I have only been doing this about a year and am tracking somewhere below the 25% IRR, maybe around 20%. But I did not know much when I started and have not put in as much effort as I could have so I guess I have done reasonably well.

Hope this was helpful.

•••
The best advice I can give you is to read--read--read
Read this site as much as you can---very helpful---and take all the advice and come up with your own way of doing it.
I have only been doing this about 9 months now.
I have spend about 2500 on about 400 domain names
I sold one for $500.00
I have sold others on here and other sites for about another $500
I have made about $320 in parking rev. so far this year
I just received another offer this am for $250 on another one of my names.
My parking rev. is up to $50 to $80 a month rite now
I think I have done ok but I obviously regged a few I wish I could have back :)
95% of all the names I bought for reg. fee
Just look in all the different places for DN----you can still find some good ones

•••
wonderful advise above. thank you.

•••
Kamloops

Kamloops IRR is about 20% assuming $7000 invested today and the clicks keep coming for 3 more years. Not bad. This is very reasonable for a business like that.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back