IT.COM

Can one live off of Domain Parking???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
:hi: Guys,

A curious question: Is it possible to live nicely off of just parking your domains (i.e., earn comfortable living money)??

Thanks!

P.S. How much can one earn monthly, for instance?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ha!

We all want to live off domains I guess. I can only speak for myself. Through this board and TDNAM have purchased a total of about $1000 of domains. Make around $100 a month off parking them.

This is just the start though nfor me hopefully. But the domain business is the most brutal I have evr operated in. It's Shark City!

•••
:) not on my lifestyle lol

I think this is doubtful given the current plunges parking programs are taking. I think if you develop minimal sites but focus on ads and affiliate programs you can do much better.

Best of luck

•••
globefrog said:
:) not on my lifestyle lol

I think this is doubtful given the current plunges parking programs are taking. I think if you develop minimal sites but focus on ads and affiliate programs you can do much better.

Best of luck

I would agree. To have sustainable traffic to a parked domain it would need type in traffic. It is not possible to hand reg a name at this point that is going to recieve much type in traffic, due to a number of reasons that are beyond this post. You can purchase a name that recieves type in traffic but you will be looking at some serious money for that domain. At least 12x monthly income at the very minimum (unlikely to get one that cheap) up to 60x + monthly income on the high end. At least thats the sum up the knowledge I have gained from these forums on the subject :hehe:

•••
If you find the right ones, you certainly can - I'm sure there are a number of people in here that make more than a comfortable living solely of parked domains, though I'm sure they have other ventures as well.

•••
Peter, how much $/day is comfortable living money to you?

It really depends on what type of money satisfies you. With myself, I noticed a trend. The more money I made per month, the more I wanted to make. Not sure if this is greed or if this is just setting myself a higher goal. But what I do is spend 95% of the money I make per month on more traffic/revenue domains. And it just keeps growing and growing.

My advice to anybody that wants to seriously start him/herself up in the traffic business is to have atleast 30k minimum to invest. With 30k you can find yourself a domain that makes approx $50 a day. Then at the end of each month when you get your revenue check from this domain ($50/day = $1500 a month), you'd invest that money into another domain. Keep it rolling like that for 2-3 years.

If you want to make domains your living, it is VERY possible. It just requires dedication. You have to really want to make it happen. Otherwise, it isn't going to happen. Be prepared for losses as well. Some deals that you think are good deals may end up being bad deals. Good deals could also end up being excellent deals as well.

Goodluck to everyone that wants to make it happen!

•••
cfguru360 said:
Peter, how much $/day is comfortable living money to you?

It really depends on what type of money satisfies you. With myself, I noticed a trend. The more money I made per month, the more I wanted to make. Not sure if this is greed or if this is just setting myself a higher goal. But what I do is spend 95% of the money I make per month on more traffic/revenue domains. And it just keeps growing and growing.

My advice to anybody that wants to seriously start him/herself up in the traffic business is to have atleast 30k minimum to invest. With 30k you can find yourself a domain that makes approx $50 a day. Then at the end of each month when you get your revenue check from this domain ($50/day = $1500 a month), you'd invest that money into another domain. Keep it rolling like that for 2-3 years.

If you want to make domains your living, it is VERY possible. It just requires dedication. You have to really want to make it happen. Otherwise, it isn't going to happen. Be prepared for losses as well. Some deals that you think are good deals may end up being bad deals. Good deals could also end up being excellent deals as well.

Goodluck to everyone that wants to make it happen!

I think that is great advice. I didn't have 30k to spend on a name so I spent spent less money on a lot of domains. In hindsight I realize that was a mistake. I would have been better off buying just a couple quality domains at higher prices. I have a number of names in my portfolio that just don't get traffic and I will probably let drop. Luckily I've learned my lesson early and will only buy names now for developement or for their traffic.

•••
drpm said:

A curious question: Is it possible to live nicely off of just parking your domains (i.e., earn comfortable living money)??

Thanks!

How long is a piece of string?, ultsearch was making $20 million per year when he sold out, that would be around the top end, the bottom end would be those making a loss.

•••

Last edited:
•••
HA!!! I WANNA BE THE NEXT ULTSEARCH THEN...OR THE FIRST DRPM!!! :laugh:
And to answer Matt, "comfortable living money" for me would be at least along the lines of what Yun Ye was making!!! ;)

•••
I started buying for personal domains early 1999, now buying domains with at least $ per day or $30 a day. I started 1 domain, now owned close to 2000 domains 10-20% reject but still making money.

Domain business diversified to the following approach.
- Buy and sell domains, ex. buy low sell high, just like stocks
- Develop website, quality name that has natural traffic, preferably non-trademark domains.
- parking services, all domains waiting for development
- Advertising website, a good example here is www.king.net still new but got some customer already. Keep them coming.

As you can see, the business is not concentrated to one source of income.

Revenue is very stable. I continue to do this process, hopefully to reach my forecast revenue by next year.

Hope this encourage other new business.

Cheers,
EM

•••
First off, never heard of somebody making $20 million a year, and then selling out.

Secondly, Peter, if Yun Ye is this $20 million a year guy, then your dreams are really unrealistic. You have to set yourself a smaller goal first. Reach that goal, then set a bigger goal. It is just like launching a website. You have to start with little features, launch a small site. Then build as you go along.

Like EM said on top. Buy/sell domains. This is how I started out. I started really getting into domains in February of 2006 when I made my first profit. I have started out by buying/selling. This is why I recommend you already have 30k to invest into traffic/revenue domains.

You really have to build a strategy. Everybody should have their own strategy.

•••
I think its possible if you own typos like googel.com, orktu.com, yhaoo.com, myspcae.com etc. Otherwise, you'll only earn few hundreds bucks which isn't enough.

•••
Ok, so more "realistically"...if I have lets say $5,000 to invest right now...what kind of domain can this get me (i.e., how much earning/month...from parking)??

•••
Just like other business, you test it 'till you learn the right approach.

If you concentrate on buy and sell, make sure you buy low and sell high.

If you go to buying domain with revenue, this is a little tricky because some seller will tell you that a domain is generating $$$ per month with so many traffic but you learn after few days that the domain is just another crap domain and very minimal revenue. You need to learn the process before jumping to this business.

Continue reading some articles here and you will learn some. Remember knowledge is power.

With your money, you will be able to start but not a promising result for the next couple of months ... continue reading other message board to learn.

Domain name business is also a risk business, if you don't know what you're doing you might end up nothing. A good example, buying trademarks domains. It has good traffic and revenue, then a lawyer send you a cease and decease order with request to turn over the name and so on...

If you want a safe investment, go to bank and deposit your money for 2-3% interest rate.

cheers,
em

•••
Parking your sites to earn $$$$, i don't think so. If i have 5 K right now to invest i'd buy myself a good name, and make it a dating site.

•••
drpm said:
Ok, so more "realistically"...if I have lets say $5,000 to invest right now...what kind of domain can this get me (i.e., how much earning/month...from parking)??

The multiples domains sell on is very wide and depends on quality. Expect to pay between 6 months to 30 years revenue+ depending on what kind of name you are after.

•••
I think since you have 5k you should shop around for a good deal on a LLL.com or something and selling it for $500-$1000 profit on the forums. Keep on repeating this. Peter, I thought you had a few good LN domains for appraisal a few days ago? What about that I4.com?

Your strategy seems to be long term. My strategy was always to keep things short-term, reseller priced. Sometimes waiting for an end-user is not the smartest thing, because with a reseller sale you can always re-invest that money into better and bigger domains.

Bank is a safe investment. But it is also one of the worst investments. There is nothing worse IMO than letting your money just sit there collecting dust in a bank. Don't forget about inflation either.

$5000 will get you about $10 a day on a little above average deal on a trademark domain.

•••
Beginner's guide to low revenue parking

I've been serious about parking for just over a year.

I never pay more than $100 / domain and usually a lot less. This means that it is rare for my domains to make a lot of money each. Instead I've gone for quantity over quality.

Every so often I get a good domain & can make a reasonable amount of money off it. When that happens I rejoice. The rest of the time I watch my winners make me a nicely growing income. My top 60 or so domains make me over $600/month between them. I use the revenue for growth.

When I first acquire the domain I examine the name and any residual links to try to work out the best keyword combination. The I let it rest for a while (5-10 days) and look for low ctr or very low paying clicks and use this to tweak the keywords. If I do tweak them I let it rest a few days and repeat the analysis.

Important note: Keep records - original settings, revised settings, dates, and reasons. If you're dealing with 10 domains you can do it in your head, if you're dealing with several hundred domains it's easy to get confused.

I have a target for each domain I park. Currently it's $2 / month. This covers registration fees and a my time administering the domain. If it fails to get that after 30 days, I try a second parking program, sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. If the second parking program also fails I try 1plus & try a little harder to sell the domain.

Occasionally I have a name that cries out for a mini-site rather than parking ... I'm toying with putting some new domains on 1plus first. The problem with that is it can take 2-3 months of sitting before before 1plus domains show life.

If a domain isn't making $2 & it doesn't have traffic I leave it parked wherever it ends up until it expires. I'll hapily invest time trying to improve CTR or PPC, but there has to be traffic there first.

The kind of parking I'm pursuing is low margin, so to build up revenue I need a lot of domains. This means that it is important to focus my energies on where it can make a difference and not stress over the places where they can't.

Mr Micawber said:
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery

Another trap I've learned to avoid is "Sunk cost" thinking. What I paid for the domain is irrelevant to what it is worth to me. It either covers reg fee+labor or it doesn't. If it doesn't then it doesn't belong in my parking portfolio. It may be a fine domain name for other reasons, but those reasons have to justify keeping it independently of parking revenue.

•••
kiore said:
I've been serious about parking for just over a year.

I never pay more than $100 / domain and usually a lot less. This means that it is rare for my domains to make a lot of money each. Instead I've gone for quantity over quality.....Another trap I've learned to avoid is "Sunk cost" thinking. What I paid for the domain is irrelevant to what it is worth to me. It either covers reg fee+labor or it doesn't. If it doesn't then it doesn't belong in my parking portfolio. It may be a fine domain name for other reasons, but those reasons have to justify keeping it independently of parking revenue.

Excellent read! Thanks for sharing!

kev

•••
Hi All of you

Listen, why can't we just search the domain word we want in google and find out the hit rate, google lists the total number of hits to thr right for the word/s we search for.

Am i right in saying this is the best way to choose a domain?
Please let me know, as i am taking this approach,

Kind Regards

Jamil

•••
jam123 said:
why can't we just search the domain word we want in google and find out the hit rate, google lists the total number of hits to thr right for the word/s we search for.

Am i right in saying this is the best way to choose a domain?
Please let me know, as i am taking this approach

There's nothing wrong with it. The only problem is lots of people can do this and do do this so domains that can be found this way are sought after & you aren't as likely to get bargins.

Getting in touch with your creativity and using your brain to generate ideas is a good way to find new angles. Once you've come up with a name you can use tools like google & overture to decide if they are worth investing in.

I may be industriously pursuing my parking portfolio and growing my collection of revenue generating domains, but it's still at the stage of being a paying hobby and I want to have a bit of fun as well. It's work to read through an expired domain list, it's fun to think up 30 new names & then a bit of hard work to check them out.

•••
drpm said:

Thanks!

it all depends on what kind of domains you are parking , typos domains are one of the best so far for parking system makes good money as more u typos got as more u $$ u get , but needs to be good typos tho ;)

Tv

•••
I have a great typo TM domain that has earnings from type in traffic that I have run for a while.

Here are the earnings since inception. Some months are missing or low due to the fact I was trying other things with it. The last check I recieved for revenue is sitting here on my desk uncashed 433.82 Canadian. I have done some other things to it and have increased the revenue and it just keep going up. 7000.00 USD and it is yours

24-Nov-06 $386.34
24-Oct-06 $306.29
25-Sep-06 $224.99
22-Aug-06 $209.47
20-Jul-06 $252.67
21-Jun-06 $71.70
20-Apr-06 $32.46
21-Mar-06 $172.64
20-Feb-06 $546.69
18-Jan-06 $62.58
25-Aug-05 $28.20
17-Jun-05 $58.94
19-May-05 $39.69
21-Apr-05 $243.06
1-Apr-05 $360.10
18-Feb-05 $363.20
17-Jan-05 $678.50
17-Dec-04 $602.98
18-Nov-04 $489.10
20-Oct-04 $274.10
20-Sep-04 $211.20
18-Aug-04 $164.40
19-Jul-04 $164.90
18-Jun-04 $118.05
20-May-04 $292.00
20-Apr-04 $268.00
30-Mar-04 $280.00
20-Feb-04 $292.00
20-Jan-04 $256.00
18-Dec-03 $260.00
18-Nov-03 $220.00
20-Oct-03 $216.00
18-Sep-03 $140.00
20-Aug-03 $132.00
18-Jul-03 $155.04
20-Jun-03 $144.00
20-May-03 $412.00
20-Apr-03 $276.00
20-Mar-03 $208.37
20-Feb-03 $348.00
20-Jan-03 $240.00
20-Dec-02 $312.00
20-Nov-02 $132.00
20-Oct-02 $108.00
20-Sep-02 $68.00
20-Aug-02 $104.00
20-Jul-02 $88.00
20-Jun-02 $100.00
20-May-02 $128.00
20-Apr-02 $108.00
20-Mar-02 $72.00
20-Feb-02 $36.00
20-Jan-02 $80.00
20-Dec-01 $44.00

•••
I'd say keep trying but always have something to fall back on.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back