IT.COM

Can I buy domain names of reputed websites with different extentions?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Paddy94

Impact
Lets say, for eg. a popular website - koovs.com is selling shoes online. Additionally, when i open the koovs.com website, i see that they have Pvt. Ltd. tag in green colour on the left part of the browser and it is verified by Geo Trust Inc. When i check the domain availability for koovs, the extention koovs.in (county specific extention - India) shows up available. The question is, can i buy the domain koovs.in? and if possible can i build a website selling clothes or anything else using the domain koovs.in?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just see plenty of risk.
What benefit do you feel it would give you?

Purchasing it based off the popular .com site (especially if it's a TM'd term) shows bad faith.

•••
I just see plenty of risk.
What benefit do you feel it would give you?

Purchasing it based off the popular .com site (especially if it's a TM'd term) shows bad faith.
Well, if i am targeting for a specific country say, India, so Koovs.in, therefore i can rank for that keyword "koovs", #1 in google if i do enough search engine optimization for my site? and therefore, all the people searching for koovs within geographical region of india can find my site koovs.in before finding koovs.com

•••
Definitely not a good move.

•••
Well, if i am targeting for a specific country say, India, so Koovs.in, therefore i can rank for that keyword "koovs", #1 in google if i do enough search engine optimization for my site? and therefore, all the people searching for koovs within geographical region of india can find my site koovs.in before finding koovs.com

That's a bad faith registration and you'll likely lose the domain if it goes to UDRP. Lot's of time and money out the window.

Even if your plan worked, that traffic will have a extremely high bounce rate once they realize they're not on the site they're looking for.

•••
That's a bad faith registration and you'll likely lose the domain if it goes to UDRP. Lot's of time and money out the window.

Even if your plan worked, that traffic will have a extremely high bounce rate once they realize they're not on the site they're looking for.
What's UDRP?

•••
•••
i wouldn't myself - could be opening up a whole load of trouble for yourself if the company in question decided to cut up rough and pursue it. just not worth the hassle for me.

•••
Simple answer is NO.

You're going to run into issues with this eventually. It really isn't worth it.

-Omar

•••
don't buy any trade mark domains and extension. buy branded domain and build website

•••
Imagine you are the CEO of Koovs at the moment. Many years back you only had a business idea and passion to fulfil it. You figure out a name you love (Koovs) and start undergoing all kinds of procedures to start your business. Year by year you are getting better at what you do until you reach international fame and already have your brand name work for you. Now imagine that one day you wake up and find that someone just decided to use your fame and reputation and open up another business, which on top of everything is confusingly similar to yours. He is clearly trying to take advantage of what you've worked so hard to accomplish (or mooch off of you for lack of a better word).

Now...what will you do? Will you just forget about it and let the guy be or you will do whatever you can to remove the other business out of existence? Hope you catch my drift... ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back