Dynadot

Can Brandbucket buy its own names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mr. Holgrave

Established Member
Impact
I've only been on Brandbucket for about 2 months and have 9 names on there. Last month I sold my first name and it is still resolving to their site with an "Inquire Now" button instead of a price. My question is this: Is it common for them to buy names from sellers on their platform and then turn them into "make offer" landing pages? It seems like a major conflict of interest if this is indeed the case. Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I've only been on Brandbucket for about 2 months and have 9 names on there. Last month I sold my first name and it is still resolving to their site with an "Inquire Now" button instead of a price. My question is this: Is it common for them to buy names from sellers on their platform and then turn them into "make offer" landing pages? It seems like a major conflict of interest if this is indeed the case. Thanks.

Probably like the creataweb mentioned a payment plan, flaky buyer. BUT...Did you get paid?

You omitted that crucial detail.

Have you read the threads like this one? Insider trading, favoritism by owners and "chosen few" sellers, ethical problems.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/rant-to-brand-bucket.1025221/#post-6212613

Last edited:
•••
Did you get paid or not yet? If you have already received the agreed funds, then it is not your concern to know what they do with the domain name.

•••
BrandBucket does not buy names from the inventory owned by the sellers.

When a domain name is sold at BrandBucket, the "Buy Now" button is replaced with an "Inquire Now" button.

For as long as the buyers keep the BrandBucket nameservers, the domain will display the landing page and the "Inquire Now" button. Often buyers don't change the nameservers for months for various reasons.

There are many successful sellers on the BrandBucket platform. You should not believe the negative comments about BrandBucket, nor the insinuations and allegations and decide for yourself.

Last edited:
•••
BrandBucket does not buy names from the inventory owned by the sellers.

I don't know how often it happens, but on March 9th, 2016 @margotb responded to a NamePros question, and confirmed that she had purchased Toygaroo.com There was a lively discussion about this on page 203 of the brandbucket experience thread HERE.

upload_2017-11-24_14-29-28.png

When a domain name is sold at BrandBucket, the "Buy Now" button is replaced with an "Inquire Now" button.

For as long as the buyers keep the BrandBucket nameservers, the domain will display the landing page and the "Inquire Now" button. Often buyers don't change the nameservers for months for various reasons.

I'm not sure if it still operates this way, but I think once BB detects a domain not being forwarded for X amount of time, the listing remains active (ie logo and description and an inquire button) but the buy now button is removed?

You should not believe the negative comments about BrandBucket, nor the insinuations and allegations and decide for yourself.

Not to be a stickler, but some of the negative comments are constructive criticism, so maybe you meant don't believe ALL the negative comments about bb...? Which is true. Some comments are questions, and some questions rely more on facts, while others are more so based upon frustration. Never believe all the negative comments (or all of the positive comments), and always do your due diligence by fact checking.

I haven't followed much of bb lately. But it appears they are making some major improvements? ie providing customers with analytic stats? Free listing fee's for the growth program or something like that? (rumors that the search has improved?) IDK... like I said, I haven't followed it much, or even logged in. Can you confirm or deny any of these improvements through your experience? Share them in the brandbucket experience thread:)

Last edited:
•••
I’ve sold domains that six months later the nameservers are still mine and I’ve also sold domains where the buyer doesn’t quite know what he is doing and transfers them into a newly created registrar account that has my contact info for the WhoIs - so yeah, even instances where post sale that the WhoIs doesn’t change for months!

I mean if I were dishonest I could re-transfer the domain I suppose and click to accept the change again from my own email! while it’s still sitting there as the WhoIs.

Last edited:
•••
If you have already received the agreed funds, then it is not your concern to know what they do with the domain name.

Yeah? Well its called ethical business and with that marketplace has had ton’s of issues in the past. OP raised an ethics question and you are dismissing it. I responded with a thread of opinions.

•••
I'm just now logging in to see advice. Thank you. Yes I got paid but it DOES matter greatly if BB was the buyer. The Nameserver thing makes sense. Thanks guys. Got some reading to do.

•••
I sold a BB domain on May 5, and it still points to BB. I never asked them what's up, but I was paid.

•••
I sold a BB domain on May 5, and it still points to BB. I never asked them what's up, but I was paid.

Maybe they bought yours also. Lol.

•••
Maybe they bought yours also. Lol.

What is wrong if they buy as long as they did not compromise with the agreed price. Once you sold your product and got paid, it is over, it is not your business to nose around what they did with your domain name. Full Stop.

•••
What is wrong if they buy as long as they did not compromise with the agreed price. Once you sold your product and got paid, it is over, it is not your business to nose around what they did with your domain name. Full Stop.

I happen to stick my nose where things smell. I will continue to comment negative or positive where appropriate. If you read my posts I am very vocal about crap that goes on. It’s a politically incorrect and an unpopular position to go against the flow. I simply dont care, have nothing to sell- no brand, no blog or business to promote and not here to become popular or do business here. Press the ignore button and poof you are gone.

A consignment company like this place has a fiduciary duty to their customers (if they are honest) to give you the most accurate and BEST price appraisal based on their insider knowledge. Buying up underpriced names or not helping sellers increase their rate of return is predatory against perhaps naive or uninformed domainers using their experience and insider sales leads they generate.

They have been proven to favor certain sellers over others on different levels. I know more information about their secret slack channel and like the Scambassadors buying dropped names do.

That behavior isn’t what honest businesses do. That is unless of course if you operate like sales people on a used car lot. The term for that like high grading the inventory.

You can tout them all day, and it won’t change my mind. Maybe you are one of them too and have club membership. As I stated elsewhere, they have no clue about handling house accounts versus outside wholesale distribution, having resellers and sales structures, commissions and organizations. It’s messy and requires someone running the business who understands sales channels and distribution.

Last edited:
•••
I happen to stick my nose where things smell. I will continue to comment negative or positive where appropriate. If you read my posts I am very vocal about crap that goes on. It’s a politically incorrect and an unpopular position to go against the flow. I simply dont care, have nothing to sell- no brand, no blog or business to promote and not here to become popular or do business here. Press the ignore button and poof you are gone.

A consignment company like this place has a fiduciary duty to their customers (if they are honest) to give you the most accurate and BEST price appraisal based on their insider knowledge. Buying up underpriced names or not helping sellers increase their rate of return is predatory against perhaps naive or uninformed domainers using their experience and insider sales leads they generate.

They have been proven to favor certain sellers over others on different levels. I know more information about their secret slack channel and like the Scambassadors buying dropped names do.

That behavior isn’t what honest businesses do. That is unless of course if you operate like sales people on a used car lot. The term for that like high grading the inventory.

You can tout them all day, and it won’t change my mind. Maybe you are one of them too and have club membership. As I stated elsewhere, they have no clue about handling house accounts versus outside wholesale distribution, having resellers and sales structures, commissions and organizations. It’s messy and requires someone running the business who understands sales channels and distribution.

You cannot slap a stamp of dishonesty based upon mere allegations Did anyone complaint that he / she was cheated by Brandbucket? Half knowledge is dangerous. You agreed to their terms, you agreed to the price (even though it is dictated by them), you were given the option to increase or decrease up to 20% to determine the final price. Only on your acceptance of the price and after payment of $ 10 listing fee, they list it for sale. If the price they suggested is not satisfy you, you can ask for a revaluation, if they do not change their mind, you have the option to leave.

•••
you have the option to leave.

And I did. Half knowledge? You have no idea about what I have or have not done to research and had to waste my time to conclude what I did. There were a group of about 5 sellers ranking at the top. That's just one example of all the other concerns other members here raised.

You want to debate, but dodged my statements. Do you know what "Fiduciary duty is?" Do you know what it is to buy a used car? Maybe you are not aware of that, and I apologize if I assumed you did. There are studies I have read where people are polled that one step below getting a root canal is "buying a car". I challenge you to do some work, so why don't you examine the search results and read the threads, and look into various inconsistencies.... and THEN post some data to prove me wrong. I would take that criticism very well. Have you read all these 300 plus pages of the Experience thread and the Rant thread?

•••
And I did. Half knowledge? You have no idea about what I have or have not done to research and had to waste my time to conclude what I did. There were a group of about 5 sellers ranking at the top. That's just one example of all the other concerns other members here raised.

You want to debate, but dodged my statements. Do you know what "Fiduciary duty is?" Do you know what it is to buy a used car? Maybe you are not aware of that, and I apologize if I assumed you did. There are studies I have read where people are polled that one step below getting a root canal is "buying a car". I challenge you to do some work, so why don't you examine the search results and read the threads, and look into various inconsistencies.... and THEN post some data to prove me wrong. I would take that criticism very well. Have you read all these 300 plus pages of the Experience thread and the Rant thread?

What are u talking about? Just say it.

•••
What are u talking about? Just say it.

Where did you pop up from? I am not going to play "Whack a mole". Sorry. I see you are affiliated anyway so why don't you post an educated sales pitch for OP to feel warm and fuzzy about the subject at hand. Tell him your success story.

•••
Have you read all these 300 plus pages of the Experience thread and the Rant thread?

Have you? That's a lot of reading. I don't even think I've read it all. I participated in a lot of it, but still can't say I read it ALL. Kudos for you if you actually did though...

There were a group of about 5 sellers ranking at the top.

When I checked this, the people at the top varied by search. Granted, I saw more names come up more times then I thought should have, but that seemed to be based on a number of other rating factors (and not necessarily a specific coded function for privileged user's to push names to the top). The rank factos were keywords (quanity / quality), categories, and a big one at the time I researched it was pricing. At the end of the day, anybody who had access to optimize their keywords to certain searches, and adjust their pricing seemed to have a distinct search advantage.

It's been a while since I audited their search, and the data is somewhere on an old hard drive. If I can find the time, I might re-audit their search, and see if their has been any improvement and/or where their top searches stand today.

Last edited:
•••
I read it all. Eye opener for sure.

•••

The agreed price that they suggested? lol If they want a name they should buy it outright when the name is submitted. Sorry but it is questionable ethics because they get the name at the price they suggested for 30 percent less.

•••
What bb need is a neutral random display search engine so that names are displayed at the top of the first page completely randomly but as I have a few names listed on bb etc and they I cannot
See any of my names listed there on the homepage even if I select 5L which is what most of them are etc I have searched through 30 odd pages purposely looking for my bb listed names and I can't find them so if I can't find them a potential buyer has absolutely zero change of stumbling across them on bb homepage so my bb listed names must be at the very very bottom of bb inventory eg they can't have a circulation system in place etc

Many have said that they have had to remove their names that they have paid to be listed which were listed and realist them again just so they appear on the bb homepage etc

Bb is still the best place to list brandables but it does need major tweaking to recirculate previously listed and still listed names etc giving everyone a fair chance to sell their names etc

•••
What bb need is a neutral random display search engine so that names are displayed at the top of the first page completely randomly but as I have a few names listed on bb etc and they I cannot
See any of my names listed there on the homepage even if I select 5L which is what most of them are etc I have searched through 30 odd pages purposely looking for my bb listed names and I can't find them so if I can't find them a potential buyer has absolutely zero change of stumbling across them on bb homepage so my bb listed names must be at the very very bottom of bb inventory eg they can't have a circulation system in place etc

Many have said that they have had to remove their names that they have paid to be listed which were listed and realist them again just so they appear on the bb homepage etc

Bb is still the best place to list brandables but it does need major tweaking to recirculate previously listed and still listed names etc giving everyone a fair chance to sell their names etc

Nice idea in sentence 1 but it'll never happen. too much money to be made by "the insiders" :cautious:

•••
Nice idea in sentence 1 but it'll never happen. too much money to be made by "the insiders" :cautious:

Anyone that can create a completely neutral brandable market place for brandable domain names etc would make an absolute fortune

•••
Anyone that can create a completely neutral brandable market place for brandable domain names etc would make an absolute fortune

Oh and it would need to be strictly. Com eg strictly no. Ly

•••

I would love to. But we would be better off working together as a team from this forum (y)

•••
Back