Dynadot

information Buying and Selling crypto and bitcoin domain name advice

NameSilo
Watch

clamking

Impact
Hi

Just wanted to share some info that i didn't know until recently when I tried to sell a few domains.

I have 100s if not 1000s of crypto related domains before but most of them are either bitcoin and 1 word or crypto and 1 word.

When i did research on bitcoin trademark. At the moment it can't be and I don't think bitcoin can be trademarked as the inventor is anonymous besides giving a pseudo name as "satoshi nakamura"

So of course I did some stupid things and did not do my due diligence when i started purchasing a few other domain names that have to do with the other cyptocurrenies such as etherium litecoin etc

These cryptocurrencies can and some of them are already trademarked. I bought 5 etherium related domain names and good thing i only spent under 50 buck total. As i did research and tried to sell them i realized Etherium is a trademark and so are a lot of cryptocurrencies now due to the companies trademarking them

A lot of people may already know this but to the people like me. Before buying or selling there cryptocurrency domain names. Do a little research and see if they are trademarked and if so what are the rules.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thank you very much , its good information .

•••
Its surprising, cryptocurrencies being supposed to be decentralized, certain platforms are being trademarked. Better to go after generic names like crypto and of course bitcoin or btc, which hopefully will not be allowed to be trademarked because of its known popularity.

•••
When i did research on bitcoin trademark. At the moment it can't be and I don't think bitcoin can be trademarked as the inventor is anonymous besides giving a pseudo name as "satoshi nakamura"
Yes. Research is key.

Btw, it was Satoshi Nakamoto,
not Nakamura.

•••
There actually are registered trademarks for BITCOIN in Japan and Europe. Mt. Gox had registered them and they put out a news release anyone can use them because they were registered defensively. Since then Mt. Gox went bankrupt so I am not sure where they stand or if they can be enforce given the news release by Mt. gox. Milly Bitcoin was the first US trademark on the principal registrar. I opposed a BITCOIN trademark and the guy defaulted and his application was cancelled.

As for ethereum, it is not a cryptocurrency. It is "fuel" to conduct transactions on the Ethereum platform and the coins are sold to support the developers. There is an old post at the so-called Btcoin Foundation (which I believe is essentially defunct):

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/the-bitcoin-foundations-view-and-policy-on-trademarking-bitcoin/

•••
Hi everyone I also was browsing to find a strong Crypto name. I found CRYPTOPAYINC.com
I now own the domain CryptoPayInc.com. A great name for a Crypto company. I found several companies in The U.S. with this name that are no longer in existance. I also found no trademark. A name finder helped me with this name. If anyone interested let me know.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back