Dynadot

question Are Bitcoin and BTC trademarks?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
I'm interested in trading cryptocurrency domain names but I'm confused about the words "bitcoin" / "btc" if they are trademark-protected??

"BITCOIN itself is registered as an EU trade mark in the name of bitFlyer Inc., a Japanese company" that's according to the U.K. chartered institute of the trademark attorneys https://www.citma.org.uk/resources/...her-cryptocurrency-brands-trademark-blog.html also says "The picture with regard to trade mark ownership of the word BITCOIN for the core “financial services” is therefore unclear, although in the US, a UK company called Coin Legal Ltd claims to have used the mark BITCOIN since January 2009. The UK and EU trade mark registers appear to show that trade mark applications in the name of various different entities are being accepted for trade marks that cover “financial services” and include the word BITCOIN, as long as it is featured with another distinctive word or brand name. "

This information is from 2019. Is there anything concrete from 2021 and that covers the UNITED STATES and other countries for domain name registrations of "bitcoin" and "btc"?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm currently considering a #crypto domain name purchase from a Namepros member. That's why I'm asking the question about #bitcoin and #btc trademarks.

Last edited:
•••
What a great question.

The game’s best lawyer is @jberryhill.

When doubt, go acronym, over spelled out imo

Samer

Last edited:
•••
It’s like “Wordpress” and “WP”

Go “WP” over “Wordpress” to avoid tm.

I assume same with “btc” “bitcoin” imo!
(Is there a lawyer in the house? ; )

Perhaps, more relevant; “XRP” over “Ripple”?

Samer

Last edited:
•••
There's a popular bitcoin forum (I won't add the link as it will get deleted by @Bravo Mod Team). It's not branded with the bitcoin logo and doesn't look like an official resource. Yet the site uses "bitcoin" in the domain name. I'm sure it would help everyone on the forum to know if this is permitted within trademark law? I'm not going to invest in any bitcoin names until somebody provides a solid answer. I just assumed that somebody on the world's number one domain name forum would know.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Just because one was taken from me doesn't mean a national TM owns every typo, every spelling, of every domain extension, I'm no John berryhill, but domains matter to me, then why didn't they Register it! since I started domaining in Jan 1999.. misspellings should also be trademarked specifically?

Risk/benefit

one np member got me thinking further when said, "is it against the law"

Last edited:
•••
Dropped "EthereumMainnet.com after a np member wrote here that I violated the ethereum trademark :I

Last edited:
•••
Bitcoin is an open source project since 2009 and many already registered domains including BTC/Bitcoin since then, and at the current stage is pretty impossible to register BITCOIN as a trademark IMO no one can appropriate such a successful project which is adopted from big organizations and many people around the world etc.

The one who deserve to appropriate it is: SATOSHI NAKAMOTO, which is the mysterious founder and creator and until now no one know about his/her identity.

As per an example, Bitcoin.com already registered by Roger Ver who hard forked Bitcoin project for Bitcoin Cash... knowing that the original project is hosted on: bitcoin.org domain name, so if it's a trademark BITCOIN.ORG should recover .COM domain from Roger Ver ... why it's not already done? Because of Satoshi Nakamto I think.

Last edited:
•••
Not your keys not yours
In 2019 bought a little BTC on coinbase mr Armstrong actually owned it because I didn't upload any money to the coinbase at all at the time could wait..

So my first Bitcoin purchase officially was last month using simplex on digifinix and inalien my one transaction ended up on two blockchains Roger ver's can be looked up! This is history never before
209243_e73743ac0eba2c236082e26b49e9cb8a.png

209245_e4ac425dadba21f50bb2ce0117c8230d.png

209248_5729a85d9336ec2272d152c4d18bbd71.png

209249_adadb6142d84d407f71d6f4e83a84f69.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210520-173332.png
    Screenshot_20210520-173332.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Screenshot_20210530-184217.png
    Screenshot_20210530-184217.png
    260.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20210530-183037.png
    Screenshot_20210530-183037.png
    241.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot_20210530-181226.png
    Screenshot_20210530-181226.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 133
•••
The I.P. portal lists 223 active trademarks with word #bitcoin additionally pending 169 and inactive 232.

Last edited:
•••
Dropped "EthereumMainnet.com after a np member wrote here that I violated the ethereum trademark :I
According to Namebio there have been many Ethereum domain sales.

The latest was a couple of days ago: ethereumqueen.com

Doesn't seem to be any TM issue.

Last edited:
•••
Yes and with their bank they can afford to keep coming.

•••
•••
There is a green light given for use all over google etc but sounds like term is just taken without going into it.

•••
Off topic; If you have a idea all yours and copied over and over then your idea becomes generic. Ugg boots. Not their idea.

•••
Bitcoin is an open source project since 2009 and many already registered domains including BTC/Bitcoin since then, and at the current stage is pretty impossible to register BITCOIN as a trademark IMO no one can appropriate such a successful project which is adopted from big organizations and many people around the world etc.

The one who deserve to appropriate it is: SATOSHI NAKAMOTO, which is the mysterious founder and creator and until now no one know about his/her identity.

As per an example, Bitcoin.com already registered by Roger Ver who hard forked Bitcoin project for Bitcoin Cash... knowing that the original project is hosted on: bitcoin.org domain name, so if it's a trademark BITCOIN.ORG should recover .COM domain from Roger Ver ... why it's not already done? Because of Satoshi Nakamto I think.

Agreed. The one who could possibly claim a right would be Satoshi. Many businesses exist today use "Bitcoin", "BTC", "Bit", "Bitty" etc in their branding

Last edited:
•••
So the meaning of bitcoin is encryptmoney guess i can live with that till someone buys it.

•••
Bitcoin is bad ...hedge a bet on it, but the fees / transaction times suck. My last BTC transaction took a week for a confirmation

The Altcoin market is the place. For those that know, nobody "builds" on top of Bitcoin, its just the one that people know most

Last edited:
•••
I have one btc domain and others that are most generic.

Last edited:
•••
Back