NameSilo

Trademark Confusions

Labeled as question in Legal Discussion, started by Domainer Sid, Mar 3, 2021

Replies:
Views:

1. Domainer Sid

Domainer Sid Established Member

Sorry If I am posting yet another thread, but I did not find the information I was looking for.

Say there is a trademark named XXX and I want to register a domain with something like AAAXXX.COM
    or XXXAAA.COM where AAA can be a generic English word. Please suggest if such names are acceptable and do not violate the trademark rules by any means.

OR if both AAA and XXX are trademarked, can I use them as a combination?

Since most of the English common words are trademarked , does it mean that I cannot use them in my domain names?

Any guidance would be highly helpful.

Thanks,
    ~Sid

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. frostify

frostify Top Contributor VIP

The general rule (take this with a grain of salt) is that if the domain can be perceived as 'confusingly similar' then the trademark holder may be able to file a legal dispute.

Example 'Apple' is a trademark by the tech company but is also a generic word.

AppleTablets.com - This would be a trademark violation and is not allowed.
    HealthyOrganicApples.com - This would not be a trademark violation because it's not confusingly similar.

Hope this helps.

3. Domainer Sid

Domainer Sid Established Member

Thanks @frostify. And what about combinations? Example: Both Block and Chain are separately trademarked, but still we are openly using Blockchain as a single word. Why the owner of "Chain" not complaining that they are promoting to "block" their trademark?

4. karmaco

karmaco Top Contributor VIP

You are overthinking it. A trademark does not mean that no one else can use that word again in their name (with a few exceptions). If its a generic dictionary word you are likely good as long as you don’t conflict with their mark. If its A name that is universally recognized, trademarked and not a dictionary word example Google— stay away.

5. TauseefKhan

TauseefKhan Top Contributor VIP

You are right. almost every dictionary word is trademarked. But, there is a lot to it.

6. DuDD

DuDD Established Member

I think it depends on what the domain name is

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice