Dynadot

discuss Buyer taking time to start the domain transfer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I sold a 4 letter .com domain in the recently concluded 4L domain auction at Sedo. The buyer promptly paid for the domain, but hasn't started the domain transfer yet (been a week).
Has this happened to you before? I mean the winning bidder looked pretty desperate to get the domain!
The domain is at Godaddy.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've had this happen at Escrow. Probably all you can do is ask Godaddy to keep sending email reminders to the buyer until he does it.

•••
The transfer process is being mediated by Sedo. So Godaddy doesn't know who the buyer is (yet).

•••
Sorry, that's who I should have said to contact.

•••
Let me wait for 2 weeks. I hope Sedo has a policy in place to take care of such cases though.

•••
I had exactly the same issue.

Sedo asked to me to push the domain name to [email protected] (Epik) and I received the funds.

•••
This happens to me all the time at Sedo, and with one transaction, it took almost a month.

I'm not sure why buyers do this, do they get caught up in other business, are they unsure of how to transfer, scared to make a mistake, keep delaying it because of that, have Alzheimers?

In one case (a .CA) the buyer had absolutely no clue on how to transfer a domain, and kept replying back with "the domain code is not valid", so I confirmed with the registrar it was valid, confirmed it with the registry, and even did "partial transfers" where I confirmed it was "transferrable". Sedo also confirmed the buyer was from Canada and was using a CA address/contact.

After that, Sedo apparently took the reigns and immediately did the transfer for the buyer to his GD account, but it was a long and irritating slog.

Last edited:
•••
Let me wait for 2 weeks. I hope Sedo has a policy in place to take care of such cases though.

If it's a .COM or other standard gTLD, it should be no problem and they can transfer and hold it at Epik. If it's a ccTLD or other esoteric new gTLD, it depends on the requirements of that extension. Sedo won't be able to transfer/hold with region-limited ccTLDs (other than maybe DE and US) or other gTLDs with alternate requirements.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back