IT.COM

.info bu.siness.org and ar.ticle.info - What do you think about these domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Last week I got idea from the domain del.icio.us, I read it as "delicious", then I register www.siness.org and add a sub domain http://bu.siness.org. So people can read it as "business". I also registered www.ticle.info and add the subdomain http://ar.ticle.info

Do you think it is good to do something like this? I do not know how the price would be if I develop these domains and sell it? Would someone please give me comments about using domain like this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Thank you, nice informations.

•••
•••
ethix said:
personally my opinion is for a domian hack to have resell value it needs to be rather short like blo.gs

I would agree with the above statement. If you are going to use domain hacks, to have value they need to be one words & incorporate the name together with the extention, eg. blo.gs & foru.ms, etc.

•••
I don't like them at all :td: JMO :)

edited - ^ By this I mean all domain hacks including del.icious and the like !

Last edited:
•••
cesarian said:
Last week I got idea from the domain del.icio.us, I read it as "delicious", then I register www.siness.org and add a sub domain http://bu.siness.org. So people can read it as "business". I also registered www.ticle.info and add the subdomain http://ar.ticle.info

Do you think it is good to do something like this? I do not know how the price would be if I develop these domains and sell it? Would someone please give me comments about using domain like this?
Honestly I am not fan of domain hacks.
It's much more difficult to promote a domain hack for sale and good sales are rare.

Of course a mediocre domain can be successful with strong marketing but it's more the exception than the rule. Actually it should be the other way round: a domain name should be the best form of advertising and speak for itself :)

The problem you have with bu.siness.org is the 2 dots, like del.icio.us.
IMO it makes the domain way harder to remember than a single dot domain like blo.gs for example.
Therefore my appraisal would be $0.

Regarding del.icio.us I can never remember where to put the dots - it tells you how memorable this domain is... waste of traffic and encouraging typosquatting :lol:
If you want to get into hacks you need to keep it short and simple IMO.

•••
sdsinc said:
The problem you have with bu.siness.org is the 2 dots, like del.icio.us.
IMO it makes the domain way harder to remember than a single dot domain like blo.gs for example.

Regarding del.icio.us I can never remember where to put the dots -

If you want to get into hacks you need to keep it short and simple IMO.
In addition to that statement I think a domain hack should mean something by itself first before you can create a sub-domain. I really think del.icio.us is not a domain hack because without the subdomain it would read like icio.us. On the other hand blo.gs means something without a subdomain. Now you can create a subdomain like

my.blo.gs
personal.blo.gs

I have a domain hack gr.am and by itself without a sub means something. Within that domain I can create many subdomains like

dia.gr.am
ana.gr.am
kilo.gr.am
tele.gr.am
histo.gr.am
mammo.gr.am

•••
xman said:
In addition to that statement I think a domain hack should mean something by itself first before you can create a sub-domain. I really think del.icio.us is not a domain hack because without the subdomain it would read like icio.us.

I don't think that's entirely necessary for something to be considered a domain hack, and I would consider del.icio.us a domain hack.

Overall though, I agree that unless the name uses the extension as part of the hack, it loses a lot of coolness. Look at Dom.ain.com or D.omain.com vs. Doma.in. No contest IMO (even if ain.com would be a nice name to have :)).

•••
Personally I think regs like this, is why there are so many registrars. 'If people are just going to throw away their money, ..someone may as be there to catch it!'

•••
ain.com is no question a good domain to have. AIN doesn't have to mean anything because by itself this is a very valuable domain a LLL.com. Absolutely AIN is good domain to have and I agree.

•••
why the f are they called domain hack? :imho:

•••
I think it has to do with the potential audience.

For example, a comedy site with a domain hack would be great because the audience will get it.

A Business site with a domain hack is a terrible idea because the "professional" audience won't really appreciate it or "get" it.

•••
How about a ms hack Love.org.in :)

Or do you have a headache? How about Excedr.in?

•••
Personally, I hate domain hacks. They are just too confusing to end users. Particularly7 when you have to think where to put the dot....now is that de.licio.us, del.icio.us, deli.cio.us, or something else. I have an account at del.icio.us, and I personally wish they would change it to delicious.yahoo.com.

I agree that if you have one, you should avoid subdomains that add the second dot. To me there are so many other choices, that I don't know why anyone would choose one. I think they might work for casual users, but your business example I don't think would fly with the business community.

•••
thank you for the replays. But how about my new domain grabyour.name. Is something like this much better?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back