NameSilo

What do you think about .rocks domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
What do the ppl here think about .rocks domain ? I tried to get eminem.rocks as i'm his fan and wants to start a website related to eminem... it is parked though .. how much do you think should I offer to buy it? It is worth spending a lot in it? I mean will I be wasting my money ?? Is there a possibility I can sell it later for a premium price?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
its a trademark for sure.

•••
Lol leave it alone really

This whole idea .sucks

•••
Not a fan of .rocks, and certainly not a fan of regging celebrity names.

•••
•••
Some hacks for ya:

Throwing.Rocks
OneThe.Rocks
Crack.Rocks
Smoking.Rocks

•••
Some hacks for ya:

Throwing.Rocks
OneThe.Rocks
Crack.Rocks
Smoking.Rocks

Pound.Rocks was available too.... the only .rocks name I like.

I have LegalizeCrack.com which kicks the last two's a$$ - lol.

•••

LegalizeCrack.com is far superior to those hacks... it even feels wrong to compare those hacks to this domain.

•••

If ever owning a domain might get you onto a watch list, lol. Hey legalizeterrorism is available in the .com. LegalizeCrime is taken though, alas. LegalizeWar.com is available. ;P

•••
rocks is currently number 16 in the top 20 gtlds. I registered fracking.rocks because we have huge problems here in Australia with fracking and cold seam gas. Fracking as you may know is the act of pumping toxic cocktails of chemicals through the shale to crack the seams to extract gas. So rocks (as rocks in the earth and not music etc is appropiate). For Australian info on the fracking mess here see lockthegate.org.au

Last edited:
•••
purchased one domain for personal use with .rocks extension..

•••
Only purchased 1 .ROCKS domain (which tends to be the way I do business). I was finally awarded it today so I am pretty happy with that.
Now just need a showcase thread for .rocks.

•••
My personal blog is a .rocks - of course, because I do rock, ey? ;)

•••
Hmmm.... I am not totally sure how I feel about .ROCKS yet however, it is ranked #22 in the nTLDs which is not huge but to my knowledge it has not *given* away names either like some other tlds.

So there may be some value to the name.

I was thinking of getting "BoxOf.Rocks" as a name... but havent gotten around to it yet.
Hmmm...

•••
Hmmm.... I am not totally sure how I feel about .ROCKS yet however, it is ranked #22 in the nTLDs which is not huge but to my knowledge it has not *given* away names either like some other tlds.

So there may be some value to the name.

I was thinking of getting "BoxOf.Rocks" as a name... but havent gotten around to it yet.
Hmmm...

Stats for .rocks were boosted by a 2 days sale on Namecheap for $0.99 on last black Friday and cyber Monday.

•••
Stats for .rocks were boosted by a 2 days sale on Namecheap for $0.99 on last black Friday and cyber Monday.

I was looking at the stats... there was 3,723 names sold that was recorded/reported on 11-29-14.
There were 680 names sold on the following day.

You are correct that it was padded (just a little) but out of the nearly 33,000 domains registered to date, its not comparable to say XYZ for padding.
It was only on Namecheap?

Cheers

•••
Not a fan of this extension either, however if i was to invest in them I would for sure stay away from any celebrities, band names, etc.. Those are just asking for potential litigation or financial loss down the road. I think that I might target the more obvious non-trademarkabe / non-copyrightable domains such as, but not limited to: Polished.Rocks, Flint.Rocks, Granite.Rocks, etc.. One could easily find a full list of rock types on wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rock_types - Note: This is not investing advice, I would not personally invest in these because I don't sell rocks nor am I looking to develop a rock based information site. - To each their own though, do your own research and invest with caution. not all rocks are created equal and many are not popular at all.

•••
I own a lot of .rocks domains (over 30 I believe).. it sounds vibrant and positive. None of mine are TM or celeb names though, Eric gave great advice up there.

•••
I was looking at the stats... there was 3,723 names sold that was recorded/reported on 11-29-14.
There were 680 names sold on the following day.

You are correct that it was padded (just a little) but out of the nearly 33,000 domains registered to date, its not comparable to say XYZ for padding.
It was only on Namecheap?

Cheers

Well 11,2% of the total registrations just on that day. Yep only on Namecheap on that day, have no clue if there were any more deals on this extension on other places during the whole year.

•••
Please don't get me wrong, I am not defending the extension. As I mentioned above, I only have 1 name within this extension (just to hedge my bets really). If the extension becomes valuable, I have a great keyword name (with 151000000 global monthly search and $1.92 CPC) that took several months for the registration to come through.
If not... it was a $15 and a domain name that I can still have fun with.
It is worth the few dollars to me.

My original point however was geared towards XYZ and how they are/have been giving away free domain names. Second or third rung terms are going to be gobbled up (which they were) because... hell... its free.
When renewal time comes around... I do not expect those numbers to stay where they are (which is probably true of most new extensions).

Again not making excuses but even .Club saw a boost on 11-29-14 of 1965 names sold that day and 1735 names sold the day after considering the average has been about 550+/- names leading up to and since those 2 days. (.club has much better marketing)

It is not my domain extension of choice either.
I have yet to find a nTLD that really tickles my fancy but there are a few that interest me.

Cheers

•••
Please don't get me wrong, I am not defending the extension. As I mentioned above, I only have 1 name within this extension (just to hedge my bets really). If the extension becomes valuable, I have a great keyword name (with 151000000 global monthly search and $1.92 CPC) that took several months for the registration to come through.
If not... it was a $15 and a domain name that I can still have fun with.
It is worth the few dollars to me.

My original point however was geared towards XYZ and how they are/have been giving away free domain names. Second or third rung terms are going to be gobbled up (which they were) because... hell... its free.
When renewal time comes around... I do not expect those numbers to stay where they are (which is probably true of most new extensions).

Again not making excuses but even .Club saw a boost on 11-29-14 of 1965 names sold that day and 1735 names sold the day after considering the average has been about 550+/- names leading up to and since those 2 days. (.club has much better marketing)

It is not my domain extension of choice either.
I have yet to find a nTLD that really tickles my fancy but there are a few that interest me.

Cheers

Nothing bad about seeing both sides of an investment. Yeah .club were on $0.99 on Namecheap that day although there was a limit of the quantity on those.

•••
Yes, even if .rocks and .club were both launched on the same day (given current trends), .club will still have 3 times the number of registrations as .rocks.
I am not trying to compare one to the other. I do not own any .club (at the moment but working on some things).

There may be some value to the extension (*some* being the operative word). I do hope that the extension does garner some value as that will filter down to my 1 name.
Damn straight I will put my name up in a heart beat if I found that there was any value to this extension.

Does anyone know if there has been any .Rocks sales?

Just curious.

Cheers

•••
Yes, even if .rocks and .club were both launched on the same day (given current trends), .club will still have 3 times the number of registrations as .rocks.
I am not trying to compare one to the other. I do not own any .club (at the moment but working on some things).

There may be some value to the extension (*some* being the operative word). I do hope that the extension does garner some value as that will filter down to my 1 name.
Damn straight I will put my name up in a heart beat if I found that there was any value to this extension.

Does anyone know if there has been any .Rocks sales?

Just curious.

Cheers

I'm active in a few domain forums in different languages and I have yet to spot a .rocks aftermarket sale, also there is no sale reported on dnpric.es. Was joking around when the extension launched that I would reg collect.rocks, apparently it has been regged now :|

I see no reason to "invest" in .rocks whatsoever at the moment, there is so many other extension that makes more sense and are more useful.

•••
I am going to pick on .ROCKS for a moment (but this is true in many of the extensions, it just so happens that I was last looking at .ROCKS so I will pick on them).
What in the ever liver heck are they thinking?
$59k (as in 59 thousand dollars) for the registration of many keywords BUT it does not end there.
In stead of getting the proverbial reach around for the money spent, they give you the shaft again with a renewal rate of $59k.
So just to own a domain for 2 years, you are looking at $118,000 spent.

Do they want to see these domains?
This is true with many of the nTLDs. I am pretty sure they have lost their mind(s) collectively.

Just wanted to toss that out there.

Cheers

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back