Dynadot

domains .BTC domains now available

NameSilo
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
Recently launched within the Bitcoin sidechain, Stacks, a domain name service (DNS) called BNS (Bitcoin domain name) which allows you to use names like “example.btc” instead of wallet addresses.

The release was posted by Stacks sidechain founder Muneeb Ali on his Twitter. In the thread, he briefly explains how it works, highlighting that these domains work in a decentralized way, and that they were written in the Clarity programming language.

Stacks is a sidechain that works on top of Bitcoin. This allows the creation of smart contracts through its own programming language, Clarity, thus facilitating the development of decentralized applications on its own blockchain. The platform uses its own token called STX.

The use of .btc domains, until the time of writing, is operational for the interaction between portfolios (send and receive) or between the different decentralized applications available in Stacks. In the case of .btc web domains, it is still in the testing phase, which has a web bridge, since traditional web browsers do not yet have compatibility.

read more (explica) / registration @ btc.us

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Lox Appreciate the share, I'll take a look at that

•••
•••
Not used Stacks yet, has anyone here ordered? Or knows how this thing works ...maybe I'm being thick. I'm putting an order in

Last edited:
•••
Too much bullshit. First you need to create a wallet. Then you need to buy stacks because this is the only currency accepted to buy .btc
There are some exchanges available that deal in stacks so if you are not already signed up there, create account then verify account by uploading government ID. Then buy stacks and use them to buy .btc

•••
Yeah, it does look like a lot of bs. I've got Binance so getting the 5 bucks in Stacks isn't an issue ...I'm just wondering where to send the Stacks / how all this works ...its probably simple, but I don't see what I'm doing lol

•••
.btc regs. going faster than the speed of light.

Bcc.jpeg

•••
It will be a flash in the pan for the next while...get in and flip would be the course I would take.

•••
If I own buy.btc, I cannot use it in a web browser? What the hell?

•••
If I own buy.btc, I cannot use it in a web browser? What the hell?

Yup. You can only use it in two ways:

1. Either use it to send/receive money so for e.g. if someone wants to send you money then instead of giving your crypto address you will give this name such as namepros.btc (this is what I understood)
2. Or use it as subdomain for e.g. namepros.btc.us which will redirect to your main site

You cannot use it as namepros.btc in browser as it is not currently supported.

•••
i have registered two domains just for fun!

365.btc

0000.btc (4 zeros)

btw, Brave & Opera brwsers are currently supporting .btc domains according to Stacks founder, more browsers are coming. I may use them now as a redirect to my portfolio or twitter, Beside using them as an easier address recognition.

1 thing i did not like is how slow Stacks network is, it has to be the slowest network in the business.

Last edited:
•••
i have registered two domains just for fun!

365.btc

0000.btc (4 zeros)

btw, Brave & Opera brwsers are currently supporting .btc domains according to Stacks founder, more browsers are coming. I may use them now as a redirect to my portfolio or twitter, Beside using them as an easier address recognition.

1 thing i did not like is how slow Stacks network is, it has to be the slowest network in the business.

How was the process? Did you first buy BTC then exchange them with STX and then paid for domain or you directly bought STX using CC/Paypal and then paid for domain?

•••
How was the process? Did you first buy BTC then exchange them with STX and then paid for domain or you directly bought STX using CC/Paypal and then paid for domain?
1) I sent some crypto change to Binance, convert them to STX.
2) installed STX chrome extension & sent STX there from Binance.
3) purchasing a domain requires 2 transaction; one to backorder the domain & another to register it.

it is a simple process but as i said, it is an extremely slow network, so make sure you have some coffee first.

Hope this helps,
Amr

•••
@AK85 When you create more than one account, can you essentially have an account for "one.btc" and "two.btc" (using this as an example for domains) - Two entirely, separate sending places, as domains (if that makes sense) ...that's what I am gathering from it ...I've accidently made another account, so I'm stuck with it as it cannot be deleted according to what I've read

•••
1 account 'address' for 1 domain, i think it make sense. if i send you 1 btc to one.btc you want it to get into 1 address, not two.

I was looking at there blockchain and seems like many are registering domains and that's why it is slow. i think i will read more about them to know how it really works.

•••
@AK85 Yeah, just getting the hang on it. I'm getting myself a couple for fun also

Last edited:
•••
God I have no idea what anyone is talking about here lol. Its like a whole other world/language that's so hard to understand. Would be great if a few of us here make some dollars from this but realistically is there any chance of this becoming a widely accepted thing while it's so converluted?

Last edited:
•••
is there any chance of this becoming a widely accepted thing

nope. just another cash grab like unstoppable domains. .btc isn't a reserved name and will surely be part of the next round of NGTLD's so just gonna be a complete mess.

•••
God I have no idea what anyone is talking about here lol. Its like a whole other world/language that's so hard to understand. Would be great if a few of us here make some dollars from this but realistically is there any chance of this becoming a widely accepted thing while it's so converluted?
Trust me it's not that complicated, if you've ever used crypto before you can follow easily, if not i would really advise you to check some videos on YouTube on how to use wallets, send & receive funds...etc if you have faced any issues I would be happy to help you :)

•••
Trust me it's not that complicated, if you've ever used crypto before you can follow easily, if not i would really advise you to check some videos on YouTube on how to use wallets, send & receive funds...etc if you have faced any issues I would be happy to help you :)
Very kind of you, thanks.

•••
handshake domains,another scam

•••
I don't plan on buying any of these. Do they have marked up prices for premium names?

I would rather have a .crypto domain, with no renewal fees:

https://unstoppabledomains.com/

•••
Too complicated...If a domainer is having hard time to figure out this stuff, then what about an end/user ?

•••
There is a lot of bs involved for those new to Crypto. The convenience of sharing your ".btc" than putting in the full deposit address, that's pretty neat. Overall for transacting in Bitcoin (for those that know), its horrible. Fees are horrible, transaction delays are horrible ...my last BTC transaction took over a week. If you're doing transactions, you're better off with an Altcoin (such as BCH, DASH, XMR ...other)

I'd like to see something with one of those (same concept), but ".bch" , ".dash", ".xmr" ...

Last edited:
•••
If someone wants to make a few million dollars very quickly, create a easy web interface for people to search and register these using btc or credit cards, you could change a big premium. Just off NP you'll make 100k

•••
Back