NameSilo

Broker not presenting offers to owner

Labeled as registrars in General Domain Discussion started by Arfhan Shah, Sep 11, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Active Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

At one point of time, I evidenced the similar situation when a friend of mine (sort of a lawyer / dentist / etc, meaning not an IT guy) inquired somewhere about some domain for his small business. He inquired himself first, received far from professional response from some "broker", and so asked me to step in :) I reviewed the negotiations on his laptop and it was Uniregistry messaging. On another end it was not a real broker hired by Uni. A diferent style. The "brokers" name was somebody I never dealt with as a domainer. And there were a couple of buttons inside the inquiry suggesting to "send a message to seller" or "contact Uniregistry support" - also an indication of self-proclaimed broker.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. eurorealtor

eurorealtor Active Member VIP

I worked with many DNS brokers, I believe are the same as Uniregistry Brokers (correct me if I am wrong) and they were always at the high level of good behaviour. I could always read emails between buyer and broker. They always presented any offer to me, even offers under the floor price.

3. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Uni brokers may be a pain, but from my perspective it is very clear that the owner doesn't want to deal with domainers presenting floor price offers, only end users.

4. frank-germany

frank-germany F1lter.com xpired domain search engine Gold Account VIP

I really don't like the brokers behavior
    who ever that is

low ball offers for a domain are common
    and its part of the business
    to find what the real sales price can be

5. topdom

topdom Established Member

Why use a broker?
    They are playing hard to get.
    A bunch of LLL.com owners can agree not to sell anything below a certain range, and after a few fake but verifiable sales make it industry standard. While you can't sell your LLL for mid-5 figures, they can sell theirs for mid 4 figures easily at forums, because they determine the standards. Why break standards and lose profits, while their domains are already liquid enough. Sit on them forever, They are cash in the bank.

Btw, I'm not against this type of speculation. I suspect this thing is happening elsewhere in domain industry as well, so I bring such a possibility into consideration.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  6. James Rayers

James Rayers Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I no longer bother enquiring about purchasing domains at Uniregistry. It's really geared up for massive end user sales.

7. Recons.Com

Recons.Com Active Member VIP

This might explain why Uniregistry brokers act like douchebags ))

8. gilescoley

gilescoley Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

9. lock

lock Traffic.tools VIP

We all want LLL for cheap and your still low balling.

10. equity78

equity78 Top Member TLDInvestors.com TheDomains Staff PRO Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Good point, I have had clients who said my ask is $50,000 don't bring me $5,000 offers I won't counter. I don't think it's the best way to do business because you never know what could happen. But more than one domainer over the last 20 years has quoted the old Linda Evangelista line:

I don't get out of bed for less than $10,000 a day. Sometimes making the amount $100,000.

11. James Rayers

GAB.com for $220K just about shows why this bid was ignored.

12. Crypto King

Crypto King Upgraded Member Gold Account

Totally different domain mate. You can't compare car.com with ieo.com for example

13. eurorealtor

eurorealtor Active Member VIP

I disagree. In case of LLL .com anything may happen, some investors buy and make just "few grand" to make a profit and they move to another domain (this is your chance to buy LLL .com for reseller's price), but some investors would rather wait years to find the right buyer for the right price (this is the case of domain you have chosen to invest into) IMO.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  14. DomainChap

DomainChap Upgraded Member Blue Account VIP

Uniregistry brokers come in all flavor,
    i tried to acquire a good domain,
    and it was a similar response, the weird thing is that 18months later, their brokers are still sending a reminder to restart the discussion with always the same minimum offer(high five figure for a 2 word french domain WTF)

some other brokers are more flexible, and it seem that after some time they switch broker per domain.
    you can always submit a support ticket to uniregistry as feedback, you may get someone else as a broker

and all the speculations above are useless until the owner see your best offer,
    some broker are deal killer,
    maybe the owner need cash and the broker can't know that for sure

15. Crypto King

Crypto King Upgraded Member Gold Account

I couldn't agree more!

16. James Rayers

I understand what you're saying but 'gab' is a pronounceable slang term. There seems to be some alignment based on your original post.

Either way I'm not a fan of Uniregistry brokers.

17. Recons.Com

Recons.Com Active Member VIP

I don't know what "gab" means in slang, but gab.ai is a social platform similar to twitter, allegedly for and by alt-right. It is alexa 9800 site, so gab.com becomes really valuable automatically.

I assumed they bought it, but apparently another social platform went for it (could be Russian).

18. Grego85

Grego85 Quality.Domains VIP

If you made an offer of 50k to a real estate agent for a home listed at 250k would you really expect them to take you seriously?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  19. carob

carob Active Member VIP

I can confirm this because you can see the written messages they send clients. Often if you set a high minimum offer, you can see they don't actually tell the client that or the amount, they just say the owner has asked for serious offers to start discussion.

Maybe they think stating a high floor price would scare people away? They do seem to have stock phrases and approaches they use, but some do clearly say what the minimum offer is in their messages.

Can you make an offer for the domain via Uniregtistry make offer page, and does that flag up a minimum? Haven't tried that but have seen brokers send clients to that page to make a real offer.

20. DomainChap

DomainChap Upgraded Member Blue Account VIP

for the domain that i really wanted at the time, i made a 2000$ offer,
    but they told me that i need a much larger offer, and quoted a ridiculous price for a 2 word french keyword
    they pretended that they received other offers,
    but i doubt that, because they never stooped sending emails trying to restart the negotiation,
    even when i told them that i moved with another domain for this project

and my offer was off the table as soon as i acquired another domain for this project

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  21. Rachco

Rachco Established Member

That's an interesting one .
    Could you please share what this 2 word domain was ?
    That could help as i'm currently sitting on a super common 1 French word domain.

22. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

If only I could plant Uni brokers in my garden.
    They would make perfect scarecrows :-P

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: