Dynadot

Brandroot are after Brandbucket listed names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello everyone.

Here is part of an eMail I got today from Brandroot. I have some names listed at Brandbucket; and Brandroot are offering incentives to transfer them.

"If you're interested in listing free with us, respond to this message for your personal coupon key, which you must use when you are on the edit domain details page (before you verify the name.)

Additionally, if you are interested in moving your names from BrandBucket to Brandroot, we offer great incentives to do so, including double the free listings, lower commission paid to us for the names you move over, and featured listings on a select few. If this interests you, please respond with the list of names you would move over and we will get back to you with what we can offer you and the names we would like to take to our site.

We have had a couple of individuals who have taken this opportunity and even sold a couple that were moved over within a month of being on our site. If you're not getting the expected results from your brandables at BrandBucket, give Brandroot an honest try. You most likely won't regret it.

Keep in mind that BrandBucket requires a 30 days notice for any names moved from their site."

I guess they're after everyones business in an aggressive way. I haven't sold any thing at Brandbucket; but I will leave my names there for now.

Regards

Ralph.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't like it. That kind of business tactics smacks of desperation. Slightly unethical in my view.
In this industry calling something "slightly unethical" is almost like a better business bureau A+ rating.

Last edited:
•••
<3 Happy by pharell is an amazing song.

Last edited:
•••
I guess I don't understand why people get so worked up and are quick to foreshadow the downfall of others. BB/Namerific/BR aren't doing anything to discredit the domaining industry. They are making money, are helping others make money, and operate ethical businesses. With all the vitriol going on, you would think they are running a pyramid scheme or something.

It's their whole, "here, this is shiny," approach.

Are you familiar?

Here, this is shiny! It's perfect, and highly desirable! There can be only one owner... and today it can be you! Someone else will own this today, why let them own your shiny thing when you deserve it.

Unfortunately after you buy it, you realize it was just a polished piece of poo.

This is the brandables, and like the shiny thing, at its core it stinks.

•••
Imagine if one of these sites listed a brandable name that suits brand sellers? And it was a better name than theirs. And someone bought it and conquered the brandable market just from having a better name.

Because, really, the main 3 don't have very good brand names themselves.

I have BrandSeek.com if anyone is interested ;)

•••
Imagine if one of these sites listed a brandable name that suits brand sellers? And it was a better name than theirs. And someone bought it and conquered the brandable market just from having a better name.

Because, really, the main 3 don't have very good brand names themselves.

I have BrandSeek.com if anyone is interested ;)

Develop it. Have a branable-bonanza!

•••
We are in different leagues then, and your not being able to comprehend my experience with whats going on in todays market is understandable. You can lead a gTLD to water, but you can't make a .horse drink. (zing)

I don't buy for $2.95 and hope for $500 to $5,000. I buy for $2.95 and know I can sell for $xx,xxx and up.

My buyers are higher-end 'small business', close to 'big business' scale.

Please don't be offended by what I am saying; you take great offense to both facts and opinions, and it is one of the greatest hurdles to get over.

When I entered into domaining I had a conversation with one of the worlds top domainers, and he told me that my list was 'pretty light'; to put it nicely. My first instinct was, "well what does he know?!?!"

I too was a bit offended.

Domaining is personal, we rise and fall on our own decisions and picks.

However after I took a step back from by hubris I reevaluated my approach and started investing smarter, now I do regular five figure deals with developed and undeveloped names.

I've been a developer for over a decade, I know that if I started any venture with some of the terrible brandable domains on the market it would be a failure.

If anything is an indicator of just how much lunacy goes on in 'brandables', BrandBucket turned down a name I get decent offers for once a month and their 'appraisal' process is just idiotic. It's all just shots in the dark while they appraise their own privately held names higher than the rest.

I said it before and I'll say it again, owning a GOOD brandable is a smart buy, buying a poor quality domain like TecqWhis from Brandbucket or ANY brandable site is just stupidity.

Buy gibberish, and your product comes off as gibberish, unless you have angel investors throwing money at you... and at that point you will have to ask yourself why you just spent $3k on Hawttly when you could have owned a decent name for $15k.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't sell crap to anyone just because I could make a profit. It's a personal perspective, and one that has always paid off. Sell good names, sell for good prices and everyone is happy.

I hope your thread achieves rank for the keyword "brandbucket", ;) we know what you are up to silly.

Cheers!

I don't take offense to anything, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. None of it's personal and I hope you haven't taken anything personally either. Forums are for learning, so what better way than to have some heated conversations with a little more depth than your usual "How can I sell my crap domains?" thread.

My rant earlier wasn't directed specifically at you, though. It was built up from all of the hate and bashing brandable market places receive. You've shifted the conversation from brandable marketplaces to personal preference of brandable domains, which is not what I have been arguing about.

I don't focus my domaining strategy on brandable domains, and have stated several times that I personally don't think that is a wise route to take if you want to be a successful domainer. I have about 20 brandables in a portfolio of 170, and for a while now I have only been focused on aftermarket domains.

If you go back and re-read my posts, you'll see that I have been only defending brandable marketplaces because you started by saying things like:

"brandable domain charade"

"Their "free listing" strategy is a bit of desperation as well, they know whats going on, and what's to come of 'brandables'."

"Companies want 'brandables', but not the trite Brandbucket is offering."

"A company would much rather spend $20k on a domain name then have a laughable online presence for $5,000."

"BrandBucket has had its heyday, and now it's over."

I even ended my last post saying:

Lastly, you're exactly right, as a domainer it would not be wise to reg 100 brandables and hope to sell one. A lot of newbies will make this mistake and get burnt, but that is the domainers fault. The marketplaces just provide the market and take a cut, and there is no denying that there are endusers in the market for brandables. Period.

So this entire time I've been explaining why there is a market for brandables, who makes up the market, and ultimately, how brandables marketplaces will not be going anywhere because they are genius and get to make money off other peoples brandables without having to ever register a single one.

And if you're implying that I'm a brandbucket shill, you're dead wrong. I have domains at all 3, design logos at all 3, and wish all 3 the best. However, the thread was originally regarding brandbucket and they also just made some huge changes. While I support all 3 and, as an unbiased domainer I honestly believe BB is the best marketplace, which I'm sure just about everyone can agree on. BB may very well be surpassed in time, but they are the pioneer that shaped the structure of brandable marketplaces several years ago and they have made the most sales and generated the most revenue. Namerific isn't even 2 years old yet, and the founder Zane originally even worked for brandbucket. Then brandroot is still in it's infancy and just now starting to become more popular. So it's pretty self-evident that it isn't exactly an even playing field..

•••
You will have to excuse me, It's that time of the month and I enjoy reading your paragraphs.

Best of luck with your listser endeavor!

Cheers!

•••
unless they are actually SELLING the names, I dont see why I should be paying ANY fees to get it just listed...I still like brandbucket but I always sell names of my own and while I have close to 10 decent names on bb (one of them being single dictionary word .com), none of them sold...so yeah...kinda disappointed. However, i sell domains every other day to both resellers and endusers but never sold a name via bb or namerific...I think thye now just want to listing money and they are happy with that...they dont care if your domains sell...

I can't speak for BB but we incur immediate costs per name that we accept at Brandroot. Not only do we pay our logo designers $3 per logo design that is accepted (in addition to releasing the logo award when it sells) but we also pay our writers to define names. Not to mention the time it takes to get the name finally published. These sites are not like Sedo, they are not a quick auto-listing, done just by the lister. It takes man power to get the names defined, designed, organized and listed.

As for our traffic, we receive about 5k unique visitors per day (all organic) and rank higher than BrandBucket and Namerific for almost all keywords that we target. We introduced this offer because we're confident your names will see more people than at our competitors. Our traffic has never stopped growing and our business plan has never stopped improving. We also received a huge influx of names after this offer was sent out. Thank you for your patience as we get your names accepted and designed!

•••
I can't speak for BB but we incur immediate costs per name that we accept at Brandroot. Not only do we pay our logo designers $3 per logo design that is accepted (in addition to releasing the logo award when it sells) but we also pay our writers to define names. Not to mention the time it takes to get the name finally published. These sites are not like Sedo, they are not a quick auto-listing, done just by the lister. It takes man power to get the names defined, designed, organized and listed.

As for our traffic, we receive about 5k unique visitors per day (all organic) and rank higher than BrandBucket and Namerific for almost all keywords that we target. We introduced this offer because we're confident your names will see more people than at our competitors. Our traffic has never stopped growing and our business plan has never stopped improving. We also received a huge influx of names after this offer was sent out. Thank you for your patience as we get your names accepted and designed!

I will say I'm definitely the biggest fan brandroots designer policy. I just wish all of the names pending logo weren't always taken! :(

•••
I will say I'm definitely the biggest fan brandroots designer policy. I just wish all of the names pending logo weren't always taken! :(

Thanks @listser. They get taken fast with the $3 incentive, which was the reason for the incentive, to decrease the wait. Now the design wait is nearly non-existent. We just approved a great logo designer who has made close to a 1k in less than a couple months with us. He gets them pretty fast and provides great work.

•••
Thanks @listser. They get taken fast with the $3 incentive, which was the reason for the incentive, to decrease the wait. Now the design wait is nearly non-existent. We just approved a great logo designer who has made close to a 1k in less than a couple months with us. He gets them pretty fast and provides great work.

I knock em out pretty quick, but I've primarily been designing at bb and nr lately just because the queue has been backed up with plenty of names to design at any time. Brandroot doesn't have an email notification feature that I've noticed, so I forget to go check availability. Or do you have the option and I just missed it?

•••
@listser we do have an email notification that goes out everyday any time there are logos waiting.

•••
•••
In this industry calling something "slightly unethical" is almost like a better business bureau A+ rating.
:D

Bare shoulder + backpack straps are just SO damn hot! Just sayin'. Sorry, off topic.

•••
I currently have three names listed on brandbucket. Has anyone sold anything on brand root? Would it make sense for me to transfer my listings to them?

•••
@great_domains you probably don't want to hear from me, but yes we sell several names every week for domainers. So far this year we've released over $30,000 to domainers, but I'm sure BrandBucket's number is much higher, given that their site has over three times the domains as ours and have been around much longer. I would recommend giving Brandroot a try with other names of yours and which ever site makes you the most money, go all in at that marketplace. We want Brandroot to speak for itself. If we're not producing, tell us to take a hike.

•••
Forgot to add that we only just recently opened our marketplace to domainers at the beginning of March this year. Currently, the majority of Brandroot names belong to us.

•••
Forgot to add that we only just recently opened our marketplace to domainers at the beginning of March this year. Currently, the majority of Brandroot names belong to us.
Thanks, am i able to list my names in both marketplaces? Is imo the best way to compare success of both marketplaces.

•••
@great_domains with BrandBucket's terms alone that wouldn't be possible. Brandroot also requires exclusivity, which I've detailed the reasons why, here.

•••
unless they are actually SELLING the names, I dont see why I should be paying ANY fees to get it just listed...I still like brandbucket but I always sell names of my own and while I have close to 10 decent names on bb (one of them being single dictionary word .com), none of them sold...so yeah...kinda disappointed. However, i sell domains every other day to both resellers and endusers but never sold a name via bb or namerific...I think thye now just want to listing money and they are happy with that...they dont care if your domains sell...

Alistair,
They sold one of my names this month. I submitted 10 names (These were names rejected by BrandBarrel and Namerific but I just wanted to test out the platform)

I was really pleased with how fast things were done.
May 17 - Submitted 10 names
May 22 - 3 accepted - 7 rejected
May 24 - Logos completed/Listing Published
June 11 - Offer Made on 1 name/Offer accpeted
June 13 - Name transferred
June 16- Payment Received

Meanwhile, I am still waiting for three names at BB to go live that were accepted on May 26.

As long as Brandroot doesn't start accepting everything under the sun and start taking a month or more for names to get published they are worth a shot for a test anyway. My test worked out well and I will submit again in the future when I pick up some names.

•••
Apart from BrandBucket being very slow with their application procedure, I am still very happy with them and have achieved far higher prices for my brandables there than at Sedo.

•••
Apart from BrandBucket being very slow with their application procedure, I am still very happy with them and have achieved far higher prices for my brandables there than at Sedo.

I agree.
Have sold a couple of names via BrandBucket this year and the amounts were also much more than I would expect from Sedo. I also don't mind the wait too much either since I have seen some results. I won't stop using BrandBucket because Brandroot made a quick sale for me for a name not accepted at BB/Namerific. Instead, I look at it as an additional option.

The good thing about having a choice with the marketplaces is that one platform may like a name and the other doesn't.

•••
I currently have three names listed on brandbucket. Has anyone sold anything on brand root? Would it make sense for me to transfer my listings to them?

I would definitely list names at all 3.

If you submit your names at all 3 it's likely one will accept a name that another declines and vice versa, so that's a good place to start in deciding where to list your name. Then if you have names accepted by all 3, try and diversify among them.

As they say, never put all your eggs in one basket!

Sidenote: I will say that NR may not be the best option at the moment if you're in a hurry to have it go live. The logo design queue is pretty backed up, and has been for a while. And because there is no set order, a logo designer could claim it the same day or it could sit there for months.

•••
I have a decent number of names listed (and sold) with both Brandbucket and Namerific. More recently i decided to list around 15 or so of newly acquired names with Brandroot to see how they do. I haven't sold any yet but i have been happy with both the speed of the listing process (an area where the other two sites are under-performing imo) and the agreed listing prices (an area where i feel BB has been lacking lately).

•••

I've just listed a few domains with you and I have to admit the logos your people created were head and shoulders above the competition ( especially compared to some of the horrible stuff BB has created for me. ).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back