NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
That's just nuts in the extreme. His site states:
provides similar features to BrandBucket at a reduced price plus additional benefits BrandBucket doesn’t have.
Optically, at the very least, this is really bad.

•••
•••
provides similar features to BrandBucket at a reduced price plus additional benefits BrandBucket doesn’t have.

Almost gotta admire this level of boldness.

•••

Does anybody have any experience with BrandBucket.Shop?

Do we need to create a new BrandBucket.shop thread, or can we discuss our experiences with them here?

I'm tempted to figure out who's behind it, if it's not already known.

EDIT: BrandBucket.Shop currently has 21 domains published. All 21 published domains WHOIS show Ruben Botn-Joergensen as the registrant.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I have sold 6 names on BB this year. I feel a lot of my names don't need brandbucket. I will list them for sale at afternic\godaddy and undeveloped. Now my domains will be marked as "available" on godaddy. I think bb is pricing the names too low and the 30% commission is extremely high for names that can sell by themselves. I am speaking of names ending in ERR, LY, IFY etc.. and strong two words..

•••

Do we need to create a new BrandBucket.shop thread, or can we discuss our experiences with them here?

EDIT: BrandBucket.Shop currently has 21 domains published. All 21 published domains WHOIS show Ruben Botn-Joergensen as the registrant.
It looks like he has a TM for brandbucket: https://trademarks.justia.com/872/50/brandbucket-87250042.html

•••

Or just be bolder. Someone should create BrandBucketShop.shop. Or .club, so someone can go on with the game later.

•••
I have sold 6 names on BB this year. I feel a lot of my names don't need brandbucket. I will list them for sale at afternic\godaddy and undeveloped. Now my domains will be marked as "available" on godaddy. I think bb is pricing the names too low and the 30% commission is extremely high for names that can sell by themselves. I am speaking of names ending in ERR, LY, IFY etc.. and strong two words..

I thought BrandBucket is better than any other marketplace for keyword+sufix like zy sy ly za zo... type of names.
For two words I agree that some listed domains are underpriced and they don't need BB to get sold.

•••
I thought BrandBucket is better than any other marketplace for keyword+sufix like zy sy ly za zo... type of names.
For two words I agree that some listed domains are underpriced and they don't need BB to get sold.

I think startups look for Word+ly on godaddy. They don't need BrandBucket.

•••
Most countries give the trademark to the company that's first to apply not first to use. If someone was using the BrandBucket name in the U.S. then BB could do something about it even though they don't own a trademark but in other countries if you don't have a trademark in that country then you have no legal ground to stand on. Unfortunately it's a big world and if you don't protect your name internationally then you're screwed. At least that's the way I understand it. Maybe @jberryhill could chime in.

•••
•••
I've been pleased:

2 sales (over 30 days, weirdly) in 2016 ...and 6 sales over the last SIX months in 2017.

I've learned to live with the commission as the offers I get elsewhere are for a fraction of what these end up selling for on BB.

IMO, if you don't like the take-home price, don't list.

•••
Most countries give the trademark to the company that's first to apply not first to use. If someone was using the BrandBucket name in the U.S. then BB could do something about it even though they don't own a trademark but in other countries if you don't have a trademark in that country then you have no legal ground to stand on. Unfortunately it's a big world and if you don't protect your name internationally then you're screwed. At least that's the way I understand it. Maybe @jberryhill could chime in.

I came across it the day after they got awarded and was surprised, they have a U.S. tm not just international.

•••
I've been pleased:

2 sales (over 30 days, weirdly) in 2016 ...and 6 sales over the last SIX months in 2017.

I've learned to live with the commission as the offers I get elsewhere are for a fraction of what these end up selling for on BB.

IMO, if you don't like the take-home price, don't list.

6 sales congrats, can you reveal any names?

•••
I came across it the day after they got awarded and was surprised, they have a U.S. tm not just international.
This guy applied for the U.S. trademark on November 25, 2016 and BrandBucket applied January 20,2017. It shows the status of BrandBucket's trademark as Non Final Action Mailed which most of the time means it was denied. So this guy applied for it 2 months before BrandBucket and got it approved. Even though BrandBucket has been using this name for many years this guy may be able to some how refuse the real BrandBucket from using the name since he now owns the trademark for it. Will be very interesting going forward on what happens with this. Would love for @jberryhill to chime in with his thoughts on this.

•••
I have to be honest, domaining has showed how evil some people can be just to make money...feeding off others and not minding the frustrations they cause.. from top auction houses to every nook and cranny that you look... i am fucking sick of it all.

•••
Even though BrandBucket has been using this name for many years this guy may be able to some how refuse the real BrandBucket from using the name since he now owns the trademark for it. Will be very interesting going forward on what happens with this.
His application would have been published to allow for opposition. Have to assume that the real BB didn't know, or didn't oppose his TM.
I have to be honest, domaining has showed how evil some people can be just to make money...feeding off others and not minding the frustrations they cause.. from top auction houses to every nook and cranny that you look... i am f*cking sick of it all.
I'll go out on a limb here - this is the type of action of someone with a grudge. I wonder is there some history here between the TM holder and BB?

•••
•••
What I find odd is that Brandbucket (dba Boxador) first applied for a TM for "Brandbucket" in 2009. The TM was then cancelled and shows as "Dead" in June 2016. They re-applied in January 2017, but by that time "the other Brandbucket" had already applied for the TM. Apparently the most common reason for a TM being cancelled is failure to maintain the registration with appropriate fees etc. Sort of like a dropped domain... Not sure what happened to the "real" Brandbucket in this case.

•••
I'll go out on a limb here - this is the type of action of someone with a grudge. I wonder is there some history here between the TM holder and BB?
When he first launched on the .org there was a tagline about his marketplace being open to all sorts of names, and not just being a source of rejection (something along those lines). It seems his BrandBucket marketplace was created primarily to spite the .com after they rejected his domain submissions. Surprised to see that he is continuing his vindictive campaign against BB one year later, even going to the extent of trademarking BrandBucket. Those rejection emails must have affected him badly.

•••
Curious, was BrandBucket recapitalized, sold recently, or spun off?

The reason I ask - the original Trademark was filed under the "Boxador Inc" corporation with a
"FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20070215", then Ruben as an individual filed a "FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20170501" for the term, and then the new entity "BrandBucket Inc." corporation filed a "FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20070701"

It appears that Boxador Inc (a branding company) either forgot to file a "Section 8" renewal during 2016 or intentionally was in the process of recapitalizing its organization with or without Ruben (or possibly another party) participating as an investor and then the new entity proceeded to re-filed a new USPTO Trademark in 2017 under the newly capitalized BrandBucket Inc corporation.

Coincidentally, ALL (3) USPTO FILINGS were filed with the USPTO office using identical IC 035 codes, similar descriptions, and the type of Trademark filing for each was a type "(4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK" (aka - a character set or text filing) for the identical text term BRANDBUCKET.

These were all filed with the USPTO office for U.S. Service mark purposes.

The patent attorney (USPTO office) would have easily picked up on the overlap before granting an Opposition Period to either Ruben or the new company BrandBucket Inc.

Boxador Inc easily could have filed an opposition during Ruben's Opposition Period, however, since their original SM was cancelled early prior to Ruben's Opposition Period window of "Published for Opposition May 2, 2017" it would have been more difficult to challenge unless the oversight of not filing an opposing was intentional or Boxador Inc had already initiated the process of filing for a new corporation BrandBucket Inc. Not sure why Boxador didn't simply ASSIGN the Trademark to the new BrandBucket Inc corporation but there is likely a valid business (or tax) reason for not doing so.

Bottom line - who currently owns "BrandBucket Inc" and is running the show??

>> The new CA corporate filing for the company shows "MARGOT L BUSHNAQ " so appears to be a spin off situation.

My gut - either Ruben is an investor (and the operating unit & BB site were recapitalized under a separate holding company) or Ruben is trying to hijack the "BRANDBUCKET" U.S. Trademark and the domain with perfect application timing when applying for his U.S. trademark application.

Too much money involved to be an amateur mistake of not filing a Section 8 renewal especially given that BB promotes themselves as a branding company, so it had to be a conscious act.

Conspiracy theories aside - the evolution of the "brandables" marketplace and its players is quite fascinating. It's only a matter of time before a larger corporation starts a strategic roll-up play and gobbles up a few of them.

The next couple of years should be interesting. Especially if the new entity "BrandBucket Inc." decides to raise outside funding for growth.

------------------

Serial Number 77712824
Filing Date April 13, 2009
Published for Opposition
August 11, 2009 (THEN GRANTED REGISTERED in OCT 27, 2009)
Owner
(REGISTRANT) Boxador Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE #449 8391 Beverly Blvd. Los Angeles CALIFORNIA 90048
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Cancellation Date June 3, 2016

Serial Number 87250042
Filing Date November 29, 2016
Published for Opposition
May 2, 2017 (THEN GRANTED REGISTRATION in OCT 3, 2017) (19 days before 8 year renewal expired)
Owner (REGISTRANT) Ruben Botn-Jørgensen INDIVIDUAL
NORWAY Edvard grigsvei 5 Kolbotn NORWAY 1410
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Serial Number
Filing Date January 20, 2017
Published for Opposition (NOT YET granted a "Published For Opposition" period, therefore, not granted Registration yet)
Owner
(APPLICANT) BrandBucket Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 8391 Beverly Blvd 449 Los Angeles CALIFORNIA 90048
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

---------------------

Last edited:
•••
Wow, @slimjim270 , thank you for the great overview of this issue!

•••
A quick follow-up...

Someone in a PM asked how does my prior post relate to my BrandBucket Experience?

It clearly does, and allow me to explain how...

My prior experience and observation of BrandBucket's management is that they are making conscious decisions to build an independent operating unit, one that could be self-funded and/or one that could raise external capital on it's own as a separate operating unit to the Boxador Inc holding company. This is a typical new product/service spin-off model. A healthy evolution of an operating business.

In parallel, my experience has also been that management holds their cards closely and does not engage their suppliers (sellers) in a typical Channel Management model. Over the past couple years this has led to several larger portfolio holders leaving their platform to either start their own platform or test other marketplaces to see if greener pastures exist.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back