Dynadot

Brandable names - Worth renewing?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
So after discovering $1-3 GD coupons in December I had a little shopping spree that resulted in almost 100 names, mostly brandables :rolleyes:

I sold some and from those that remained the first will expire in January 2016

Now I have a decision to make, do I renew them all (it would be around $1000), do I pick only the best ones and just auction the rest here? How do you even choose which ones to renew and which to get rid of?

And before you say - send them to Brandbucket and let them apprise. Well I did that - they picked around 15 and to be honest I'm not sure what criteria are these guys using.

For example I have a name Amilea - I think it's very brandable and in fact I see it's an actual first name. Every month I see some "sale page" views. But according to BB it's not even worth $1600? While they have stuff like "vuxxy" for $2600?

So yeah - how do you determine which (if any) brandable domains are worth keeping?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Its tough to say without seeing the names

I think "Amilea" is ok, but unfortunately most people would spell it incorrectly if they heard it and that makes a big difference with brandable names

If it was "Amelia", now thats a different story

•••
Just like gilescoley stated above, it's tough to say what would be good keepers to renew and what would probably be best to let expire.

Brandables are kind of tricky in that what you/me/he/she/etc. think is brandable might not be seen the same way as other people. Take a look in the marketplace threads here and see what some people think are "Brandables". One man's junk is another man's brandable seems to be accurate in many cases.

•••
Just like gilescoley stated above, it's tough to say what would be good keepers to renew and what would probably be best to let expire.
Exactly so what would you do?
Renew all?
It's around $1000 so one sold domain would cover all expenses but still you actually have to SELL at least one...
Any other places that will tell me which are junk not worth keeping?

•••
No, I cant say renew them all without seeing them, if they are good brandables, then renew them, if not, let them expire

You have to be very patient with brandables

•••
Exactly so what would you do?
Renew all?
It's around $1000 so one sold domain would cover all expenses but still you actually have to SELL at least one...
gilescoley's last post hit the nail on the head. Perfectly said.

•••
As you have them with GD you could download the domain list from GD to see how many whois lookups they have. Might be of help to determine what to renew and what not.

•••
Feel free to post them here and you will get some idea on whats good and whats not

•••
As you have them with GD you could download the domain list from GD to see how many whois lookups they have. Might be of help to determine what to renew and what not.

How to do that?

•••
•••
Interesting, I didn't know they give these statistics...

I don't want to post them here since Google will index the list (namepros is always high in search results) and even after editing it will stay caches for weeks or even months...

•••
You did a smart thing to reg for $1-$2 a pop. With some experience, one can reg some good names , sell just a couple and make a profit.

Now with $10ish a pop, it's a different story.

You can try to guess how many of them you will sell in one year (like 2-5 ?) and the average price. Perhaps the worst case scenario already brings you on top, in which case you should renew. Otherwise keep the BB accepts and what you feel has potential and ditch or auction off the others.

IMO an "low-to-average quality" brandable is not worth the $9 yearly fee, in other words I don't think 100 such brandables will yield $900 within one year, which is the break-even point.

•••
This is something you should be able to figure out yourself. But you can still post the domain for opinions.

Brandables are not easy to assess but some are clearly better than others (when it comes to pronunciation for instance).

•••
I don't want to post them here since Google will index the list (namepros is always high in search results) and even after editing it will stay caches for weeks or even months...

Hi

make your own choice, but.....

that notion is contrary to the idea of promoting one's name

as much i see folks waste money paying SEO dudes/dudettes to get indexed for keywords, here you turn down opportunity get visibility for free.

imo...

•••
"Good and pronounceable names are worth keeping. Bad and unpronounceable names are worthless"
Great and logical advice.

OK, how much do you think these are worth:
Altmkt
Galxz
Zunzy

•••
•••
I would keep Zunzy and drop the other two.

•••
•••
•••
I think this is a simple decision. You said you sold some? How much did you make? Were you profitable this year? If you lived in US and weren't profitable, I wouldn't do any renewals until 2016 to preserve your possible deduction for tax loss. Anyway, if maintaining annual profitability is important to you, then renew as many as you can with the profits you made, then work on selling the remaining. Obviously everyone knows when they have a few duds that can be trimmed, that's just part of the annual business cycle.

•••
Altmkt is not brandable and not pronounceable.
As for the BB list, some names are good, some are ok, and there is also a bit of luck involved. Domain sales are unpredictable, brandables are even less predictable.
Generally speaking a good brandable should be pronounceable, reasonably easy to spell and remember. A good brandable should also sound nice, have some branding/advertising potential. It should even stir emotions.

You say you bought 100 and sold a few. Perhaps you have noticed some difference in quality between the names sold and those that are still unsold ?

•••
I don't want to post them here since Google will index the list

Why wouldn't you want them indexed, you are trying to sell them right?

Altmkt
Galxz
Zunzy

Nothing brandable about these I'm afraid, I would let them go

•••
You say you bought 100 and sold a few. Perhaps you have noticed some difference in quality between the names sold and those that are still unsold ?

I only sold here - mostly the names I didn't think are that gearat or wanted to get rid of.
Average price would be somewhere around $5. Many I could barely sell for $1-2
E.g. Axenos.com for $1 - is it really worthless compared to say: Galxz?

•••
So after discovering $1-3 GD coupons in December I had a little shopping spree that resulted in almost 100 names, mostly brandables :rolleyes:

Have you joined the GD Discount Club? If not, after your cull, check it out it could be worth your while?

•••
Good thing I still have a few months to decide - to be honest I rather let them expire than sell them for $1-2

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back