Dynadot

Brandable names - Worth renewing?

NameSilo
Watch
So after discovering $1-3 GD coupons in December I had a little shopping spree that resulted in almost 100 names, mostly brandables :rolleyes:

I sold some and from those that remained the first will expire in January 2016

Now I have a decision to make, do I renew them all (it would be around $1000), do I pick only the best ones and just auction the rest here? How do you even choose which ones to renew and which to get rid of?

And before you say - send them to Brandbucket and let them apprise. Well I did that - they picked around 15 and to be honest I'm not sure what criteria are these guys using.

For example I have a name Amilea - I think it's very brandable and in fact I see it's an actual first name. Every month I see some "sale page" views. But according to BB it's not even worth $1600? While they have stuff like "vuxxy" for $2600?

So yeah - how do you determine which (if any) brandable domains are worth keeping?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
About the only one which one which stood out for me was #62, which isn't exactly a brandable. I think you can see that registering brandables is a crap shoot. Some look crap but sell on places like BB, and others look ok but are not accepted on places like BB. If you don't know what you are registering then you shouldn't. It was maybe easy to convince yourself to gamble $100 or so last year, but you should have had your plan in place about what you are going to do when they expire. Overall, I'd say keep the best 5 (from comments here) and drop everything else. You've probably more than broken even on those you have sold here and elsewhere.

Addendum: Renewing brandables is equally a crap shoot.

•••
I had a look and cant see any that are really nice brandables

You can usually tell with brandable's these days, if they are available, they usually aren't worth registering, think about the 1000's of people that try and think of these names every day. You have to buy brandable names from existing owners in this day and age, all the good ones are gone

Still cant understand why you want people to refer to the number and not the domain, is there a reason you don't want them indexed??

Its tough selling good brandables as you have to be patient to find someone who wants that exact combination of letters, have average made-up word is going to only cost you renewal fees with no sales

•••
OK, general consensus is - I suck at picking brandable names ;)

Actually you are probably right - about not picking just a random 5-6 letter names. I just sold 2 word "brandable-ish" domain to an end user (he contacted me), in a form of xxxxxgallery. A few months ago I couldn't even get $5 for it here...

So for the names that were chosen at Brandbucket - should I even bother paying $10 to list them?...

•••
I would say, only if you intend to renew them.

•••
Renew, Don't Renew, ..... it's all speculation.

What you need, is a MILKING COW constant revenue source to pay for your speculation game.
Try to focus on building atleast a few milking cow domains that generate sureball moolahs.

When you have a constant stream flowing into your wallet, you get more relaxed, less pressure. You now have more time to refine your brandable picking skills.

p.s. I tend to believe that picking brandables that click, is more of a talent rather than a skill. Right-brain lefties, are more good at this i suppose.

•••
Renew, Don't Renew, ..... it's all speculation.

What you need, is a MILKING COW constant revenue source to pay for your speculation game.
Try to focus on building atleast a few milking cow domains that generate sureball moolahs.

When you have a constant stream flowing into your wallet, you get more relaxed, less pressure. You now have more time to refine your brandable picking skills.

p.s. I tend to believe that picking brandables that click, is more of a talent rather than a skill. Right-brain lefties, are more good at this i suppose.
do you mean to pick brandable names that have traffic? or parking income?

•••
do you mean to pick brandable names that have traffic? or parking income?
Not based on current metrics, but based on speculative branding potential.

Looking at metrics, does not require as much brain power or talent, compared to doing speculative imagination and eventually being proven right on the money.

•••
Not based on current metrics, but based on speculative branding potential.

Looking at metrics, does not require as much brain power or talent, compared to doing speculative imagination and eventually being proven right on the money.
All what I understand from your comment is that a generic brandable is better because can suit several business. If this is not what you mean I do not get your concept, sorry

•••
I have sold domains in the mid $x,xxx that wasn't approved by BrandBucket.

Also on BB, you can find underpriced domains and over priced crap domains.

If you are not sure that you like your domain, it might be a sign that it is not worth renewing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back