Dynadot

question Worth renewing .it.com domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Leo2k

Established Member
Impact
I have registered a single word popular Computer related name, taken in 500+ ext, in .it.com ext.

The problem is, we can list it only in Sedo as Dan/Afternic/Godaddy doesn't support listing this ext.
Sedo doesn't show ngtld domains in the search results even if the buyer is searching for the exact match keyword. Your domain availability will only be known if someone searches using the full name.it.com.

Is it better to renew it or drop it? Has anyone had any success with .It.com or a positive idea about it in the future?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Even it is a sub domain, and I guest alot of domainers here will suggest to drop it, but Namebio indicated alot of good sale on it.com domains. So you can guest yourself is it worth or not depends to the keyword you have. I don't filter the list from about 40 domains sold, might be some are above 10k.

IMG_20240123_113159.jpg

•••
Last edited:
•••
I guess that these domains were "sold" by the it.com registry, and are in fact just premium registrations.
Yes, might be they are the registry sale. But if alot of persons willing to pay the premium price to the registrar, it still indicates a good sale, isn't it?

•••
Last edited:
•••
This extension must be one of the most ridiculous ever. Even if they gave me 1000 names for free, I would not take them. It makes XYZ sound awesome.

Last edited:
•••
Is it better to renew it or drop it? Has anyone had any success with .It.com or a positive idea about it in the future?
Hi Leo2k,

First, let me disclose that I am the Director of Sales for it.com. I check in here from time to time but I’m not a big poster. Thanks for your question, I feel it will be helpful to chime in. I’ve read through the posts here and will do my best to address the questions.

Regarding whether to renew, it’s highly personal. Domains as investments are always speculative. I’ll only say that we are committed to our success as a registry and the long term success of our registrants… and we don’t discriminate against domain investors.

I’ve worked for three different registry providers over the years providing service for over 100 various extensions and new tlds. I have always been an advocate for domainers. They are the first to support a new registry and should be appreciated.

Many of the higher sale amounts shown in this thread are our premium sales. We have about 3000 premiums in our registry ranging in price from a few hundred dollars to about $10k. Our model is commonly called “high/low”, where the renewal is at the regular annual price instead of the premium fee. We contracted with Sedo to promote them and have had good success.

We ran our Sunrise from January through February this year and signed up hundreds of brand names under it.com.

We are talking to all registrars and are making good progress but there are still several not offering them yet. Stay tuned. The it.com domains are available now at about 25 registrars and resellers, including some wholesale registrars (in case one would want to sell them as a reseller). These include 101domain, InterNetX, CentralNic Reseller, Porkbun, Connect Reseller, and more.

You can see a more complete list here:
https://get.it.com/for-registrars

Thanks again for your question. We certainly hope you will renew and are doing all we can to support the Domainer community. Feel free to write me directly at joe (at) it.com if you need more information.

All the best!
Joe

Last edited:
•••
@joezeppy Would you think IT.com is a Registry success story, or a Domainer success story?

Last edited:
•••
@joezeppy Would you call IT.com a Registry success story, or a Domainer success story?
Hi Future,

We are primarily a registry, so I have to go with that. As to being a success story, we’ll need more time to determine that.

Our official Sunrise start date was Jan 2 2023. I think we’ve done great for our one-year marker. We’ve signed up hundreds of brands and about 25 registrars. We didn’t quite reach our goal of 10k domains under management in 2023 but we’re close and will certainly exceed that number this year.

•••
We are talking to all registrars and are making good progress but there are still several not offering them yet. Stay tuned. The it.com domains are available now at about 25 registrars and resellers, including some wholesale registrars (in case one would want to sell them as a reseller). These include 101domain, InterNetX, CentralNic Reseller, Porkbun, Connect Reseller, and more.
Thank you the reply Joe.
Adding more registrar's will help you sell the domains to the end users who are looking for a keyword in the particular extension (.it.com). But how well it will sell the domain to someone who searches just for a particular keyword? To suggest .it.com availability it needs to gain popularity. I remember you were sponsoring domain summits and doing other promotions. But how well are you promoting it to the end users to gain popularity? As a domain investor I have seen your ads in the domain investors discussion forums. But, if I were not a domain investor I would have never known this ext, as I have not seen its promotions anywhere else.

For the domain investors to successfully sell a domain, the marketplaces have to let the potential buyers see it's availability. Here, we are missing (Dan,Afternic - GoDaddy).

The only choice is Sedo. When you list at sedo,
Domain availability of keyword.it.com will never be shown to the buyers unless they search for the fqdn full domain name with ext keyword.it.com. When you search for just the 'keyword', it never shows the availability of keyword.it.com. Sedo prefers to suggest some alternative keywords domains that are available in .Com and few other top gtlds. They don't show even if the exact match keyword.it.com is listed there for sale.
Result: No exposure.

Is there any scope for GoDaddy and in turn Dan/Afternic to allow .it.com extension in the future? If not, result: No exposure.

•••
Went through the 10 sold examples given by @Surya Giri Kurniawan response given:

play-it-640x480.jpg

For over 50k worth of sales across 10 subs there doesn't seem to be a lot happening. In my mind all these sub-domains based on IT .com are worthless because you could own your own domain and just make something like:

it.example.com if you needed something directed to that division for your business.

There's better ways to satisfy domain investments, sub-domains aren't it.

•••
Hi All,

I respect your opinions; I'm not here to tell anyone what to do or think about third-level domains. We think they're a great way to expand the namespace, and that is our goal. From 2012 to 2020, I worked on hundreds of new gTLD launches (managed sales at 101domain). it.com faces difficulties that those didn't (almost automatic adoption by registrars), so I don't deny that we have a challenge ahead of us. But we are prepared, and we are up to the challenge.

Leo, to address some of your questions;

We agree with your assessment regarding registrars and reseller platforms. It's our goal to sign them all up. For our first year, I'm very happy with where we stand. I don't want to betray any confidence here, but we expect to sign on many more in 2024. That is one reason we sponsor so many industry trade events. We also support industry events as our way of supporting domain investor's rights. We've been part of the ICA since the day we began offering our domains. I cannot speak to specific registrars (or reseller platforms) who do not yet support our domains. You're right. We need more of them to succeed. We know that, and I can only say that we're working on them.

As to HotKey's comment, we don't tell our premium registrants that they have to develop the domains. That's up to each of them.

So I guess I'll just end this post by saying I'm happy to answer reasonable questions. We need more time to achieve all of our objectives. I worked with CentralNic from 2000 until 2012. In 2001, we were selling only 5 or 10 (3rd-level) domain names each week after a full year in business. We had no ICANN registrars on board, and all of our growth was organic. That company ended up going public in 2013 and has become one of the largest registries in the world. At it.com, we have funding, we've achieved ten times that momentum in one year's time, and I'm happy with where we are and where we're going. I've been there before.

Wishing you the best!

•••
Feel free to write me directly at joe (at) it.com if you need more information.

All the best!
Joe
Hi Joe, I was thinking about this and got some ideas which may be helpful for you. You might have already done those things but if you are okay I can send you a DM with your permission.

•••
In my experience: At the end of January, I transferred metaverse.it.com to Porkbun. A month and a half later, the domain appears to be registered in two places at the same time, has not been renewed, and is now in the expiration period. Porkbun says they can't do anything except wait. It.com has not responded to my emails. Meanwhile, my domain has expired, and I will likely lose it because I can't renew it.

Behind It.com's advertising lies a disorganized technical team that, in a month and a half, has been unable to resolve something as basic as a domain transfer/renewal.

If I had built something on my domain, I would now be facing a significant headache. I would prefer to build my business on Facebook rather than rely on It.com

•••
In my experience: At the end of January, I transferred metaverse.it.com to Porkbun. A month and a half later, the domain appears to be registered in two places at the same time, has not been renewed, and is now in the expiration period. Porkbun says they can't do anything except wait. It.com has not responded to my emails. Meanwhile, my domain has expired, and I will likely lose it because I can't renew it.

Behind It.com's advertising lies a disorganized technical team that, in a month and a half, has been unable to resolve something as basic as a domain transfer/renewal.

If I had built something on my domain, I would now be facing a significant headache. I would prefer to build my business on Facebook rather than rely on It.com
Were you able to resolve it? Which registrar was that? I tried to transfer mine today from Regery but after trying to unlock the domain it just shows pending update for hours and the domain options are now greyed out.
Contacted support, they replied after sometime saying code has been sent which is not true till now. And now their support hours is closed.
Wondering if it's something to do with the regery side or the it.com.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back