Dynadot

discuss Brand name testing for Anonymous Smart Search aggregator

NameSilo
Watch

Which names do you prefer for an Anonymous Smart Search engine?

• 1st

SearchIt.com

votes
    40.8%
  • 2nd

Toki.com

votes
    25.9%
  • 3rd

Decrawl.com

votes
    18.4%
  • 4th

Searchful.com

votes
    5.4%
  • 5th (tie)

Incogne.com

votes
    4.8%
  • 5th (tie)

Vesh.com

votes
    4.8%
  • 5th (tie)

Unicrawl.com

votes
    4.8%
  • 6th

AskSite.com

votes
    4.1%
  • 7th

Brung.com

votes
    3.4%
  • 8th (tie)

Searchcow.com

votes
    2.7%
  • 8th (tie)

NetNut.com

votes
    2.7%
  • 9th (tie)

Updig.com

votes
    2.0%
  • 9th (tie)

Jaroo.com

votes
    2.0%
  • 9th (tie)

Yoxt.com

votes
    2.0%
  • 9th (tie)

Lookue.com

votes
    2.0%
  • 10th

Qhain.com

votes
    1.4%
  • 11th

Zuwk.com

vote
    0.7%

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
Epik has been developing a series of new platforms including Anonymize.com, Armored.net, Us.Tv, Watchmask.com, and more on the way.

Recently, Epik has been developing an Anonymous Smart Search aggregator. This new brand is intended to power an alternative to Google.com, Bing.com and DuckDuckGo as a domainer-friendly and censorship-light search engine. You can see a preview here. We have also been inviting name suggestions here.

This is a poll of a reduced set of submitted candidates to screen for the top-4 to be poll-tested outside of NamePros to select the finalist.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
And the winner is .... TOKI.COM

We ended up spending a lot more than we intended. However, we think the brand name has great potential. We are excited to put the domain to work.

The seller is on NamePros, but the terms are confidential per the seller's request.

Toki wil start as search but will become increasingly intelligent and transactional -- there will be no ads, but there will be convenient integrations to search, connect and transact

We have hired a highly regarded anime designer to create the Toki avatar. What should you know about Toki?

Well, Toki means "rabbit" in Korean. Apparently every Korean kid knows the Toki song about the rabbit.

Our version of Toki is going to be a little more sophisticated. Toki is:

- Smart
- Fiercely loyal
- Fearless truthseeker
- Good with money
- Always on time
- Discreet, i.e. can keep a secret
-Social and friendly
- Has a great memory
- Knows her way around
- Always has a backup plan

The logic behind this will become more apparent later! :)

Thanks to everyone for the input, especially @Ategy.com who was particularly engaged in figuring this out.

The main team involved from Epik on this project are @Taylor Ervin @Ala Dadan and @Miao.

•••
A very important question is who is the target end user market?

Is it just the small sub-set of people who are heavily into Alt-Tech? Or do you want to reach out to the much larger global audience where the majority of people don't know and don't care about terms such as decentralisation etc?

If it's the later (which I think ultimately should be if you want the most possible users), then that really disqualifies DeCrawl and Incogne, which I unfortunately would say aren't the best of brands to begin with,

While it's fun to have animal imagery, SearchCow will end up sharing namespace with internet heavyweight Tucows.

I really like Toki as a brand. Seems a bit of a shame it doesn't already have a home in the crypto space (Tokens) .. seems like the absolutely perfect name for a crypto mascot! Some could argue that it doesn't quite pass the radio test (Toky, Tokie, Tockie, Tokey, etc), but the brevity of 4 characters really offsets that a lot and it is quite memorable and phonetically strong

Without listing them all, the phonetics of many of the brandables just aren't very strong enough to ever get viral traction in a niche that's already very established with huge brands.

Jaroo is one of the exceptions to that and actually is nice and clear. I have several 5L brandables with double "oo" as I like the logo potential of using eyes or a smiley.

I really liked your requirement of having the brand sound like a verb .. I thought it was extremely smart and forward looking ... unfortunately almost all of the candidates fail that test.

One of the few that doesn't is Vesh .. although unfortunately the phonetics of that make it something to reconsider .. lol .. "Vesh it" > "Veshit" > "Veh-Sh*t"

That bring us to "Search It" .. a very strong choice IMO. Although one big factor to consider is that it will never be trademarkable in the context of a search engine. Meaning that you will never be able to stop Google or anyone else from advertising "Search-It on Google". However, owning the trademark isn't an absolute must depending on the context and your business objectives. Almost all "Keyword Domains" have that same issue, but that doesn't stop many from doing extremely well. Also, because it is overly generic and so exact on what you're doing, as a brand, you'd pretty much always need to use the full "SearchIt.com", making it a little longer than you were hoping for. Again though, the domain is so specific that the overall benefits could outshine the little issues against it.

Overall I'd say by far the 2 best choices (in no particular order) are SearchIt and Toki. I'm really sorry to everyone else, but the rest really don't come anywhere close. Forced to choose a 3rd would actually be Jaroo mainly because the other choices really aren't strong phonetically or for other important reasons. If your target audience is exclusively those deeply into Alt-Tech then I suppose DeCrawl could be something to consider, but to someone even middle ground in Alt-Tech awareness, the "De" is a negative and at first I really didn't even get the significance of the name until I saw someone talk about it above.

Last edited:
•••
I would restart the list, if you are seriously taking on google and similar.

One of the requirements for a search brand is how it works as a verb. You can easily say "I googled it" "I binged it".

Would be hard to say "I searchited it" or "tokied it".

•••
Happy for you and also for me (for voting Toki). Toki in Japanese is 時 (time) which is a precious commodity.

•••
We are making progress on Toki.com.

The first version of the cloud software is being built in an Angular and React JS framework that should be really elegant and fast. Previews to follow.

We are also making progress on the Toki network which will use a federated mesh of low cost content delivery network servers powered by BitMitigate. These are so-called "Toki Servers". Stay tuned.

There will be a native crypto called .... a "Toki". This is a Toki currency symbol and the working logo.

upload_2019-10-10_11-33-10.png

It started from this set:

https://projects.invisionapp.com/share/3SUBB32VZQP#/screens/387997016_Toki

And distilled to these:

https://projects.invisionapp.com/share/3SUBB32VZQP#/screens/388135479_Toki-2

Some fast work from @Ala Dadan.

•••
liked searchit, asksite & toki

•••
I see searchit listed withn a min offer of $32.5K, hopefully the buyer, and seller can agree on a price.

•••
We have another late entrant:

SURFA.COM

Anyone like that as an Anonymous Smart Search Engine name candidate?

•••
Uni crawl kind of conflicts with uni aka Uniregistry and all their services, and platform?
That was my first thought on that one as well. While in theory I don't think the final search product will be related to Epik in any significant way, why choose a name that adds to the overall "Uni" brandscape? If it was a decisively better name than all the others then maybe. Or if the "Uni" portion of the brand gave a significant on-target image to the targeted brand vision, but that isn't the case even if Uni is otherwise a good prefix and the combined Uni+Crawl has great word-flow.

I went with Incogne.com
The problem with Incogne is that it's too awkward to say (it's the -gne at the end). It doesn't flow off the tongue easily at all. Also while it doesn't necessarily completely fail the radio test, the fact it's awkward to say will mean that there will be a portion of people who just won't bother to try simply because they assume they'll get it wrong.

We have another late entrant: SURFA.COM
It's not bad at all. Not as phonetically strong as Toki, but still decent. A little more contextual to some maybe, but I personally really don't see any significant relation between "searching" and "surfing" in terms of branding imagery. In fact .. I always thought of Internet "surfing" as just randomly jumping around from site to site, so in fact, the exact opposite of targeted searching. That being said, while I don't give the name any extra points because it contains "surf", I don't really take anything away as I think most will see it more of a random brand .. and when looked at in terms of a random brand, while not spectacular, it's still far better than most of the other choices, so a name I would potentially include in a follow up round if there is one.
Anyone like that as an Anonymous Smart Search Engine name candidate?
Have you looked into ASSE.com .. with a silent E? lol ;)

NeoCrawl.com
Neo means new,fresh,recent,latest .
Unfortunately Neo is also too strongly associated with the term NeoNazi.

@Rob Monster suggested to post this name and get feedback from this thread. You can provide us your inputs.
Searchator .com
Not a bad name at all .. certainly better than many of the ones listed. Not top notch phonetically, but still not too bad on that front .. however the -ator and ater alternate spelling suffixes is actually the biggest thing against it. Although admittedly that never stopped "Gator" domains from becoming extremely popular. ;)

What about Lookue?
Very short, descriptive and memorable, so brandable.
(Only 1 syllable and suitable as a verb; Lookue it!)
Lookue('s pronunciation) = Look;
like Google = Googl [-ue / -e is not pronounced]
This is definitely a 2 syllable domain with too many alternate spellings (radio test failure).

Otherwise, if your argument is that the "ue" portion is silent, then the name is even less appropriate as silent letters on a made up word unfortunately results in a 0% grade on the radio test.

Lookue('s oo) is ideal for the logo;
as eye(s) / glasses / spectacles.
I will agree with you on that .. I like double O's in brandables .. unfortunately in this case it's the "ue" end of the domain that really hurts this candidate.

I really like SearchCow. Out of all of them it was the only one which invoked a strong image in my mind. Very easy to remember.
Don’t cows move slow, and mosey around, that is the image I get? A leisurely search engine.
What's fast about "Cow" is that it only takes 3 characters to spell it .. lol. I also don't think the imagery of a cow is too negative .. they are slow animals, but nobody hates them and they can make for a fun image .. unfortunately I think the drawback here is that it might be seen as one of Tucows many projects. Which despite "SearchCow" actually being a decent name, for the same reasoning as UniSearch, for me it kinda takes it out of the running if it's to be in Epik's overall portfolio.

Koadle. Would of been great name
Radio test failure unfortunately.

Nice analysis @Ategy.com
Good points to think about.. I also sent Querch.com (Query+Search) as one of names... I thought it sounds well to say ''Querch it..."
Other names.. Incogne ...
I really like the sound of Querch. But there are too many potential alternate spellings. Namely the most obvious Quearch/Kearch (if the implication is that it's to be partially derived from "search"), but then also Kerch, Kursh, Curch.

If passing the radio test is important - and I don't think any domain 100% passes this test - toki could easily be confused with toky, tokey, tokie, tokee, and any similar name that has a Q in place of the K.
As I previously mentioned, I definitely agree on this point. However the fact it's only 4 letters and so phonetically strong does offset that considerably.

Show attachment 127100
I'm disappointed my entry Chainds.com didn't make the list, as I think it's a fantastic brandable, short (7L) memorable and pronouncable. Short for Chain (D)omain (S)earch, Chainds.com I think would have gotten some "love" or like here at NamePros! In the meantime, I voted for SearchIT, a great name for this project!
When it comes to brandables containing acronyms, it's imperative that the acronym portion be 100% obvious to virtually the entirety of the target market. So there's definitely an issue there. Also the "chain" part is a technical term that pretty much everyone not into crypto will not see the context here.

For long term branding, I would only consider a pronounceable 4 Letter .com preferably a one syllable, for that reason I choose: ZUWK
That's one of the problems I see with DuckDuckGo, is their name, it's too long and you would never hear someone say, just "DuckDuck It" when they want to search something.
I agree that single syllable domains should be given significant bonus points for such a project .. particularly given the potential budget making it an actual possibility. I think the issue with Zuwk is that most would spell it Zewk, or even Zuke. Yoxt is a single syllable 4L as well and actually passes the radio test .. maybe it's the phonetics of "oxt" that gave people a hard time, otherwise I can't think of a reason why it only has 2% of voters supporting it. While Toki is 2 syllables, they flow extremely well together and result in a very strong sounding still very short brand. Although IMO .. "Toki it" = Fail, "Yoxt it" = Fail and "Zuwk it" = Pass .. but not sure how much strength Rob is giving to the "verbability" requirement .. doesn't appear to be a requirement given the list of candidates. I actually submitted a short fun fast and techie sounding 5-letter single-syllable domain that does pass the "verbability test", but was a little late with emailing it to @Rob Monster.

2nd choice would be outside of a 4 letter and be SearchIt and then 3rd would be Searchful, but both of those are fairly long, although self explanatory
With Searchful, even if it's only 2 syllables it just seems a little too long and flowery/fanciful as opposed to something fast/techie (for lack of a more scientific reasoning .. lol). More importantly, it's one of the few domains that compares very well to SearchIt, where SearchIt is obviously a much stronger candidate.

i did not vote. i went through all 17 several times ,sounding them out and i did not like any of them.
I agree with you on the majority of them. But the two most popular choices (Toki and SearchIt), while having a couple other relatively minor potential issues, are very strong phonetically.

In the end, of all the domains considered so far, I still think SearchIt and Toki are the 2 strongest choices. But both have very different pros/cons (mostly pros for both) of their own .. not an obvious choice between the two. The only other names I'd have considered are Jaroo, Yoxt and possibly Surfa.

Last edited:
•••
I am going to keep my comments short in order to avoid injecting "interviewer bias" into the process.

Process-wise, we are planning to send the final 4 to the end-user poll this week and hopefully have a winner.

How about this for the next poll (assuming you have a need for one and it can be mechanically achieved as described below).

Let every member in good standing enter one or two names in an individual post(s). Within that post allow the person to state why they think that name would be a good fit for the search...without unnecessary logo or 'branding' graphics...just good old fashioned words.

Restrict (not sure if it could be done) comments criticizing names. This eliminates the sour grapes that may exist between two members from days past to unnecessary clutter the thread and create a general air of negativity.

I find it interesting and somewhat of a learning process to see why someone LIKES a name...the reason behind them registering it in the first place could get creative juices going in others. To read why someone DISLIKES a name brings to mind that old saying about opinions and sphincters.

•••
i like to throw in:

insy . com

in (incognito, inside, in, etc) sy (system, sync, etc)

•••
•••
Happy for you and also for me (for voting Toki). Toki in Japanese is 時 (time) which is a precious commodity.

That is just awesome.

The whole thesis of Toki is to be a productivity tool -- to get you the solution to your problem in a way that is personally relevant without betraying your trust or privacy.

•••
I like SearchIt and voted for the same.

Browjet.com is available (short for Browse at jet speed) may be brandable for search engine

Also AskJumbo.com which is available

Thanks,
Sumeeth

Last edited:
•••
Lookue('s oo) is ideal for the logo;
as eye(s) / glasses / spectacles.

•••
Toki or SearchIt. It depends if you want more of a made up brand or a keyword based brand.

Brad

•••
I really like SearchCow

Out of all of them it was the only one which invoked a strong image in my mind. Very easy to remember.
Don’t cows move slow, and mosey around, that is the image I get? A leisurely search engine.

•••
•••
Not wanting to be classified as a negative nelly, I will not list why I don't like a particular name (unnecessary to cast aspersions on another persons selection/name). I will simply say, of the names offered, SearchIt is the best.

•••
I went with DeCrawl.

Decentralization is here to stay. DeCrawl has a great blockchain emphasis.

•••
SURFA = Surf A = Surf Anonymously .. Works well with the product theme :)
Can be tagline.

•••
Just thinking, Toki would make an excellent brand for cannabis industry (toke) May want to reserve the name for that space.

•••
I am going to keep my comments short in order to avoid injecting "interviewer bias" into the process.
I highly recommend you actually don't do that ... the more you give feedback the more people have have a clearer picture of what you do and don't want .. you'll get significantly better and more targeted results if you add your thoughts and comments.

The domain SearchIt.com does have a price. That specific name has some historical baggage as Google Fail-list related to malware distribution but it is still a contender. Process-wise, we are planning to send the final 4 to the end-user poll this week and hopefully have a winner.
It's for technical reasons like this where I'd think your best bet would be to have your team also participate in the selection process .. because at some point depending on the domains and the voters, you're going to end up with a name with more votes that is not the optimal choice .. and possibly not even a good choice.

For example .. if your budget would have been $5k on this contest, the clear winner here would have been one with a negative "De" context to non-technical end-users .. Decrawl! Did you notice how it went from 2nd place to a distant 3rd after I had you clarify who the end user target audience is?

I still don't get how Siet is pronounced like Diet. In what language?
I think what @Recons.Com means is that while the S and D are different, the "iet" is Siet is pronounced the same way as the "iet" is Diet.

Last edited:
•••
I feel it would be useful to note that Google was not a verb when it was launched. The sentiment of looking for a verb for a search engine is reasonable, but I feel becoming a verb is a decision made by your marketplace.
Google wasn't used as a verb when it launched .. but made up word "Google" was verbable when they launched .. meaning that from day one there was the phonetic and linguistic structure for it potentially to be used as a word. (Not sure if that was deliberate or not ... likely not and just random luck .. but it definitely helped at least a small bit)

It is really a great name. But the pronunciation is like Diet?
Again .. no .. pretty sure what he means is just that the "iet" portion of Siet is pronounced like the "iet" portion of Diet. Effectively Diet is pronounced die-it .. and Siet is pronounced sigh-it (Where the green portions are phonetically identical)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back