IT.COM

discuss Brand name testing for Anonymous Smart Search aggregator

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which names do you prefer for an Anonymous Smart Search engine?

• 1st

SearchIt.com

votes
    40.8%
  • 2nd

Toki.com

votes
    25.9%
  • 3rd

Decrawl.com

votes
    18.4%
  • 4th

Searchful.com

votes
    5.4%
  • 5th (tie)

Incogne.com

votes
    4.8%
  • 5th (tie)

Vesh.com

votes
    4.8%
  • 5th (tie)

Unicrawl.com

votes
    4.8%
  • 6th

AskSite.com

votes
    4.1%
  • 7th

Brung.com

votes
    3.4%
  • 8th (tie)

Searchcow.com

votes
    2.7%
  • 8th (tie)

NetNut.com

votes
    2.7%
  • 9th (tie)

Updig.com

votes
    2.0%
  • 9th (tie)

Jaroo.com

votes
    2.0%
  • 9th (tie)

Yoxt.com

votes
    2.0%
  • 9th (tie)

Lookue.com

votes
    2.0%
  • 10th

Qhain.com

votes
    1.4%
  • 11th

Zuwk.com

vote
    0.7%

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
Epik has been developing a series of new platforms including Anonymize.com, Armored.net, Us.Tv, Watchmask.com, and more on the way.

Recently, Epik has been developing an Anonymous Smart Search aggregator. This new brand is intended to power an alternative to Google.com, Bing.com and DuckDuckGo as a domainer-friendly and censorship-light search engine. You can see a preview here. We have also been inviting name suggestions here.

This is a poll of a reduced set of submitted candidates to screen for the top-4 to be poll-tested outside of NamePros to select the finalist.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
SearchIt stands out to me, the rest are OK.

•••
I picked Toki. Like the sound of it, and it is short.

•••
I voted Toki. Easy to remember, easy to spell, easy to brand.

The others such as AskSite.com are way too generic, forgettable and boring.

Last edited:
•••
A lot of Great Submissions , Good Luck to the Entries and Holders !!

•••
SearchIt, Toki or Decrawl for me
SearchIt is the best one for a web search.
Toki is good too but it's very near to Token, so it's a bit too much "crypto" and not enough "search"

•••
Show attachment 127056 Show attachment 127057 Show attachment 127055 Show attachment 127054

Yes, Exactly! It invokes a nice relaxing image. Very innocuous, friendly even.
Maybe cowcowgo

Some interesting choices, but we all know who owns the search engine market,
Obviously the money here is going to be on the anonymous etc... features within the search, the name should identify that aspect of it.

So many search engines have come, and gone, it’s really hard to gain traction in the space. You have to bring something that others can’t offer, or do something better.

Last edited:
•••
Can we get back to telling people "How about you Search It" instead of "How about you Google It" :xf.smile:

I like searchit

Imo

•••
Searchit and BRUNG .. Both options look quite attractive!

•••
Searchit is kind of old style name, i like lookue better

•••
Rob, it's a nice and short brandable name, what is your plan for making it well known.

I wonder if the letters can be used as abbreviation of any related words.

The strategy goes something like this:

- Identify a pain point: Censorship and Privacy both seem like themes. Also, the decentralized web will need to be searchable. By aggregating and de-deduplicating search results, folks can know they are getting the full story without being surveilled.

- Make and Keep a promise: The ultimate brand needs to be wrapped around a promise that is specific and enduring regardless of the technology. The above point is one that has an implied promise. We'll check if that promise stands on its own.

- Deliver a compelling Minimal Viable Product: We have an existing prototype already live. People are using it and giving feedback. We'll use a lot of existing technology to make it blazingly fast, secure, and scalable.

- Establish Product Superiority: These days Epik.com is a pretty good product. We invested continuously in innovation. We will be looking for an acquisition or strategic hire to accelerate product superiority.

- Identify a Growth Hack: I am not sure what that will be but the universe has a funny way of presenting them. We just need to pay attention when they show up.

That is all I know so far -- the recipe is a bit generic. Anyone with the requisite skills and a bit of determination can do it.

Regards,
Rob

•••
I see searchit listed withn a min offer of $32.5K, hopefully the buyer, and seller can agree on a price.
I'm curious as to who actually submitted SearchIt.com, as the domain itself is actually fully owned by GoDaddy (via their wholly owned subsidiary NameFind). Would be a shame if regular domainers in this contest were beaten out by a multi-billion dollar corporation who ironically they likely are all actually clients of .. but it is one of the top options at this point so far. That being said .. don't feel bad saying anything against the domain .. it certainly won't change GoDaddy's bottom line! lol

ADDED/Edit: Or maybe Namefind itself isn't owned by GoDaddy ("This site may be hacked")! lol
NameFind-GoogleError.png

Last edited:
•••
That was my first thought on that one as well. While in theory I don't think the final search product will be related to Epik in any significant way, why choose a name that adds to the overall "Uni" brandscape? If it was a decisively better name than all the others then maybe. Or if the "Uni" portion of the brand gave a significant on-target image to the targeted brand vision, but that isn't the case even if Uni is otherwise a good prefix and the combined Uni+Crawl has great word-flow.

The problem with Incogne is that it's too awkward to say (it's the -gne at the end). It doesn't flow off the tongue easily at all. Also while it doesn't necessarily completely fail the radio test, the fact it's awkward to say will mean that there will be a portion of people who just won't bother to try simply because they assume they'll get it wrong.

It's not bad at all. Not as phonetically strong as Toki, but still decent. A little more contextual to some maybe, but I personally really don't see any significant relation between "searching" and "surfing" in terms of branding imagery. In fact .. I always thought of Internet "surfing" as just randomly jumping around from site to site, so in fact, the exact opposite of targeted searching. That being said, while I don't give the name any extra points because it contains "surf", I don't really take anything away as I think most will see it more of a random brand .. and when looked at in terms of a random brand, while not spectacular, it's still far better than most of the other choices, so a name I would potentially include in a follow up round if there is one.

Have you looked into ASSE.com .. with a silent E? lol ;)

Unfortunately Neo is also too strongly associated with the term NeoNazi.

Not a bad name at all .. certainly better than many of the ones listed. Not top notch phonetically, but still not too bad on that front .. however the -ator and ater alternate spelling suffixes is actually the biggest thing against it. Although admittedly that never stopped "Gator" domains from becoming extremely popular. ;)

This is definitely a 2 syllable domain with too many alternate spellings (radio test failure).

Otherwise, if your argument is that the "ue" portion is silent, then the name is even less appropriate as silent letters on a made up word unfortunately results in a 0% grade on the radio test.

I will agree with you on that .. I like double O's in brandables .. unfortunately in this case it's the "ue" end of the domain that really hurts this candidate.

What's fast about "Cow" is that it only takes 3 characters to spell it .. lol. I also don't think the imagery of a cow is too negative .. they are slow animals, but nobody hates them and they can make for a fun image .. unfortunately I think the drawback here is that it might be seen as one of Tucows many projects. Which despite "SearchCow" actually being a decent name, for the same reasoning as UniSearch, for me it kinda takes it out of the running if it's to be in Epik's overall portfolio.

Radio test failure unfortunately.

I really like the sound of Querch. But there are too many potential alternate spellings. Namely the most obvious Quearch/Kearch (if the implication is that it's to be partially derived from "search"), but then also Kerch, Kursh, Curch.

As I previously mentioned, I definitely agree on this point. However the fact it's only 4 letters and so phonetically strong does offset that considerably.

When it comes to brandables containing acronyms, it's imperative that the acronym portion be 100% obvious to virtually the entirety of the target market. So there's definitely an issue there. Also the "chain" part is a technical term that pretty much everyone not into crypto will not see the context here.

I agree that single syllable domains should be given significant bonus points for such a project .. particularly given the potential budget making it an actual possibility. I think the issue with Zuwk is that most would spell it Zewk, or even Zuke. Yoxt is a single syllable 4L as well and actually passes the radio test .. maybe it's the phonetics of "oxt" that gave people a hard time, otherwise I can't think of a reason why it only has 2% of voters supporting it. While Toki is 2 syllables, they flow extremely well together and result in a very strong sounding still very short brand. Although IMO .. "Toki it" = Fail, "Yoxt it" = Fail and "Zuwk it" = Pass .. but not sure how much strength Rob is giving to the "verbability" requirement .. doesn't appear to be a requirement given the list of candidates. I actually submitted a short fun fast and techie sounding 5-letter single-syllable domain that does pass the "verbability test", but was a little late with emailing it to @Rob Monster.

With Searchful, even if it's only 2 syllables it just seems a little too long and flowery/fanciful as opposed to something fast/techie (for lack of a more scientific reasoning .. lol). More importantly, it's one of the few domains that compares very well to SearchIt, where SearchIt is obviously a much stronger candidate.

I agree with you on the majority of them. But the two most popular choices (Toki and SearchIt), while having a couple other relatively minor potential issues, are very strong phonetically.

In the end, of all the domains considered so far, I still think SearchIt and Toki are the 2 strongest choices. But both have very different pros/cons (mostly pros for both) of their own .. not an obvious choice between the two. The only other names I'd have considered are Jaroo, Yoxt and possibly Surfa.

Is @Ategy.com good at this or what?

Little did I know when we bought his FullVenue.com that we would be getting a Naming Strategy wingman!

I am going to keep my comments short in order to avoid injecting "interviewer bias" into the process.

The domain SearchIt.com does have a price. That specific name has some historical baggage as Google Fail-list related to malware distribution but it is still a contender.

Process-wise, we are planning to send the final 4 to the end-user poll this week and hopefully have a winner.

•••
Wonderful set of insights by @Ategy.com . Good branding lessons for everyone.

A couple of more things for Epik to consider.

1) Usage of the overall EPIK brand. Are the individual products WatchMask, FullVenue, SearchEngine going to operate as separate entities without any link to Brand Epik ? OR They will relate to brand Epik in someway.
Example " Consider Microsoft : It has Microsoft Explorer, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Surface, etc. Note the second word in case of associated branding is close to a real word and functionally describes the product. In such case better to have a name describing "search" rather than made-up brandables. But if its a separate entity you can also consider new made-up words for unique branding.

2) What key feature would you want the name to highlight ? Is it Anonymous Private Search ? Is it search aggregator ? Is it the detailed search results from blockchain domains ? OR Do you want to keep a safe branding that says its just search ?

3) Trademark
With strict Intellectual property laws, it is better to get registered trademark for the name. One important step for that is to avoid names with existing products and operating domains. A trademark legal expert can guide more in the direction.

All the Best with the ventures

Regards
Leopard

•••
CrawlAt.jpg

New Contender? ;)

Did you Crawl at it?
Just Crawl at it!

Last edited:
•••
•••
Is @Ategy.com good at this or what?

Little did I know when we bought his FullVenue.com that we would be getting a Naming Strategy wingman!

I am going to keep my comments short in order to avoid injecting "interviewer bias" into the process.

The domain SearchIt.com does have a price. That specific name has some historical baggage as Google Fail-list related to malware distribution but it is still a contender.

Process-wise, we are planning to send the final 4 to the end-user poll this week and hopefully have a winner.

Would that put you in a disadvantageous place to use a domain like domain /it /com when there is a website domain /com running as the same ?
You may consider to open a second poll by doing something like as @Mister Funsky said above. I don't see any strong candidates in the current poll.

•••
I feel it would be useful to note that Google was not a verb when it was launched. The sentiment of looking for a verb for a search engine is reasonable, but I feel becoming a verb is a decision made by your marketplace.

I don't iPhone a friend and I don't GoDaddy a domain. Both contain verbs.

I personally like using keywords in my brand names in order to attract search traffic, but if you are the search engine then surely keywords become moot. The reason Searchit.com has never sold is because it isn't a strong brand.

I see a sale for iSearch at $300K. They seem to have rebranded.

Toki is the best here but I think it will test as a 'cute' name which might not be the imagery you want.

•••
https://gab.com/mwill/posts/102695268799885728
Hi Rob,

Out of your poll, SearchIt is very appealing and interestingly enough many people already say "Search it" like they say "Google it" or "I'll just google it." It is generic but everyone knows instantly what it is without having to explain it.

I hope your product is more than just a upgraded version of Searx. The internet desperately needs an alternative to Google and Bing. Duck is isn't bad but there things lacking from it. Ideally there would be 3 or more large search engines in addition to Google and Bing and one company wouldn't have 95% of the search market. One company should never have 75%+ control of any industry but unfortunately we are there today with search.

I've been researching on building a search product for about 6 months now. It's a pretty complicated puzzle but if you throw a few smart people at it and logically design your backend you can make a not bad product pretty quickly while making adjustments over time to make something even better. Traditionally one of the biggest hurdles was hard drive speed but with SSDs dropping at a great pace it is making that part of the puzzle a little bit easier. Another hurdle is crawling and many companies like Quora and Yelp blocking all crawlers except for the big boys. That part will involve pleading, hoping, and/or licensing.

The internet is littered with so many search engines that have come, seem promising, and then die out. Even with that though it still feels like something that can be achieved. For myself the search project is part time here and there while I finish up my more pressing projects.

Thanks @namey.

As with Epik.com, we have to start somewhere. We put a stake in the ground and start listening, improving, developing, hiring, and acquiring. Theoretical search superiority versus Google will be hard to achieve, however, what is not hard to achieve is overall product superiority because people recognize the tradeoff of loss of privacy and of censorship with the current solutions.

We did stage a very basic V1 building on open source, and people are using it and liking it. That is what gave me confidence to kick off a skunkworks project to develop a privacy-first search engine that does not censor by default. You can see some early feedback even from today here:

upload_2019-8-28_15-2-17.png

We were not really ready to launch this product but someone asked the question about alternatives to DuckDuckGo because people were realizing that DDG was just a Bing API and that DDG had bought Duck.com from Google. It all sounded too Silicon Valley and for those of us who are trying wean off of that, this presented a challenge.

We are absolutely looking for smart folks who want to add value to the plan so if that is you just PM me with what you can bring to the table and we'll see where there is common ground. One thing is sure and that is that I am not writing any of this code. I am empowering technologists with time, talent and treasure to do cool things! If the market finds it useful, and resources permit, we'll keep making it better.

•••
Wonderful set of insights by @Ategy.com . Good branding lessons for everyone.

A couple of more things for Epik to consider.

1) Usage of the overall EPIK brand. Are the individual products WatchMask, FullVenue, SearchEngine going to operate as separate entities without any link to Brand Epik ? OR They will relate to brand Epik in someway.
Example " Consider Microsoft : It has Microsoft Explorer, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Surface, etc. Note the second word in case of associated branding is close to a real word and functionally describes the product. In such case better to have a name describing "search" rather than made-up brandables. But if its a separate entity you can also consider new made-up words for unique branding.

2) What key feature would you want the name to highlight ? Is it Anonymous Private Search ? Is it search aggregator ? Is it the detailed search results from blockchain domains ? OR Do you want to keep a safe branding that says its just search ?

3) Trademark
With strict Intellectual property laws, it is better to get registered trademark for the name. One important step for that is to avoid names with existing products and operating domains. A trademark legal expert can guide more in the direction.

All the Best with the ventures

Regards
Leopard

On (1), I commented on that topic here:

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6571047520657563648/

It was prompted by a @Kassey Lee.

On (2), the theme is really centered around knowledge empowerment. If you give people the opportunity to search without fear of surveillance, and with the option of getting all the answers, you empower them to find truth. The higher order benefit of this project is knowledge, wisdom and truth.

On (3), I agree there.

•••
Our version of Toki is going to be a little more sophisticated. Toki is:

- Smart
- Fiercely loyal
- Fearless truthseeker
- Good with money
- Always on time
- Discreet, i.e. can keep a secret
-Social and friendly
- Has a great memory
- Knows her way around
- Always has a backup plan

This sounds a lot like someone we all know at Epik. :xf.wink:

If you want to go with an animated avatar, then Toki makes good sense.

Last edited:
•••
Good investment domain also, always have solid liquid value.

•••
•••
That is just awesome.

The whole thesis of Toki is to be a productivity tool -- to get you the solution to your problem in a way that is personally relevant without betraying your trust or privacy.

I am sure it means many things in many languages.

E.g., in Russian, it means "currents"

•••
One of my favourite projects now :)

•••
Toki is a nice name, short and pronounceable. I wish Rob and Epik much success with it.

To me the biggest negative is that it doesn't pass the radio test in the US. If somebody asked me to spell the word I'd spell it "tokey" and probably even "toky" before I'd spell it "toki". All in all, there's probably 15 to 20 ways to spell it.

Okey-dokey, it's time to do the hokey-pokey. Cya later.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back