IT.COM

Brainstorming for some DN Software

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joshh71390

Top Member
Impact
Hello, over the past 10+ years Ive learned so much about domaining and have seen many trends... but one thing remains true and always will... Good Names can and should sell -> given the right circumstances. Everyone has their own methods for success and defines that word differently... but all in all Its always been fairly easy for me to pick domaining up and start selling...

What this tells me..

Names sell themselves -> what do i mean here? If you do the right thing consistantly -> then its not hard to be successful in this industry... Think of other industries... when they get saturated... and new niches form etc... theres usually a barrier of re-entry aka learning the new norms etc... I dont think this translates to domains ... Because while scarcity / competition is up... the core practices remain constant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Software excells in these scenarios... because there is a formula to a good name... and there is a sense of urgency when it comes to pulling the trigger and monitoring different things consistantly throughout the day and you need to be able to react at any given time in response to a scenario...

If anyone wishes that there was a tool that could do xyz for them ... doesnt matter how big or small -> please feel free to send me a pm About this -> or post -> pm would probably be best as can have a direct conversation with you about it... and because Ill get a desktop notification about it.

If anyone wanted to throw their hat in the ring and help work on this project it will be based in nodejs land express backend -> vue frontend / and then probably another express server for the backend to the backend =) just incase you were wondering about technologies

I am not trying to steal anyones ideas here and i am not trying to get into any arguments about weather or not its a good idea... I have a full understanding in the undertaking such a service would be to create so the fact that I am willing to be the one to develop such project should give you an idea that i am confident the validity of such an undertaking..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The next dan.com. registrar included.

•••
hehe -> im not exactly 100% familiar with dan to begin with... but def wont be becoming a registrar. -> i know it was just a joke but esentially im looking to automate workflows -> and package it up in a nice bow.... something thats maybe not 100% new -> but the way it's implimented offers a huge benefit to productivity...

for instance imagine you register a domain... and it's already added to your inventory -> the balances are automatically updated in your bookkeeping section... you can list items from your dashboard... you can maybe put up parking landers... you can enable auto outbound marketing on your domains... when your names are registered they automatically compile all relevent data that that domain might have -> and that you chose to show in that list... -> Accept offers right from your dashboard from lander offers -> track stats you normally wouldnt / time holding vs cost -> of each name... other machine learning stats that can be pulled from larger datasets once the data is large enough -> auto watchlist for available name patterns you specify -> stuff like this where -> the product is a portfolio of other products , that can be added to over time and improved as more ideas come in... but the overall benefit is the different components in the system

Last edited:
•••
Sounds ambitious, in a good way :). I would start off with a solid backend to manage portfolios. Do it well and you can integrate a lot of stuff you usually have to do manually at a registrar level.

Then build on that. Yes, automation would be the USP. That's where the profit is.

Huge undertaking :). Would need a solid business plan. Initial dev cost is quite high to get to a beta running that's better than what's out there. My biggest concern has always been the security side of it as you centralise all access to your assets.

Also, keep in mind what the average client (domainer) would be willing to spend. Then ask yourself if it's worth the time and effort:)

•••
Sounds ambitious, in a good way :). I would start off with a solid backend to manage portfolios. Do it well and you can integrate a lot of stuff you usually have to do manually at a registrar level.

Then build on that. Yes, automation would be the USP. That's where the profit is.

Huge undertaking :). Would need a solid business plan. Initial dev cost is quite high to get to a beta running that's better than what's out there. My biggest concern has always been the security side of it as you centralise all access to your assets.

Also, keep in mind what the average client (domainer) would be willing to spend. Then ask yourself if it's worth the time and effort:)
Hello, I have shifted a little bit.. -> however -> I still am working on this. Dev costs would be (sweat) as I build backend driven nodejs apps already this would be my first MAJOR project, but I have 6 things going and Im getting stronger daily...

anyhow I have kind of pivoted a little bit, but I will still be working on something largescale, That might be a little bit more favorable as an the Initial Platform...

Again im still working on it but it's Just not exactly the forefront

Last edited:
•••
From what you have said, an app that recognises patterns would be cool. Different domains have different uses, and if there was a tool that would help to do the different type of searches, that would be great.

I would suggest that you work to be good at just one thing. The one thing that would make it different from what is already available. A lot of registras now have several features in their offerings. Get to know what they all offer and only offer the important, different thing. No one wants a crazy complicated dashboard, just as much as we dont want crazy complicated spreadsheets.
Perhaps do plenty of research surveys and ask everyone what they want and what they would use and what they would pay to use.

For me, i would like a better management system than an excel spreadsheet for recording information or auto producing it. I like to know things such as where I bought it, current registra, age, current NS, where im currently advertising it / parking, estimates of prices from different places, estimates of traffic, backlinks, whether it has history on archives,org and notes to go with all these things eg were the backlinks crap, has it ever had good content on it.
What i would PAY for (as long as it was a very low cost), would be a management system that would auto populate a lot of the stuff for me, with room for notes - So basically all the info that expired domains.net has and maybe SEM rush and estibot and then some, auto populated in a nice app. If I could save money by not paying for semrush, or estibot or any other common tools, then I would use it.

Hope thats helpful and please feel free to steal or ignore any part of this post!

•••
Yea thats why im shifting a little bit . my idea is that I can build a very strong base up with something a little bit more centralized. and then if that sees any interest I can start offering the other stuff as updates down the road.

the One key thing is I tend to try to build stuff that I already know.. So I dont have to fumble with What the thing is actually doing... I can worry on stuff like data types and making sure all the t's are crossed froma code standpoint...

I have already passed through other aspects of my life ... I used to be a day trader of crypto nothing insaine but I had a bunch of little flows that togeather made it all happen... Now I have programed them all to run by themself in like a little makeshift marketmaker system where they all work in conjunction..

The beauty is i went from 10 hours a day trading ... to 0 hours a day trading... and now i NEVER miss those oportunities... before I only was able to make the oportunities my eyes and fingeres could react to.. the bots can all trade over 20 times ever 20 seconds.. and theyre all arbitrage type setups so it's just wait and react when the oportunity arises...

with domaining its the same thing.. your spending so much time doing stuff that is important... but can EASILY be Presented to you logic already ran data formated the way YOU want it...

if you have 12 hours a week you can invest in domaining... it's better to be able to put those hours into the parts that require your actual brain power... not copying pasting... calculating days left vs cost ... or whatever else peope use as metrics... things dont need to be updated with each sale... stuff can be done automatically. and I think i have ran into as many brick walls and know what needs improvement and what is just a pointless metric.

but again its whateverone else wants so well just let this baby collect some useful insight as im tinkering in the lab

•••
I watched a very interesting documentary about bots trading. It could be interesting to do the same thing with domain names

•••
I watched a very interesting documentary about bots trading. It could be interesting to do the same thing with domain names
Well that was actually my first thought how can i translate one to the other... Domains have a much more nontangible quality to them... Where as btc is priced by the market i only react to the price thats in front of me... Domains on the other hand... you would only really be able to handle the Purchasing side of it where it parases the daily droped names, it watches all auctions via websocket to try to snipe names that are undervalued at end of auction...

however one aspect that I think is going to be a major problem is that it would probably get caught up by alot of the same pitfalls that those who struggle with the english language...

There are alot of word / phrase api's out there... But ive just been at a loss for comming up with how i would avoid stuff that the words are right, but the order is wrong , or it just misses that it factor By enought to make it worthless.

----------------

the best Case scenario i think is something that presents you with the oportunity thats currently on the market and you can personally give it that final check ... Dont think of it like something that could replace the human aspect. but rather a tool that could provide you with options you otherwise wouldnt of seen... Maybe it selects all domains under 12 letters that have had atleast 2 recorded sales for atleast xxx more then the price currently is... the different combinations of criteria are endless it's just a matter of fine tuning each field to your persoanl goals

But how would you avoid names that have had fake sales reported... And how do you avoid stuff like viral trends that sizzle into nothingness in a few months? the only way i can think of would be to use Number 1 as a final link in the chain.

Last edited:
•••
I am a developer. I am already working on the same project that you shared here.

Would you like to collaborate? Please PM me

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back