Domain Empire
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
BMW has given the .TV extension another big boost in the right direction with a new launch and continuous advertising of BMW.tv on TV and various websites.

Great news! :wave:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Awesome News.

More MONSTER sized exposure of Dot TV to the World.

Seems there is a HUGE shot in the arm for the Dot TV extension almost daily now!

Keep it coming...:)

•••
This was reported years ago. Search for bmw.tv here.

•••
I think the new great Dot TV specific News is this...

However now the site which is chocked full of videos of its cars and is being featured in as the go to URL in television commercials plus viral videos submitted by enthusiasts

and I believe Michael Berkens end point is this...

as for the 3 BMW related sites...(2.com's, and the 1 .tv) It appears that the Dot TV site is more visually appealing which is a great endorsement for which tld the Big Dogs can and are using for video-centric media. IMO.

•••
•••
This was reported years ago.

It's true that BMW has been the owner of BMW.TV for years, but they've never really put it to use until NOW and they certainly haven't given it the same level of exposure as they have recently.

That's the difference you fail to realize!

•••
•••
•••
and vw.tv if they could get their dns issues fixed LOL.

sure need to get something going with auto(s).tv already :7

RL

•••
really guys, its going to take a lot more than bmw to entrench .tv in the public mind. i dare say that if just half the energy spent arguing here were spent on developing useful sites we might actually see the results we all seek.

•••
really guys, its going to take a lot more than bmw to entrench .tv in the public mind.

I think the public generally has heard of it, though it is not entrenched of course. The overall ".tv spotting" is a bit sad though, it is more an indication of the weakness of the extension than anything that people start a thread about just about any usage/tv ad etc.

i dare say that if just half the energy spent arguing here were spent on developing useful sites we might actually see the results we all seek.

Domainers developing sites is not going to change anything for the extension in my view.

•••
I think the public generally has heard of it, though it is not entrenched of course. The overall ".tv spotting" is a bit sad though, it is more an indication of the weakness of the extension than anything that people start a thread about just about any usage/tv ad etc.

The idea of spotted was likely originated for two reasons - it gives you an idea of how the extension might be used which may inspire a choice of investment, a choice of direction, and if it's a good site it gives you a reference site on sales proposals.

I believe it's less about the future promise of extension and more about feeling part of a community.

Isn't that partly what forums are all about?

That's a VERY RHETORICAL question.

•••
The idea of spotted was likely originated for two reasons - it gives you an idea of how the extension might be used which may inspire a choice of investment, a choice of direction, and if it's a good site it gives you a reference site on sales proposals.

I believe it's less about the future promise of extension and more about feeling part of a community.

Isn't that partly what forums are all about?

That's a VERY RHETORICAL question.

Personally I think it is done to try and prove that something is popular when most would consider it not to be so.

For examples you'd never see such a thread for .com or popular country codes. It is always for .tv, .mobi, .co, .us etc.

•••
•••
Maybe .com investors are anti-social ?

When an extension is widely used like .com and popular country codes (.de, .co.uk) etc, there is just no need to try and make any argument about it. If someone choose to think those extensions aren't popular who cares...those people are wrong and everyone else knows it.....even the guy on the street walking his dog.

Popularity of an extension is an obvious thing in my view. Once people start justifying extensions, starting threads, supporting it like a football team, spotting sites that is a big warning sign. It is a bit like how some people register a name and then start an appraisal thread explaining what the name is about, a sure sign that the name is probably worthless because if it were good it wouldn't need any explanation or justification.

•••
if you sell a typo will you then like the extension ? :sold:

:santa::hehe::gn::wave::lol:

have a great day !

•••
if you sell a typo will you then like the extension ? :sold:

:santa::hehe::gn::wave::lol:

have a great day !

If I saw a lot of sales and profits being made I would like the extension.

•••
...it is more an indication of the weakness of the extension than anything that people start a thread about just about any usage/tv ad etc.

It's more about spreading awareness. I've told you that several times before but you just don't seem to get it. I don't understand why you always bring up your .com examples, which are false by the way. Search for candy.com here on NP and you'll find people talking about the development after it sold for $3mill. In your world that probably means .com is a weak extension.

I suggest you keep your arithmetic domain (if it's yours) and develop it (if you know how to develop a website). That way you'll hopefully learn the math skills required to figure out the relationship between awareness and popularity of a brand. I suggest looking up exponential functions to begin with.

Once you get a grip on that you may be able to understand why .TV ad/commercials available to over 100 million people LIVE, will make a difference to BMW, and why more people will be more aware of the .TV extension in general.

The weakness is not in .TV! The real weakness is your own perception of reality and the fact that you fail to see where media distribution and content development is heading.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

... who's next ? :)

You may want to look at Adidas.TV! They've moved a lot of their media/product videos to .TV land :)

•••
Personally I think it is done to try and prove that something is popular when most would consider it not to be so.

For examples you'd never see such a thread for .com or popular country codes. It is always for .tv, .mobi, .co, .us etc.

Hmmmm...there is a unique phenomenon in the business world called marketing, which is, in case you do not know, making a product or service visible and desirable for the consumer. There are other subjects involved in it such as positioning but that is best left for another time.

I remember you posting once upon a time that you are not familiar with books on the subject of marketing. Many people, here and elsewhere, however, are.

Networking and marketing are two ways to get your message across and it seems to work, as even the huge companies allot a considerable size of their budget towards it.

Point being whether you see it as a football cheering section or not, marketing works, and is doing well for the .tv extension.

If only you could turn your head 180 degrees toward the 21st century and away from the past, my dear Quixote, which is no longer available to us except as history.

•••
It's more about spreading awareness. I've told you that several times before but you just don't seem to get it. I don't understand why you always bring up your .com examples, which are false by the way. Search for candy.com here on NP and you'll find people talking about the development after it sold for $3mill. In your world that probably means .com is a weak extension.

People will always track high priced sales, regardless of extension, especially when sold by Rick Schwartz with a whole lot of press releases following it.

Once you get a grip on that you may be able to understand why .TV ad/commercials available to over 100 million people LIVE, will make a difference to BMW, and why more people will be more aware of the .TV extension in general.

The issue isn't the effect on BMW, the issue is the effect on the extension, personally I don't think it means anything much. It is a bit like cnn using cnn.mobi, or the who ha about me.tv, or all the talk about rt.tv (which just redirects to rt.com)......, beauty.cc, mta.info, o.co. The list goes on and on, a new or updated site doesn't change a thing.

BMW.tv isn't going to change anything just like all the other examples didn't change anything. They fade to back over time because it just isn't significant and often they don't last 12 months anyway.

The weakness is not in .TV! The real weakness is your own perception of reality and the fact that you fail to see where media distribution and content development is heading.

I think you are lashing out rather than debating.

You may want to look at Adidas.TV! They've moved a lot of their media/product videos to .TV land :)

You may also like to check out hitachi.us, no_url_shorteners and wretch.cc.

•••
My view is much broader and based in historical trends.

I look at dot tv as an incrementally developing branding phenomenon.

In the early days, we internet marketers would celebrate each new dot com purchase and national and even local advertising campaign, much as dot tv purchases, launches, and brand advertising campaigns are celebrated here.

The brand value of dot com's grew gradually, ever so incrementally, then with a quickening pace, then with an explosion of expediency. "Dot com", as weird as it sounded as a phrase, became widely recognized as an essential part of any modern business' marketing, branding, and sales strategy. People making their living online cheered this evidence that the net and web were here to stay and that more and more marketing dollars would migrate to the dot com space, and that good livings could be made on the Internet.

Dot tv does not sound weird. It sounds logical and often creates a vivid picture in the mind. This shows me that dot tv has a chance to become similarly ubiquitous and essential to corporate branding worldwide, trending on a similar trajectory to dot com's trajectory 12 years ago.

•••
Holden.TV is still available :)

•••
jwdomain - excellent perspective on growth to critical mass. '.com' was a new term innovated for the web - 'tv' is probably the most understood 2 letter term after 'ok' in the english vernacular - would I hope/expect to hit the tipping point quicker.

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

from the point at which internet and tv merge ( around about now anyone?)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back