IT.COM

domains Bird.com and Fish.com domain buyer failed to pay

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
The big buyer in February’s Right of the Dot domain name auction has failed to pay.

One person bid $4.85 million on three domains: $2.5 million for Bird.com, $1.6 million for Fish.com, and $750,000 for Tattoo.com. According to a lawsuit, the bidder never paid.

Right of the Dot and Bolten Properties (owner of the domains) have sued David Lizmi, who the Plaintiffs say is the deadbeat bidder. The lawsuit involves only Bird.com and Fish.com, the two domains that Bolten sold. Monte Cahn previously said that he sold Tattoo.com to another buyer.

read more (dnw)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Put a Tattoo of the Bird on his front head and the Fish on his dick and put him in jail.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Once he get out of jail marry him to 3 wives.

•••
what are the odds this was a shill gone wrong?

•••
•••
  • Ha ha ha, then I still have a chance

•••
Exactly. It should he persecuted; this is fraud, and not be limited to six figure deals auctions.

@DropCatch Support sue the nonepayers, instead of “ban” them. Same, @DAN.COM and @Joe Styler,@Paul Nicks Godaddy auctions. Enough is enough.

This will only happen when auction platforms take a set fee per auction if successful. There is too much for an auction house to gain by having a few wild emotional bidders.

•••
ROTD sold one of my domains in that auction. They put in a lot of work collecting and according to them the winner had something come up beyond their control and I do understand that but ROTD still needed to deal with a lot of extra work and was always in touch with me over several months. They really earned the commission on this one.

I wonder if this is the same guy that purchased LoveLetter.co

"Sedo had two of the three country code sales with the other - #13 LoveLetter.co at $15,000 - going to David Lizmi. "

https://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2019/20190626.htm

•••
•••
Must be gutting for the owner/s of the domains, I’m sure they was overjoyed the night of the auction and celebrated and for the buyer not to pay, must be horrible!

It’s not good publicity for ‘Right of the Dot’ either, I hope they can learn a lesson from this too, ie:- having better background checks of registered bidders to make sure they have funds before they bid on a multi-million dollar domain name.

Still to get to $ 2.5 million for a domain, says to me someone else must have bid $2.4 million, can the domain not be sold to them? I can understand that buyer backing out too (ie:- thinking bidding only went that high because of a shill bidder), but yeah even though the buyer backed out, there is some positivity for the owner of the domains as this was good publicity for those domains (search engines will forever say they sold for huge amounts), these are multi-million dollar domain assets, so I’m sure the owner will get what they are worth sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
•••
that whole thing seemed strange - that auction overall was pretty lame - Monte flopped on this one

•••
If someone is legitimately ready to pay over $1 million for a domain name at an auction like ROTD, I see no reason why a 10% deposit to make such high bids is unreasonable.

Is there a partnership with partners like Escrow.com or other escrow services to establish a deposit program with ROTD or other URL auctioneers for these 7 figure type assets?

Either way, good luck to ROTD with the lawsuit, at a minimum it will discourage this sort of reckless shill bidding from deadbeat bidders knowing they will be sued with haste.

Last edited:
•••
DNW: Bird.com and Fish.com bidder countersues Right of the Dot

read more

•••
So that email chain is part of what i described - as a seller I was completely in dark - communication was horrible. Moving offline to online is not in everyone's skill set. If they sent him those emails that he was outbid then he is likely off the hook. If he fabricated those then he is in REAL trouble.

•••
DNW:
Right of the Dot responds in Bird.com dispute

read more

•••
Unfortunate, hope it gets resolved. Maybe the seller will end up with even more when the right buyer invests, those are amazing domains.

I had a couple of lower tier domains in that auction, one sold, one did not. Happy with the process, I would certainly trust them to auction off more of my domains if the opportunity arose.

Thanks for the information, Lox.

Last edited:
•••
wow so with those Terms and Conditions I will never participate in another ROTD auction

•••
Back