NameSilo

Bird.com and Fish.com domain buyer failed to pay

Labeled as domains in Domain Industry News, started by Lox, May 11, 2021

Replies:
Views:

1. Lox

Lox _____ VIP Gold Account

The big buyer in February’s Right of the Dot domain name auction has failed to pay.

One person bid $4.85 million on three domains: $2.5 million for Bird.com, $1.6 million for Fish.com, and $750,000 for Tattoo.com. According to a lawsuit, the bidder never paid.

Right of the Dot and Bolten Properties (owner of the domains) have sued David Lizmi, who the Plaintiffs say is the deadbeat bidder. The lawsuit involves only Bird.com and Fish.com, the two domains that Bolten sold. Monte Cahn previously said that he sold Tattoo.com to another buyer.

read more (dnw)

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP

@jberryhill added. Thx!

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  3. johnn

johnn WeSellName.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Put a Tattoo of the Bird on his front head and the Fish on his dick and put him in jail.

4. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP

Exactly. It should he persecuted; this is fraud, and not be limited to six figure deals auctions.

@DropCatch Support sue the nonepayers, instead of “ban” them. Same, @DAN.COM and @Joe Styler,@Paul Nicks Godaddy auctions. Enough is enough.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  5. johnn

johnn WeSellName.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Once he get out of jail marry him to 3 wives.

6. Grego85

Grego85 Fire.Horse

what are the odds this was a shill gone wrong?

7. Alessandro Couteau

Alessandro Couteau Top Contributor VIP

8. DuDD

DuDD Established Member

• Ha ha ha, then I still have a chance

9. AEProgram

AEProgram Top Contributor VIP Blue Account

This will only happen when auction platforms take a set fee per auction if successful. There is too much for an auction house to gain by having a few wild emotional bidders.

10. AEProgram

AEProgram Top Contributor VIP Blue Account

ROTD sold one of my domains in that auction. They put in a lot of work collecting and according to them the winner had something come up beyond their control and I do understand that but ROTD still needed to deal with a lot of extra work and was always in touch with me over several months. They really earned the commission on this one.

I wonder if this is the same guy that purchased LoveLetter.co

"Sedo had two of the three country code sales with the other - #13 LoveLetter.co at $15,000 - going to David Lizmi. "

https://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2019/20190626.htm

11. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

or marry him while still in jail to 3 dude wives.

12. Kingslayer

Kingslayer Top Contributor VIP

Must be gutting for the owner/s of the domains, I’m sure they was overjoyed the night of the auction and celebrated and for the buyer not to pay, must be horrible!

It’s not good publicity for ‘Right of the Dot’ either, I hope they can learn a lesson from this too, ie:- having better background checks of registered bidders to make sure they have funds before they bid on a multi-million dollar domain name.

Still to get to $ 2.5 million for a domain, says to me someone else must have bid $2.4 million, can the domain not be sold to them? I can understand that buyer backing out too (ie:- thinking bidding only went that high because of a shill bidder), but yeah even though the buyer backed out, there is some positivity for the owner of the domains as this was good publicity for those domains (search engines will forever say they sold for huge amounts), these are multi-million dollar domain assets, so I’m sure the owner will get what they are worth sooner rather than later.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  13. industrydomains

industrydomains Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

that whole thing seemed strange - that auction overall was pretty lame - Monte flopped on this one

14. Jahe

Jahe Established Member

If someone is legitimately ready to pay over $1 million for a domain name at an auction like ROTD, I see no reason why a 10% deposit to make such high bids is unreasonable.

Is there a partnership with partners like Escrow.com or other escrow services to establish a deposit program with ROTD or other URL auctioneers for these 7 figure type assets?

Either way, good luck to ROTD with the lawsuit, at a minimum it will discourage this sort of reckless shill bidding from deadbeat bidders knowing they will be sued with haste.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  15. Lox

Lox _____ VIP Gold Account

DNW: Bird.com and Fish.com bidder countersues Right of the Dot

read more

16. industrydomains

industrydomains Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

So that email chain is part of what i described - as a seller I was completely in dark - communication was horrible. Moving offline to online is not in everyone's skill set. If they sent him those emails that he was outbid then he is likely off the hook. If he fabricated those then he is in REAL trouble.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice