Dynadot

Bidding on your own names at NameJet...?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Once in awhile I see people bidding on their own domains at NJ. I would think it would be frowned upon.

Today's seems more obvious than normal. Or am I missing something here?

Airlinejobs.com owned by Andy Booth at Booth.com and high bidder is BQDNcom (James Booth).

3 bids down we see Boothcom as a bidder.

Same thing with MovieZone.com. Owned by Andy Booth in which he currently appears to be the high bidder.

High Bid: $2,475 USD by boothcom

They actually won their own domain airplanesforsale.com. Im guessing it didnt get as high as they wanted so needed to protect it.

Bidder Amount Date
bqdncom $2,001 7/17/2017 12:23 PM
boothcom $1,950 7/17/2017 12:23 PM

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What are you saying anyway? I didnt write that. Goo gle indexes it all, I was shocked to read it. My point of posting all that I found was how pervasive an issue this is. This isn't a game, and these platforms are not trustworthy without being able to police and prevent these scandals. This is been going on forever.
Wasn't directing it at you. Your post prompted me to make a general comment that you can gain through nefarious means or you can gain through the proper path. Ultimately it leads to the same place.

Here's a motto from my alma mater:
"Today I am going to give you two examinations, one in trigonometry and one in honesty. I hope you will pass them both, but if you must fail one, let it be trigonometry, for there are many good [people] in this world today who cannot pass an examination in trigonometry, but there are no good [people] in the world who cannot pass an examination in honesty."
Madison Sarratt (1891-1978), dean, Vanderbilt University.

•••
If any of you are buying any of the excuses provided by the players in this shill bid drama, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you!

PM me your reserve price. Maybe I can buy and start an auction at NJ. hkdn could help with a bid just under my future reserve )

•••
Between 2016-11-29 and 2017-02-19 when your winner8888 "bot" was active, it does seem to have bid almost exclusively on 4L.com, 3L.net, 5N.com, and 3C.com. So that almost seems plausible... but do you know how many public auctions during this period matched any of those patterns? 14,901 Guess how many your bot participated in... 2,157 for a total of only 14%.

During that period you ran 846 auctions matching those patterns, you know how many your bot bid in? 714 for a total of 84%. Weird, your bot was in such a low percentage of those auctions but managed to barely miss any of your own. Not to mention that 33% of your total bids in these categories were for your own auctions, even though your own auctions only represented 6% of the inventory in that category. Meaning you were almost 6x more likely to bid in your own auction than a random seller's auction for those categories. Probably just a coincidence, although I wonder why you didn't run the API on your main account, and instead created a second account that wasn't an alias everyone knows you by.

Even if all this is true, your bot is supposed to represent you. Meaning if you didn't stop it from bidding in your own auctions, either because you somehow didn't connect the dots that you were selling the same types of names your bot buys, or you were too lazy/cheap to get it done (it's a 30 minute job tops), then you still did quite a bit of damage that NameJet needs to correct. More than 1,000 auctions...

Now even if we take that story at face value, which is very hard to swallow, you offered up no explanation how you managed to bid in 148 of your own auctions from your "seek" account, which is not a bot. Ok, you're running dozens of auctions a day and own a large portfolio, mistakes can happen. But 148 times? Bidding so aggressively that you were the runner-up in 16 of them without recognizing the names? Even manually winning two that you already owned? That's pretty nutty.

Especially considering that your explanation for the reserves getting hit the way they did means you were reviewing your auctions ending that day, every day, to determine what to drop the reserve on. So in the span of less than a day, you take a close look at your names ending that day as part of your reserve strategy, and forget them so completely that you don't even recognize them later when you're bidding on them? Weird.

And even if all of this is still true, there's a very, very serious problem at NameJet that they have no protection in place so basic as determining when a seller is bidding on his own auctions. And that they swept it under the rug five months ago without making anybody whole.

So that about covers it, other than the Booth situation and all the oddities that suggest you may actually be HKDN. Probably more coincidences and happenstance.

This!

Michael has done amazing job showing that the random bidding on own names explanation does not hold water.

Oliver, Booth bros, hkdn (provided it is not an alias for the same guys) and others have been running a shill operation judging by the facts provided by fellow NP members and the "answers" provided by them so far and NameJet has made it possible for them to do it so openly for so long.

I saw few excuses above making NJ look like mom and pop shop, but it is not. It is a web.com company, it should have all tools needed and if it did not, only because the "mom and pop" in charge needed a good fall back excuse and making it harder to keep track of things and investigate.

•••
I'm trying to track down auctions won by HKDN. So far I have checked three -- and all three have ties to Oliver...

upload_2017-7-21_0-23-28.png

upload_2017-7-21_0-22-26.png

upload_2017-7-21_0-21-50.png

http://blog.goldnames.com/?tag=bidomain-namejet --- I can't find bidding history

Currently owned by Marque Solutions

upload_2017-7-21_0-26-41.png

upload_2017-7-21_0-25-39.png

upload_2017-7-21_0-25-0.png

Sold for $420 to Taryn (Frank) --- couldn't find NameJet bidding history

upload_2017-7-21_0-28-42.png

upload_2017-7-21_0-29-30.png

upload_2017-7-21_0-28-16.png

upload_2017-7-21_0-39-33.png

WHOIS shows Marque Solutions (HKDN789@Gmail) as the owner of UAOM on 23 August 2016. (I can't see who bought it in July 2016 for 299 on NJ)

If HKDN (according to WHOIS) was the owner August 23 2016-- how did he win the domain at NameJet for $300 in October 2016?

It was then won in February 2017 for $410 by Taryn (Frank)

Last edited:
•••
This!

Michael has done amazing job showing that the random bidding on own names explanation does not hold water.

Michael wrote a retraction saying it was 5AM and he was on no sleep. He isn't sure the first 2 paragraphs are correct, and until further noticed shouldn't be considered fact. Something of that nature if memory serves correct.

•••
•••
Michael said the first two paragraphs were wrong.
This!

Oliver, Booth bros, hkdn (provided it is not an alias for the same guys) and others have been running a shill operation judging by the facts provided by fellow NP members and the "answers" provided by them so far and NameJet has made it possible for them to do it so openly for so long.

I saw few excuses above making NJ look like mom and pop shop, but it is not. It is a web.com company, it should have all tools needed and if it did not, only because the "mom and pop" in charge needed a good fall back excuse and making it harder to keep track of things and investigate.

•••
Rosener / mediaoptions writes that: 1. We have NOT engaged in shill bidding. PERIOD. STOP THE BULLsh*t.

and then misdefines shill bidding as: Listen, I'm done arguing this point but this part is critical. A SHILL BID is a bid where the person is hiding, using an alias or a proxy. If it is laid out in the TOS and the owner is clearly identified in the bidding process and the auction is a forced sale auction where no party can renege and a sale will happen no matter what, it is NOT a shill bid.

---

That means that if he or other owners have bid on their own auctions in the past without hiding identities, Rosener doesn't consider this to be shill bidding.

As well, so, if a friend or family of the owner bids openly without hiding his identity, and has an understanding with the owner that he will be reimbursed by the owner if he should win, that is still not shill bidding? On the surface all we'd see is some person bidding, no proxy, no hiding, but that's not shill bidding? Come on.

You may draw your own conclusions here, but it's not hard to connect the dots.

Last edited:
•••
upload_2017-7-21_0-53-4.png

upload_2017-7-21_0-51-50.png

upload_2017-7-21_0-51-14.png

upload_2017-7-21_0-50-34.png

Ok - That's 4/4 domains check with HKDN history checked to have an Oliver affiliation. I'm going to go to bed, and think of ways to automate this audit.

•••
Hope @jberryhill does not have any potential confict of interests here and so can post one or more lawyer comments...

•••
Michael said the first two paragraphs were wrong.

Come on, man. He did not say, they were wrong. He said he can't really say if it was bot or human, but that does not change anything, as you are responsible for your bot too.

•••
Michael wrote a retraction saying it was 5AM and he was on no sleep. He isn't sure the first 2 paragraphs are correct, and until further noticed shouldn't be considered fact. Something of that nature if memory serves correct.

No, he said that he cannot really say if it is bot or not, but conclusions hold, as you are responsible for bots too.

•••
one or more lawyer comments...

Well, I don't know if it is a lawyer comment or not, but I would suggest that when the cops are raiding the local massage parlor, it's not the best time to pose the intellectual question, "Why do we have a ban on indentured servitude, anyway?"

•••
Rosener writes that: 1. We have NOT engaged in shill bidding. PERIOD. STOP THE BULLsh*t.

and then misdefines shill bidding as: Listen, I'm done arguing this point but this part is critical. A SHILL BID is a bid where the person is hiding, using an alias or a proxy. If it is laid out in the TOS and the owner is clearly identified in the bidding process and the auction is a forced sale auction where no party can renege and a sale will happen no matter what, it is NOT a shill bid.

---

That means that if he or other owners have bid on their own auctions in the past without hiding identities, Rosener doesn't consider this to be shill bidding.

As well, so, if a friend or family of the owner bids openly without hiding his identity, and has an understanding with the owner that he will be reimbursed by the owner if he should win, that is still not shill bidding? On the surface all we'd see is some person bidding, no proxy, no hiding, but that's not shill bidding? Come on.

You may draw your own conclusions here, but it's not hard to connect the dots.
It's not hard to connect the dots for you because you can't distinguish between practice and theory. You irrationally connected two different discussions to come to a single conclusion. What's sad about this is despite your erroneous logic you continue to level accusations on a man without a shred of evidence. That is wrong, not just for Andrew but wrong when someone accuses YOU of fraud sometime in the future based on similar bad logic.

Last edited:
•••
No, he said that he cannot really say if it is bot or not, but conclusions hold, as you are responsible for bots too.

Sorry, 5am here and I haven't slept yet... I messed up the first query about how many auctions matched those patterns. The first two paragraphs are inaccurate, and I don't have anything to show that it wasn't a bot. My mistake. But the rest of the post stands, doesn't really matter if it was a bot as long as you control what it does. And who wants to monitor two NJ accounts instead of one, I don't see why you'd create the new alias.

Just re-read it. Still don't fully understand the conclusion (It's here -- losing focus power)

From the manual review I'm doing, the correlation between HKDN and Oliver appear overwhelming (only a small sample size though)

Last edited:
•••
So the two paragraphs were right?

Come on, man. He did not say, they were wrong. He said he can't really say if it was bot or human, but that does not change anything, as you are responsible for your bot too.

•••
I've only communicated with you three times but I can safely conclude you are hilarious. You can't be for real!
Well, I don't know if it is a lawyer comment or not, but I would suggest that when the cops are raiding the local massage parlor, it's not the best time to pose the intellectual question, "Why do we have a ban on indentured servitude, anyway?"

•••
<--- needs to get a life.

Current thread stats:
upload_2017-7-21_1-12-36.png

upload_2017-7-21_1-13-30.png

54/961 replies from me.

I'm sure somebody else has more posts than me in this thread - just a side lol

Another members post count in this thread - lol...

upload_2017-7-21_1-18-38.png

Last edited:
•••
•••
And probably another 200 posts as replies to your replies or caused by them ;)

I'm tired so I don't quite understand what this means lol...Good night all!

•••
•••
•••
•••
NameJet will be out of business?

•••

I'm not sure how accurate / current the reverse WHOIS shows. Definitely helps as my tired brain has been extracting data from other places...

I started parsing Goldnames for HKDN and going from there -- that way there is a bidding history of HKDN for timeline purposes. There's gotta be an easier way to do this -- not very good at finding old namejet listings that reveal bid history.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back