Domain Empire

Beware of Reg Fly Grace Period SCAM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domainbrokers

Account Suspended
Impact
There's another thread about this that I would prefer to just see DIE a quick death, it has way too much needless info in it.

To sum it all up in this new thread, the grace period at Reg Fly is a major problem if you are like me the owner of many domains and a person that lets some minor names expire and renew them within the 30 day grace period that most registrar's use

In the members area of Reg Fly you will find this statement in the expired name renewal screen

" These names have expired, normally a 30 day grace period is provided however it is not guaranteed."

The fact is the major registrar's give you 30+ days of grace, Reg Fly does not. They say they do but they don't GUARANTEE IT. This is deceptive if you ask me and can cause a larger domain owner problems if they use Reg Fly.

Anyway, since my problem wasn't really a problem (the names removed before 30 days expired at RF were not even names I had at RF, they had been moved to eNom) I though some of you might like to know that the grace period at RF is not solid.

Also, if you keep getting WRONG renewal notices from RF like I have been getting, I think it is grounds for a class action suit. I view my time as being very valuable and I don't need to get WRONG BILLS from RF that then take hours to figure out.

So let's keep this thread going about grace periods and incorrect bills from RF and let the original thread die a quick death. It has way too much info in it to now be an easy thread to follow.

DB

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
From enom's faq. Note policy

My domain expired, how long do you keep it before someone else can buy it?

While there is no guaranteed grace period, registrars will retain expired domains between 1-45 days. Typically a domain will age 1-42 days after expiration before eNom sends a delete command to the registry. That gives the owner some time to correct a possible oversight in renewing the domain. It may be dropped at 30 days or less, and we encourage previous owners to renew as quickly as possible to avoid disappointment caused by losing the domain.

Please note that only .com, .net, .org, and .cc domain names can be reactivated after they have expired. All other TLDs will be deleted upon expiration without any grace period.

Once a .com, .net. or .org domain name has reached the end of eNom's grace period the domain falls into a "redemption period" with the registry. The registry will hold the domain for an additional 30 days before it is dropped. There is a $200 fee plus the renewal year to recover the domain during this time period.

Once a domain is dropped, it can be purchased by anyone at any time. Should someone else purchase your domain, you will need to contact them and attempt to buy it back. Or use the ICANN Dispute Policy (their link can be found on the bottom of every page at www.enom.com).

To avoid losing valuable domains, you might chose to add multiple years to your names to ensure long term ownership. When you add years to a domain, the time is added to the current expiration date, so you will never lose time or pay for extra months.

Published: 10/29/2003 1:38 PM Last Updated: 10/29/2003 1:38 PM
Did this article answer your question?
Thank you for the assistance, I'm finished.
I would like to submit my question to an agent.

URL

NOTE: "It may be dropped at 30 days or less, and we encourage previous owners to renew as quickly as possible to avoid disappointment caused by losing the domain."

Buy you already knew that because you are a "legal expert"

•••
I'm not here to argue with you, BTW, I've actually argued in three different state supreme courts, so I do have a 'legal background'.

eNom is the current registrar, but you miss the point, the original registrar was an enom client, Reg Fly.

While you might not like me pointing out how Reg Fly is saying you have 30 days and then saying BULL like 'well it is not guaranteed', many here might like to know that Reg Fly is 1. using deceptive practices in regards to grace period. It is also obvious enom is as well.

I have a very small percentage of my names at eNom, I don't like their business practices and the above grace period 'disclaimer' is just one more reason to not use enom.

The bottom line is legit registrars give you 30+ days, for any registrar to mention 30 days and then take it away, is an obvious 'deceptive' practice.

This thread isn't about my 'legal abilities', which are plentiful. It is about letting others here be made aware that both eNom and Reg Fly are playing games with grace periods.

So if you choose to use them, beware, don't let names fall into grace periods.

If you have thousands of names like I do, and you let some 'minor' names fall into the 30 day 'grace window' then you just need to know eNom and Reg Fly are not registrars that allow you to use a solid grace period.

Why are you being so rude?

I told you what my experience is and you can either agree or disagree, to make comments about my expertise on law is rude. I am 'expert' in many areas of law and I have a large amount of knowledge about many facets of law including 'contract law' and all the subtleties of 'implied' and 'inferred' rights.

eNom and Reg Fly both refer to 30 days, well guess what, at Reg Fly it is not true.

Guess what, Reg Fly sends out bills to people that don't even have names with them.

This forum is suppose to be about letting others know about what you come across while using various registrar's and such.

Yet you obiviously are not interested in being 'informed' you appear to be only interested in making rude comments.

Take my notice and use it, ignore it and let a domain fall into a grace period at eNom or their clients like Reg Fly and you may end up losing a domain name.

You have 'rights' as a domain name registrant and eNom and Reg Fly are violating those 'rights' in my opinion.

My opinion is a learned one, and you can use it to save yourself a headache or you can mock it.

In summation, use a registrar like Go Daddy, that's my opinion.

They don't play games with grace periods.

They don't have deceptive fee schedules on their front doors as eNom does.

While eNom may be the registrar of 'choice' at this forum, it is not my 'choice'. I use it to usually have names I BUY pushed into it by the type of people that use this forum.

I've been buying for years at places like this and DNF and DNS and the other myriad of places where Domains are discussed. The reason is you can acquire names here for virtually nothing and then sell them to end users for tidy sums.

Let's see, last week I sold a .net purchased in a forum like this almost one year ago.

I paid maybe 50 or 100 dollars for it. A vast sum in such a forum geared toward resellers.

Well the name went to the end user who also has the .com

The sale was upper x,xxx.xx

One of the better .net's that I've sold. There was that one .net I sold last summer for upper xx,xxx.xx but that was a rare one.

I don't normally sell in the .net tld, but on occassion I do.

Anyway, take my warning and benefit from it, or mock it.

I don't care. But I know some here are very interested in learning about such things.

•••
I know that reg fly does use parts of the enom system but I do not think they are an enom reseller. Correct me if I am wrong here but regfly is a Dodora reseller am I correct?

•••
Originally posted by .edu
I know that reg fly does use parts of the enom system but I do not think they are an enom reseller. Correct me if I am wrong here but regfly is a Dodora reseller am I correct?

No, regfly is enom's largest reseller(confirmed by enom).

•••
RegisterFly is owned by UnifiedNames = Dodora This is Confirmed.

•••
Correct me if I am wrong here but regfly is a Dodora reseller am I correct?

This was your question. I do not think they resell for dodora, they resell for enom.

•••
•••
http://www.unifiednames.com According to UnifiedNames, they are resellers of UnifiedNames/Dodora.

You must be seeing something I do not

Investment Portfolio

Dodora.net

I do not see anything that says reseller. Do you?

I took the liberty of checking a few sites such as dotster, godaddy, register.com with the exception of directnic(40 day) not one of them posted a policy on grace periods in their support or knowledge base. It is good enom and fly post the policy

Last edited:
•••
If I remember the way the deal was done, the name was offered in some forum for a small sum, under 200

I asked the Reg Fly registrant if they could push to my eNom account, I think that was how the name was sent to me

So it ended up in both my eNom and Reg Fly accounts

Some other Reg Fly names I bought were done that way too

I'm not a big fan of either eNom or Reg Fly, if the name is major and I plan on developing it or selling it then I will transfer such a name immediately away from such registrants

Anyway, Reg Fly has to be downstream of eNom since they did allow the push and the support staff involved stated "we've esclated this problem to eNom"

So Reg Fly is closely aligned to eNom like Wild West is to Go Daddy

If anyone else knows how to push names from Reg Fly to eNom please post details since I want to empty my Reg Fly account now

Eventually the names will all end up at GD, since I prefer them

Yes I know I can get some names cheaper by having 1000+ names at eNom, however, I just don't like a few things about eNom

So if you know how to push names from Reg Fly to eNom please do tell us, I'm sure others would like to know how it is done

•••
Thanks for clarifying that Riceman. I still don't see why Dodora has to resell for enom if they are an icann accredited registrar. Domainbrokers, as far as I know you can not transfer domains between regfly and enom.

•••
Yeah same with me, I never knew that RegisterFly does such a thing. I was starting to get used to their website and everything and now I find this out! :(

•••
how a registrar handles expired names is an important part of deciding which is the registrar for you to use for the bulk of your names, so if the info I gave here helped you, I'm glad

I just hate 'hidden print' and 'quasi disclosures', you either give 30 days grace or you don't, for reg fly to say well it's 30 days but we don't 'guarantee it' is a big red flag imho

anyway, glad you thought the info was relevant RAF

some don't like anything negative to be said about eNom I guess or their clients

if you do use the grace period on occassion, then you need to know 30 days is not solid via eNom or Reg Fly

•••
Thanks for clarifying that Riceman. I still don't see why Dodora has to resell for enom if they are an icann accredited registrar. Domainbrokers, as far as I know you can not transfer domains between regfly and enom.

Perhaps (I'm speculating here) Dodora bought (or invested in) RegisterFly after it had already established its foothold with the eNom back-end. I would imagine it is cheaper for RegisterFly to simply keep on at eNom than attempt to transfer all of these domains to another ICANN reseller. Not to mention everyone using eNom's DNS servers would have to undergo a DNS server update, which would cause downtime, etc.

Also, it would seem advantageous for Dodora to have a foothold with its competitor. In the event of system outage, Dodora can fail over to eNom through it's stooge registrar (RF), only to transfer the domain back to Dodora after the outage. I'm sure there would be other benefits as well.

•••
The only thing I hate about regfly is - They said they were redesigning to "speed" up some - and if it is even possible - The Site is even slower !!!!

•••
The ONLY thing? Oh, I think there are many, many more things to hate about RegisterFly than that... but that's a topic for another thread (point me which way...)

•••
I guess I've just been lucky - Because I don't hear much good - But then again, Maybe the regs I used before were reeeaaalllly bad - and I didn't know it either ......... lol -

I'll keep my eyes open a bit more anyway -

•••
If they are only a reseller, they probably don't control the grace period decisions...

My advice - stick to ICANN accredited registrars.

•••
Originally posted by domainbrokers
some don't like anything negative to be said about eNom I guess or their clients

I don't know if it's enom or registerfly itself but if you say anything negative about "registerfly" you will get a confrontational response. That is so painfully obvious.

•••
Glad I haven't really tried RegFly before now. Almost did once but then went with NameCheap instead (used TOSDomains a few times before, they were okay but I perfer NC).

:)

•••
Originally posted by all4cost
The only thing I hate about regfly is - They said they were redesigning to "speed" up some - and if it is even possible - The Site is even slower !!!!
their site is really slow!

•••
What I would suggest for someone that is in a habit of buying so many names would be to use a tracking system that tracks when your domains are going to expire. Whilst I may not be in the same league as somebody who deals in thousands of domains, I have in the hundred's, I don't let them expire and then go about trying to resurrect a name.

Whats the point of this anyway, when you add time on to a domain, it adds it to the expiration date, not the date that you added the year.

No offence to anybody intended by this, but this discussion really is a moot point. All I see gained by the allowing of domains to expire is hassle for the registrant and in a busy life, that is hassle I can do without!!

And by the way, Registerfly is REALLY slow :lol:

•••
I would have to agree with bensontwenty on tracking the expiry date for domains. Nice suggestion. :tu:

•••
I like Search Engine Commando for keeping track of all my domain expiry dates, WHOIS info, DNS servers and even IP resolution. It emails you if a domain is getting ready to expire (of course, most Registrars do too -- but you can trust SEC, since it's actually checking the WHOIS and not some second-tier registrar's internal records (a la NameCheap, RegisterFly)) or if any WHOIS info changes, helping you avoid stolen domains or misconfigurations.

If you are interested, you can download this software from my affiliate site at http://www.searchfor1.com/ or directly from http://www.download.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back