Dynadot

discuss Best way to sell a .com to a company using the .net version?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I own the .com of a brandable name. There is a company using this name, but the .net version.

I'm looking to reach out and sell this to them. Are there any tips / must-knows in order to successfully make the sale?

What should and shouldn't I say?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Before you reach out to them... Is the name trademarked?

•••
•••
Okay, well the most common advice you'll get for making outbound sales pitches is to keep the first contact simple and short, but professional. Don't try to talk them into it right away, because it'll come off sounding spammy and pushy.
  • Let them know the name is available for sale.
  • Tell them it would be beneficial for them to acquire it.
  • If you like you can quote an asking price right away, but might be better to wait and see if they express interest.
  • Make sure you provide your full name and phone number for contact.

•••
From @Federer

This week I redesigned our main template (see below) and it is producing 3x more replies and sales than before:

Hello,

We thought you may be be interested in a domain name we are looking to sell:

LakeCharlesAttorneys.com

According to Google Keyword Planner, there are 50 monthly searches for those keywords. You could capitalise on some of these searches by developing the domain and forwarding targeted traffic to your main website (via outbound links, enquiry form etc.).

The domain is for sale for $199.
Please let me know if your business would be interested in this opportunity as we are reaching out to some companies that we feel could benefit from the branding appeal this domain could offer.

Best regards,
Federer

Rua Address Number | Postcode / ZIP Code | Country
Direct Phone | Cellphone
- Any history of the Domain can be viewed here: web.archive.org/LakeCharlesAttorneys.com
- Registration info: whois.domaintools.com/LakeCharlesAttorneys.com
- This is a one-time advertisement that is being sent to your company just once; please reply « stop » if you no longer wish to receive a message from us in the future

Potential buyers seem to MUCH rather see a stated price in the initial email.

•••
Just FYI, reaching out to them to sell your domain could be considered "bad faith" on your part, and be used against you if the other party decided to file a dispute against you for the domain. Even if there isn't a registered trademark, the company may still believe they have common law trademark rights, especially if it is something brandable/non-generic.

Granted, threat of legal action is not much of a consideration if you're looking for a quick sale with low price, but if the domain is inherently valuable, you may want to avoid contact altogether.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back