Dynadot

question Any case of .net registered way before .com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NameJi

The Domain LoverTop Member
Impact
Have you come across any case where .net domain is registered way before .com for the same string. I saw this case recently with one of my .com domain name. Who-is says the .net version is registered 6 months ago and .com is very fresh (no drops).

Is there a strategy or the buyer missed the .com? Please let me know your thoughts.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting. Is the .net name IT related, networking? 15-20 years ago we saw a few .org domain names taken with the .com available or registered later. But, back then at least that made some sense for organizations and charities.

Some people have very unique objectives that are unrelated to traditional thought in the space.

•••
no its not networking related. I even see the .net version is put on for sale. :)

•••
The .net being created before the .com goes all the way back to the very first domain name creation of Nordu.net
Answer: The first domain name registered was Symbolics.com. It was registered March 15, 1985, to Symbolics Inc., a computer systems company in Cambridge, Mass. It was not the first domain name created, however — that title goes to Nordu.net, a Scandinavian research collaboration, which created the domain Jan. 1, 1985
Source

Nordu.com has a registration date of 2004-01-31

:)

•••
The .net being created before the .com goes all the way back to the very first domain name creation of Nordu.net
Answer: The first domain name registered was Symbolics.com. It was registered March 15, 1985, to Symbolics Inc., a computer systems company in Cambridge, Mass. It was not the first domain name created, however — that title goes to Nordu.net, a Scandinavian research collaboration, which created the domain Jan. 1, 1985
Source

Nordu.com has a registration date of 2004-01-31

:)
wow. very interesting. I understand this is possible in the 198*. Surprised with the fact that it is still happening in 2019.

In 2019, .com is the king. I m trying to figure out the reasons behind the strategy of registering .net way before .com;

•••
wow. very interesting. I understand this is possible in the 198*. Surprised with the fact that it is still happening in 2019.

In 2019, .com is the king. I m trying to figure out the reasons behind the strategy of registering .net way before .com;
I think it really boils down to what is before the dot and if it makes more sense as a company (.com) or a network (.net).

Business to business consumption in this industry is influenced by branding. Because of this, the extension sometimes plays a vital role in that branding for business to consumer digestion, association, and easy to remember.

The above, in my opinion, is a motivating factor for .net over .com instances.

The analogy I like to use is: Like with all extensions, the better the "before the dot" and "after the dot" play together, the better they pay together.

This sounds like something interesting to research more into, for case by case referencing. 😊

•••
A couple reasons come to mind, one being as Eric said, it may have seemed a better fit at the time with the .net extension. Another is that if registered by an end user, back in the 90s they were unaware of the investment value of going with the .com, and wouldn't have even cared, particularly people in the tech or networking areas.

I come across of .nets on GD expired that were the original registration for the name, meaning the first time ever in any extension, even before the .com. Have accumulated a couple, because of their historical significance I find it very interesting.

But as far as investment value, most names I have come across in the .net registered before the .com, they are of inferior quality, which may also be an indicator of the mindset behind the registration.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back