Dynadot

Best registrar to move 500 domains to?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I can’t do Godaddy anymore. They are making it very difficult to navigate and for potential buyers to contact me.

Where is the best place to relocate? I like Name and Dynadot but it’s hard to trust any entity with 500 plus domains.

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dyna has account reps for bigger accounts, probably not for 500. Issue with dyandot even if you had an account for 10 years there, if you buy a domain in their aftermarket, you can't even push it to another account for 30 days, some really old restrictive rules still on there, not sure why.

Yes, annoying. on the upside, they don't lock expired auctions for a ridiculously 60 days like GoDaddy does. It's just 15 days from auction close.

Overall I think DD is ways more transparent about this stuff. With GoDaddy you have to keep your fingers crossed, praying things will work out as expected each and every time.

•••
what do you mean difficult for potential buyers to contact you? How could they control that?

@AEProgram
Dynadot has a unique feature at WHOIS when names are there, a button contact buyer.

Also if someone emails the privacy email, dynadot support forwards the emails to you

Finally a button make offer appears at every domain if you have it listed at their marketplace.

I use em for 12 years with > 1000 names, pretty cool with bulk options eg can change dns records or contacts etc at 1000 names at once , i do not like their latest changes but can not have it all

Last edited:
•••
Dynadot, Porkbun and NameCheap in that order. Of all the different registrars I've use in the last 3 years, Dynadot is by far the best.

•••
•••
I see that GoDaddy has made changes recently, and now the domain names at GoDaddy are showing the registrant's email address on whois. Can anybody else please confirm?

•••
I see that GoDaddy has made changes recently, and now the domain names at GoDaddy are showing the registrant's email address on whois. Can anybody else please confirm?
Yes. Also:

If you didn't have whois privacy enabled, they now show all registrant data in Whois whereas they should be redacting it to be in compliance with GDPR.

They're highly incompetent. I'm done.

•••
Yes, as @branding mentioned, it is now enabled if privacy is off.
I do not trust Godaddy because of their shaddy email practices in trying to effectively take leads which is what it seems this tentamounts to. I started a thread about it months ago and nothing was done. I moved ~400 of my names out and have about 1,300 more to move to Dynadot. Much cleaner and more manageable interface for large portfolio holders anyways.
After raising the issue with GoDaddy and ICANN, GD registrant emails can directly be viewed on Whois. This is a welcomed change, allowing this customer preference if "privacy off" has been requested. You absolutely still have the ability to block or have your email filtered through GoDaddy, if you still want.

Nonetheless, when renewal prices and the control panel interfaces are compared, Dynadot right now does appear still very attractive as a registrar. GoDaddy's recent responsiveness has given me some new hope for that registrar.
If you didn't have whois privacy enabled, they now show all registrant data in Whois whereas they should be redacting it to be in compliance with GDPR.
Actually, the matter was raised with ICANN, so their actions are very likely in compliance with the regulations. At least for US citizens, it appears permissible to allow all the information to be displayed--if the customer requests that setting. And the display settings are similar to what Dynadot and Namecheap provide with "privacy off" as well.

For the EU, it's unclear to me if the GDPR allows such visibility up front of a registrant's email, even if the registrant wants it.

Last edited:
•••
For the EU, it's unclear to me if the GDPR allows such visibility up front of a registrant's email, even if the registrant wants it.

If you do want it, it's ok. But it always needs to be an opt in, not an opt out.

So you have to actively disable privacy for them to be allowed to show your details.

There are pros and cons on showing registrant details in whois. Depending on the case.

For domainers it can be an advantage, for endusers it can raise security issues. Actually, the same security concerns are there for domainers but it's probably a risk you should be willing to take (and take measures against) to generate more sales.

I'm dealing with GoDaddy in my own country (EU) so was kinda surprised they didn't redact the details upon their changes made and have filed a complaint with the local DPA.

•••
Is this for new registrations, or have domains that were previously on DomainsByProxy suddenly changed to revealing your private information?

•••
Is this for new registrations, or have domains that were previously on DomainsByProxy suddenly changed to revealing your private information?

In my experience, yes. They made the change on current registrations.

•••
In my experience, yes. They made the change on current registrations.
In my case, I can't replicate that with the domains I still have with GoDaddy. GoDaddy put these on DomainsByProxy itself in the past, and they still are. Have tested various extensions by directly querying whois.godaddy.com. The only time I know GoDaddy takes the privacy off is when I'm transferring domains to another registrar. And thankfully that mission is almost complete.

•••
In my case, I can't replicate that with the domains I still have with GoDaddy. GoDaddy put these on DomainsByProxy itself in the past, and they still are. Have tested various extensions by directly querying whois.godaddy.com. The only time I know GoDaddy takes the privacy off is when I'm transferring domains to another registrar. And thankfully that mission is almost complete.

You could be right. It happened to me ( client actually) after I received a pushed domain. Privacy was off (before push) but since we're working with GoDaddy locally (EU) they should be redacting PII.

It's a good things they're working on it it but like always, with GoDaddy you never know what you're going to get.

•••
After raising the issue with GoDaddy and ICANN, GD registrant emails can directly be viewed on Whois.

Thanks.

Now I wouldn't have to move my domains. I wish GoDaddy would reduce the price of the domain discount club.

Last edited:
•••
Dynadot screwed itself, by disabling its own marketplace without notice, just pretending it is still there.

•••
Dynadot screwed itself, by disabling its own marketplace without notice, just pretending it is still there.

Screenshot_20230507-211121.png

•••
•••
I can’t do Godaddy anymore. They are making it very difficult to navigate and for potential buyers to contact me.

Where is the best place to relocate? I like Name and Dynadot but it’s hard to trust any entity with 500 plus domains.

Thoughts?

Hi Keith,I hope you are well,I am with GoDaddy over 10 years, and I have great experience with them as well,the best way is to list your domains for sale direct with dan or sedo ,and always don't forget to change the DNS meaning when people search for that domain will show to buyers that domain name is for sale,you can list them as you wish,buy it now or make an offer. Good Luck

•••
Have a look at z.com , great support , great promos .
Do not use Z.com. Extremely difficult to manage domains as their interface is definitely not for domainers. You'll have a lot of trouble with support. Transfers in are terrible. Just lots of downsides.

I would recommend Dynadot, Namesilo, or Namecheap.

Last edited:
•••
Do not use Z.com. Extremely difficult to manage domains as their interface is definitely not for domainers. You'll have a lot of trouble with support. Transfers in are terrible. Just lots of downsides.

I would recommend Dynadot, Namesilo, or Namecheap.

Always have had great support from z.com , transferred out domains with no problems at all .

•••
For GTLDs, even with privacy off, the registrant details appear to be redacted. Can GoDaddy fix this?

•••
Always have had great support from z.com , transferred out domains with no problems at all .

I said transfers "in" not "out". But even outbound transfers have no option to be expedited for example.

•••
Has anyone tried Cloudflare? They seem to have good prices

•••
For GTLDs, even with privacy off, the registrant details appear to be redacted. Can GoDaddy fix this?

At GoDaddy.com, with privacy turned off, GTLDs are not showing the registrant details for me. Can anyone please confirm?

Last edited:
•••
I have over 700 domains and I'm at Dynadot... My domains were all over the place (Namesilo, Namecheap, GoDaddy, etc) but now Dynadot is something I like -- they also got bulk discounts gives more renewal discounts.

•••
hey keith, if you've moved your 500 it's time to close this thread. jus sayin.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back