IT.COM

discuss Best Reason to Sell your Premium Name for Nothing

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

toughdomains

Top Member
Impact
Im not sure if this is already a thread but wanted to get some of the all time replies from buyers trying to justify why you should sell your name for less than what you paid (or in general less than what its worth)

...I will start with my all time favorite...just a little history I paid $9,000 USD for this name on sedo and would have paid more but there is a verification needed for bids over 10k which I did not have at the time...I have since sold the name.

--
We recently corresponded on sedo.com about your ownership of sliced.com. I thought it might be a good idea to move our conversation outside of Sedo so we could speak freely.

I understand that you made a significant investment in the domain name, but I can see that the person you purchased it from only paid $2,500 in 2012. Unfortunately the domain isn’t worth $10k to me (I own a similar name that is acceptable for my needs), but I would be willing to go as high as $2,500 since that seems like a more reasonable valuation given other sales I’ve been seeing (maybe we could use an escrow service to avoid the Sedo fees).

I’m sure a domain reseller is never excited to take a loss, but I imagine it's occasionally part of the game in order to recoup funds and make future investments.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think there are any majik words here bro.

Seller either takes the loss or does not.

Just give a price, talk about it friendly, and move on. Giving an owner an appraisal is insulting and not necessary.

Whatever you do avoid looking professional. I made a professional eMail to a domain owner, next thing they pull it off market and hire broker. Maybe it was a switch they planned anyway but that never happens when I am emailing pretending as first time business owner, college student, or non-profit NGO.

Good thread, thumbs up OP.

•••
It depends. Do you feel that the domain is worth $2500 (in this specific case)? Do you think an end user might pay more for this domain in the future?

Yes, it occassionally is a part of the game but it has to be considered relative to the genuine potential of the domain. I've acquired domains for more than it was worth and yes, I took a loss there. But that was also because I did not want to hold it longer and continue incurring the carrying cost for that domain!

Last edited:
•••
Im not sure if this is already a thread but wanted to get some of the all time replies from buyers trying to justify why you should sell your name for less than what you paid (or in general less than what its worth)

...I will start with my all time favorite...just a little history I paid $9,000 USD for this name on sedo and would have paid more but there is a verification needed for bids over 10k which I did not have at the time...I have since sold the name.

--
We recently corresponded on sedo.com about your ownership of sliced.com. I thought it might be a good idea to move our conversation outside of Sedo so we could speak freely.

I understand that you made a significant investment in the domain name, but I can see that the person you purchased it from only paid $2,500 in 2012. Unfortunately the domain isn’t worth $10k to me (I own a similar name that is acceptable for my needs), but I would be willing to go as high as $2,500 since that seems like a more reasonable valuation given other sales I’ve been seeing (maybe we could use an escrow service to avoid the Sedo fees).

I’m sure a domain reseller is never excited to take a loss, but I imagine it's occasionally part of the game in order to recoup funds and make future investments.

Thanks!

The person is delusional, the logic makes no sense, the domain is not worth $10,000 to you, great move along. They take the arrogant opinion that their appraisal matters, it doesn't. The price of fine wine is not worth it to a lot of potential consumers but the vineyard does not say, oh well if you don't feel it's worth it, we will accomodate your value of our asset.

I just wish the person that emailed you was sending it to Rick Schwartz back when Rick blogged. That would have been a good read. Thanks for posting here.

Last edited:
•••
not my intention to discuss this specific email ...really wanted to see other emails of why you should sell for peanuts.
but in case your interested I replied with this

So just following your reply, you want me to sell it to you for a 7k lose because the previous person bought it for that?
Domains are like real estate. Can I buy your house for what the previous person paid?

•••
not my intention to discuss this specific email ...really wanted to see other emails of why you should sell for peanuts.
but in case your interested I replied with this

So just following your reply, you want me to sell it to you for a 7k lose because the previous person bought it for that?
Domains are like real estate. Can I buy your house for what the previous person paid?
You nailed him totally. I think he won't reply your email now. Becuse people may lose $1 to $200 from $9k investment but not $7000.

•••

Last edited:
•••
Some buyers suffer from what I call the entitlement syndrome. If you want to sell for a loss, it should be your choice and not because a buyer thinks you should. If it doesn't have any or little value, why does he want to buy it then?

•••
Perfect reply!

Also, I would send them the GoDaddy Appraisal along with the example names at the bottom of the appraisal. Not that I use GoDaddy's Appraisal tool as definitive. But if the GoDaddy Valuation tool provides a nice price, why not use it in negotiations... (and the sales figures the tool gives for Baked and Roasted are nice comparables...)

Regards,
DN

•••
I could not see myself selling for a loss unless I would get stock/merchandise, or it was for .org/charity. It's not like a fad domain that's passed it's heyday or anything?

•••
I've sold at heavy losses on multiple occasions. Some of these involved overpaying for names that clearly involved shill bidding so real market value back when I purchased was entirely inflated. I either chose to sell at a loss / trade at a loss out of necessity, loss of or new interest in particular market or minimizing loss. People do drop names that they've paid $xxxx's for.

EDIT--->Forgot to mention to consider the mentality of those seeking names to purchase in the Request section.

Last edited:
•••
Here's a reply from an inquiry on a domain through domainnamesales system.

Comments: .com is not important anymore. There are others as low as $1 on godaddy so I will never offer more than $5.

•••
I personally think any common one word, 6 letter .com is a great price under 10k as an investment. you should see 5k to 40k profit...you just need a little patience.
Here's a reply from an inquiry on a domain through domainnamesales system.

Comments: .com is not important anymore. There are others as low as $1 on godaddy so I will never offer more than $5.
if its not important why is he asking about your .com? why doesnt he hand reg a gtld for $1....love this reply never heard this one....great contribution.

•••
here is another one I found....little history...I bought this name in auction after someone picked it up expired...later found out this person emailing me was the previous owner who let it drip and his offer price was $50.... I think I countered with 5k+ for a 8 letter, 2 word .com his reason was that it looks nice if he had all the .com versions of his name for his business.

--------------
thanks for getting back to me promptly.
however its a lot more than I hoped it may be.

I have the .co.uk for many years so will keep using that.

it was just that my other companies all have .com so simply thought it would look neaten if they all had the same so its not a crucial requirement

thanks anyway.

•••
I find it more interesting to see who has picked-up my drops, (than rather make the effort to sell them at a low price). some domain capture services still don't know their arse-from-their-elbow. There's equally some good education from anything you think may have worth to see nobody else is remotely interested. and we may well be talking about 10 plus years of registration paid.

apologies for it being a bit off your subject-post. but it's still about paying for a poor return

Last edited:
•••

--

Thanks!
Wow, what an idiot. Can't believe they wrote that to you. Hope it didn't ruffle your feathers much, fck them

•••
That domain name is worth much more. Do not sell at a loss to that customer. Sell to a domainer that will appreciate your gift if you are desperate and need the cash.

Here is a reply that I got. Unfortunately marketers are very stupid and exact matches are very memorable.

"Thanks. But an exact match domain name as you know does not do much for SERPS these days, so that is not very relevant to me. Branding is why I reached out. We are very far off with our numbers now, are you willing to come down considerably in your sales price? If not we will go with our 2nd choice domain name as we need to be strategic with our marketing dollars."

•••
Forgot to mention to consider the mentality of those seeking names to purchase in the Request section.

Yup, I've read a few of those recently that had me thinking "What on earth do you expect for that price?". Within the last few months it'd be tough to beat the request for a short memorable brandable for a new member's "business start-up" and they were willing to offer a whole (drum roll please...) "$1 to $5 dollars"!

•••
Yup, I've read a few of those recently that had me thinking "What on earth do you expect for that price?". Within the last few months it'd be tough to beat the request for a short memorable brandable for a new member's "business start-up" and they were willing to offer a whole (drum roll please...) "$1 to $5 dollars"!
yet if you look at the replies in requests there are a consideralbe amount of DM's

•••
yet if you look at the replies in requests there are a consideralbe amount of DM's

But on the other hand, you often also get the OP complaining about being sent cr*p and not within the defined limits of the request!

•••
But on the other hand, you often also get the OP complaining about being sent cr*p and not within the defined limits of the request!
sometimes you can get lucky with a motivated seller...I just bought senior camps in king off a NP member on flippa for a good price..the power of the sig lines....there needs to be more places to feature your domains....with a pay model to weed out the awful ones.

•••
I had a similar email for the first domain in my signature, the person quoted my purchase price , said its not worth that much then proceeded to offer me my pick of about 50 extremely low quality aged domains as a trade.... it must be the same guy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back