Dynadot

Best Code To Learn for a Beginner

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi,
I've been using Wordpress up to now which has been going really well. I'm looking to make my own sites but I am wondering which code would be the best to learn. I have been advised to learn html, css and JavaScript.
What does everyone think would be the best code to learn to make simple, effective websites?

What code would you use to make a site like this: http://wwwaste.fr/ ?

What code would you use to make a site like this:
http://www.pointlesscorp.com/

Thanks for your help

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Those sites use JavaScript, but make sure you know HTML and CSS inside out first, else using JavaScript will get confusing.

It won't take long to learn, when I started I picked it up in a matter of days, just think of an ambitious layout, and build it even if you think it is not possible. Then begin learning beautiful JavaScript :)

•••
Joomla sucks. Don't touch that outdated spaghetti code. Bad seo, bad performance, sucky modules... there is nothing about Junkla... I mean Joomla that I recommend.

M8, if you are learning to code... go all the way. Code your own CMS. YOu will be glad you did. Code it, revise it... revise it again. That is how most open source packages started... students doing projects in school... that cannot sell it, they can only make it open source since it was a school project.

Start by learning the basics of php like how to echo a string. Then work up to manipulating variables. Then on to arrays and manipulating arrays... then mysqli commands.... and so on and so forth.

Learn XHTML... then CSS.... then PHP... Then xml... then javascript.

Feel free to PM me for help.

•••
Your'e best off starting out learning HTML and CSS, and after that learning something like PHP.

http://www.w3schools.com/ is a good resource to learn/look up stuff.

•••
For PHP I'd recommend http://www.tizag.com

Although, I think sometimes Google and Youtube can be you're best friend when it comes to learning a new programming language.

•••
•••
Learn HTML and CSS first. These are pretty simple and easy to learn. They're also a must.

After you get those down and are really comfortable with them, I'd recommend moving on to something such as PHP/MySQL, javascript, and/or jquery.

Check out w3schools HTML and CSS tutorials. That's a good place to get yourself started.

•••
That site was written using Adobe Flash, which is becoming less common than a few years back, avoid it for now.

You should first get a good grasp of HTML, CSS and beginners Javascript. Also, it is essential that you learn some programming basics, which will be mandatory for using Javascript and other languages down the road (you should at least have a good understanding of variables, methods, functions, and boolean statements before attempting any actual programming language, these aren't necessary for HTML and CSS though).

Once you have a good grasp of those, then you will have to decide which language to move onto for actual web programming. Currently PHP, Ruby, Node.js, and Go are the ones getting the most attention (this month anyway :D ).

It is also a good idea to get find a good text editor that you are comfortable working with (I use Sublime Text 2 and love it).

As for using w3schools DO NOT do this, their tutorials often contain misinformation, just plain bad coding advice, and other inaccuracies that could lead to a frustrating learning curve (see w3fools website for an idea of what I'm talking about).

•••
It will use the languages; PHP, HTML, CSS, JQUERY, JAVASCRIPT, and databases.

•••
Not just learn, you need to master HTML, PHP and CSS along with JQUERY and JAVASCRIPT. The effects are punctuated and designed properly because of the high quality images that had been used.

•••
processing :) http://processing.org
It's easy to start with, learn the basics of algorithms. Then you can go onto PHP and other stuff.

Btw you can use the same lang for web/android/pc/linux/mac :) so it is very good lang to start with. And it is simple enough for beginer to learn on.

•••
I'll also recommend you to start with HTML and CSS, and when you feel ready proceed to JS and PHP.
The more tools that you have, the better website's you'll build.

Good luck :gl:

•••
Hi,
What does everyone think would be the best code to learn to make simple, effective websites?

Simple, effective websites? Technically speaking HTML and CSS can achieve this alone, without JavaScript or PHP.

What code would you use to make a site like this: http://wwwaste.fr/ ?

This site was produced using Flash. This is more of a design/animation task than a code task. The coding necessary in this case might be surprisingly less than you'd expect. However, the "Flash website" market is dwindling due to various drawbacks and limitations. With the advent of HTML5 and CSS3 this is even more true. Flash's future as a technology is questionable, and for now it is best to only use it for video/audio delivery. (Even that may soon no longer be the case)

What code would you use to make a site like this:
http://www.pointlesscorp.com/

This website is the culmination of a talented web designer and front-end developer(s). I have no idea about the back-end of these websites, but I suspect you're asking about the front-end quality here. In this case, the front-end developer has creatively utilized HTML/CSS/JS to provide a very nice and simple UI. This will only become more common in the coming years, so don't rely on this alone as a way to stand apart from the crowd.

Joomla sucks. Don't touch that outdated spaghetti code.

No doubt.

Start by learning the basics of php like how to echo a string. Then work up to manipulating variables. Then on to arrays and manipulating arrays... then mysqli commands.... and so on and so forth.

Don't use MySQLi. PDO is a much better solution.

Learn XHTML... then CSS.... then PHP... Then xml... then javascript.

That's a pretty good order to work in, but expect it to take years to get from the beginning to the end if you expect to write high quality code in each language.

Last edited:
•••
HTML feels incredibly intuitive and is really the foundation of a lot that goes on online. My other recommendation would be SQL because it is frequently used in big business to look at a lot of data, the worker making sense of it from the database. It might not seem the best from an online marketing prospective but could very well give you something impressive to add to your resume.

•••
http://codecademy.com/

The basics are the fundamentals so you can't go wrong when you know those.

Checkout the free courses on the link above, its very a nice resource and will help you start coding in minutes.. best of all its very interactive and will guide in every step of the way.

•••
ahstanford is right, PDO is better. But mysqli has an easier learning curve for beginners, imo.

---------- Post added at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

That's a pretty good order to work in, but expect it to take years to get from the beginning to the end if you expect to write high quality code in each language.

Indeed, took me many years. But I had other jobs while I learned and college helped speed it up. But, no major holes in my understanding so time well spent.

•••
Python. HTML is good but it is not a programming language. Pythom has symple syntax and you can quickly get up to speed.

•••
I use css3,html5,jquery,php.
Use php and not asp(Important!)
When I build my own site without any other tools It's feel great^^

•••
If you want to learn things that will give you more flexibility with websites you're developing, then start with HTML and CSS.

PHP and MySQL would be for more elaborate kinds of behavior, which may not be relevant for your projects. They're a bit more abstract as well; so you might not see results for some time or even know what to do with what you're learning. Pick up PHP and MySQL once you know you need them.

You probably don't need Javascript. Learn it once you want to create an effect that people tell you can't be done with CSS alone.

I did the opposite, going from MySQL to PHP to HTML and CSS. But I'm coming from a different background with different objectives.

•••
•••
For a straight website, all you need is HTML. If you want it to look nice you will need CSS. If you want it to do stuff you will need PHP.

I very rarely use JavaScript as it relies on the visitor having it installed.

•••
Old thread but just to throw this in: HTML should be #1. Figure out some CSS, too. Do NOT waste your time with javascript. It's a browser-based entity. Go for PHP if you wanna build dynamic websites (or ASP,, if you must. Chillisoft could help ya)

•••
Learn HTML and CSS first.
Then PHP/MySql.
Then you'll be ready to try and customize some OpenSource CMS around ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back