IT.COM

tips Be careful: Your fixed price Afternic names, might have an automatic min offer in GD auctions!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
I'm not clear about what is exactly causing this but I just spotted:

Untitled.png

For this domain, BIN = min offer = Floor price = $1688.

Yet GD auctions accepts an $1097 min offer... by itself.

And with this, it kills all my impulse buy intent for which I have chosen NOT to accept offers. Needless to say I am quite unhappy about it. (Going to ask my rep about it today).

The discount offered is 35% if you compute it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So You losing offers below this price. That looks bad

•••
So You losing offers below this price. That looks bad
My intention is the opposite here.

I don't want to have a min offer at all. I want the min offer to be equal to BIN price.

But yes if I'd use a min offer, it would be very different from the 35% automatically set by GD auctions.

•••
I mentioned this months ago in afternic thread. Never did get response
Hope thïs helps lol

•••
I mentioned this months ago in afternic thread. Never did get response
Hope thïs helps lol

I've emailed my rep about it, now awaiting response.

Worst case scenario I will choose a min price myself.

But one over another, I'm not happy.

•••
Unfortunately, it is always the case. Earlier, @Joe Styler clarified that it is by design.

Possibly as the result of this, Afternic brokers sometimes contact me with offers on pure BIN domains which are explicitly configured not to receive offers. So I always respond that the price is firm and ask them to stop taking such offers...

Last edited:
•••
Surely you're given the opportunity to accept or decline the offer & it's not just sold out from under you for the discount on your BIN without any say so !?

•••
Surely you're given the opportunity to accept or decline the offer & it's not just sold out from under you for the discount on your BIN without any say so !?

They cannot sell under my BIN price without me accepting that. So there is no such risk. I can say no if an offer comes in.

This is a different issue though.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Someone else posted here they put make offer 70% or some number.
I used to forward some names to Daddy auctions page and if minimum offer is set at $200 like to see that. Not $1132
Cant do that now because improper nameservers get penalized

•••
Someone else posted here they put make offer 70% or some number.
I used to forward some names to Daddy auctions page and if minimum offer is set at $200 like to see that. Not $1132
Cant do that now because improper nameservers get penalized
It's about 65% percent that they use for the make offer setting if there is a fixed BIN amount on Afternic. If your BIN and floor is the same, they can't sell without getting your explicit permission for any offers that come in.

If you want it to be at the minimum offer that you set, such as your example of $200, you'd have to remove your BIN in order for that to happen. You won't have access to Fast Transfer in that case if you're taking offers at your minimum. Becomes a damned if you do, damned if you don't, kind of scenario if you're wanting to take offers or if you want BINs only.

It's pretty much by design on GD's auction platform if it's listed through Afternic. Got covered a few years ago in an old thread.

•••

And with this, it kills all my impulse buy intent for which I have chosen NOT to accept offers. Needless to say I am quite unhappy about it. (Going to ask my rep about it today).

Just trying to understand scenarios under which this happens.
So, you had BIN set in Afternic AND also submitted the name for GD Auction?

•••
Just trying to understand scenarios under which this happens.
So, you had BIN set in Afternic AND also submitted the name for GD Auction?
I'm sure that twiki means that he has the BIN set on Afternic, which automatically sets it up on GD Auctions in this format.

•••
I'm sure that twiki means that he has the BIN set on Afternic, which automatically sets it up on GD Auctions in this format.

IF a name with BIN set on Afternic, is automatically put up on GD Auctions, what rights do they have to set the minimum offer to be lower than the seller's BIN or Floor Price?! Will afternic/GD accept the commission % if we dictate them?!

•••
IF a name with BIN set on Afternic, is automatically put up on GD Auctions, what rights do they have to set the minimum offer to be lower than the seller's BIN or Floor Price?! Will afternic/GD accept the commission % if we dictate them?!
Think of it like this. If someone comes in and makes the min. offer like the one provided above and it's the buyer's final offer...if the offer is above the floor price, done deal.

If it's not above the floor price, then they get the opportunity to reach out to the seller to say, "Hey, we found a buyer that made this offer. You could sell it now and make money. Should we do it?" They're hoping that you'll say yes, make money, and keep it moving. It's by design.

They cannot sell below your floor without your express permission.

•••
It's not a new thing, simply don't accept any offers below your BIN.

However there is one thing you should do: always make sure to active the Afternic Fast Transfer network.

Why? Because without Fast Transfer if someone is searching for your domain on godaddy.com, they will be redirected to the GoDaddy Auctions page where the lower make offer option will be displayed, as you noticed.

But when you active the Fast Transfer, if someone is searching for your domain on godaddy.com, there will be a "buy it now" button without redirection to the GoDaddy Auctions page. And in this case (when Afternic Fast Transfer is enabled) the lower make offer option won't be visible, only the buy it now price will be displayed.

The lower make offer option will still be displayed, but only on GoDaddy Auctions. However one must visit auctions.godaddy.com and search for your domain there, not on godaddy.com in this case.

TL;DR: just always activate Afternic Fast Transfer and move on, you can't change it.

Last edited:
•••
They cannot sell below your floor without your express permission.

As long as the seller's permission is sought, that should be fine for a sale.

But, in parallel to the automated and unwarranted GD Auction, the seller might be negotiating to sell beyond the Min Offer price which is in set in GD Auction. And that could cause damage to high value names, as the buyer would ASSUME that it was the seller who has set a 'low make offer' tag in GD auction, and negotiate for low price, causing awkward moment for the seller.

•••
To make things more clear:

- Around 98% of my buyers purchase at BIN
- The few negotiated sales I have come primarily via Whois / external brokers, not via Afternic
- Therefore it makes no sense for me to use min offer on Afternic.
- I only list via Afternic, and the listings get syndicated on GD Auctions as well. (for clarity)
- I have determined via long time testing that fixed price makes best sense in my case.
- Also my pricing is usually a bit lower than other domainers around here, you can say I'm a discount domainer. I usually sell around 60% of the let's call it "going around price". The price most other domainers here would use for the same name.
- This also makes my strategy perfect for fixed price, BIN. No min offer, no floor. Just buy it now, or leave. No discussion.
- Note, GD auctions provide most of my sales (note: might be different in your case; don't take this info for granted; but for me it is the primary source). I know this due to testing and also due to sales info from my Afternic rep.

Due to this, with fixed price, the buyer is only left with two choices - buy now and walk away.

You might think this might hinder my sales? On the contrary.

Time and time again it has been proven to me that it's the best strategy in my case (note; see above details as well as your case might be different). I make most money by not offering a make offer - at all.

This does not prevent some users to call in via the lander number and make an offer via the broker which will be relayed to me. I actually like these offers. But these are a minority, people who would still try to negotiate.

Otherwise, having only BIN makes the impulse buy work very well in my case, which means most profit.

I am now forced to use a min offer to actually disable the min offer that GD provides so I might use a 90% min offer for my names further. Going to test it next.

Last edited:
•••
I am now forced to use a min offer to actually disable the min offer that GD provides so I might use a 90% min offer for my names further. Going to test it next.
Hi @twiki

GoDaddy Auctions will probably disregard any minimum set by you through Afternic (also the 90% minimum), and still list it for Make Offer starting 65% of BIN.

Last edited:
•••
It's not a new thing, simply don't accept any offers below your BIN.

However there is one thing you should do: always make sure to active the Afternic Fast Transfer network.

Why? Because without Fast Transfer if someone is searching for your domain on godaddy.com, they will be redirected to the GoDaddy Auctions page where the lower make offer option will be displayed, as you noticed.

But when you active the Fast Transfer, if someone is searching for your domain on godaddy.com, there will be a "buy it now" button without redirection to the GoDaddy Auctions page. And in this case (when Afternic Fast Transfer is enabled) the lower make offer option won't be visible, only the buy it now price will be displayed.

The lower make offer option will still be displayed, but only on GoDaddy Auctions. However one must visit auctions.godaddy.com and search for your domain there, not on godaddy.com in this case.

TL;DR: just always activate Afternic Fast Transfer and move on, you can't change it.
This is why I have it turned off. I have my own specific reasons for that. I operate in ranges though since I don't know who the buyer would be, so I shoot high, but I have a realistic price for the floor and if they didn't hit the floor, I have a reserve range in mind period if a broker came to me with a lower than floor number.

If you're a BIN only kind of person, then absolutely have AFT on to skip the whole thing with GD Auctions.

I don't think that's possible since it's inherently in the design for Afternic to set a min offer at 65% on GD Auctions. Most likely, if you take it off of Afternic and set it up on GD Auctions yourself, then you'll be able to do that.

•••
This is why I have it turned off. I have my own specific reasons for that. I operate in ranges though since I don't know who the buyer would be, so I shoot high, but I have a realistic price for the floor and if they didn't hit the floor, I have a reserve range in mind period if a broker came to me with a lower than floor number.

If you're a BIN only kind of person, then absolutely have AFT on to skip the whole thing with GD Auctions.

I don't think that's possible since it's inherently in the design for Afternic to set a min offer at 65% on GD Auctions. Most likely, if you take it off of Afternic and set it up on GD Auctions yourself, then you'll be able to do that.

.... Great

Funny thing? My rep in the UK only sees the BIN price. The make offer field contains the same price.

Baffling.

•••
.... Great

Funny thing? My rep in the UK only sees the BIN price. The make offer field contains the same price.

Baffling.
Strange....I wonder why is that? Either case, if it works for that one, maybe it's working for your other names?

•••

Show attachment 231646

I asked Afternic support in the past about that and they told me that Afternic is make offer platform, and I have to live with that!

The point for me is that BIN + make offer is the worst setup for selling domains.

•••
I feel like it's been this way for a while now. Same thing if a name isn't eligible for DLS.
Instead of a BIN link it shows a Get It Now link which brings you to the auction page with a set min offer.

•••
As an overall perspective here, are you saying that any domain listed on Afternic AUTOMATICALLY gets listed on GoDaddy Auctions? Whether you want it or not?

This is incredible to me. Did any of you listing with Afternic explicitly agree to the GoDaddy Auction terms and conditions?

There were limitations before on GoDaddy Auctions that appeared different compared to Afternic's terms. As an example in the past, GoDaddy auctions had a curious limitation of not permitting listings if the domain was expiring within 90 days. For Afternic Fast Transfer, the domain had to be at least 30 days out from expiration.

When I signed on to Afternic, I had absolutely no indication presented to me, to my knowledge, that I was also explicitly agreeing to listing on GoDaddy Auctions. Is this now also the case for DAN listings? If so, that's a real dealbreaker to me.

Thanks for bringing this matter to our attention. Is unusual pricing is being added to the GD auction listings, without explicit consent? Perhaps customers deserve a more transparent presentation of terms and conditions by Afternic and GoDaddy before they sign on?

Last edited:
•••
Back