IT.COM

MAJOR glitch on GD -- be careful guys! This results in missing domains!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
WARNING! if you transfered expired domains to gd, they may be missing from your gd account!!!

if you sometimes/often/usually transfer EXPIRED domains .. to godaddy.. you better check your account as there is strong possibility they were removed from your gd account and you did not even know about it!

this is exactly what happened to me on 2 domains today..

what happened was:

I transfered a few domains from another registrar around day 25-30 past their expiry.. to godaddy...

I expediated transfer via doster email.

then I got a confirmation email from godaddy within 24 hours that the domains were successfully transfered to my godaddy account. and they were there sitting pretty and all.

then 2 days later (today).. I get an email from godaddy saying those domains were cancelled and removed from my account... because there was a winning bid on expired auction on them.

obviously this is not how its supposed to go. else I'd have just renewed them where they were or transfered elsewhere than godaddy.

the worst thing is.. this is so unexpected behaviour (let's just call it a bug that needs fixing for now) that most people do not even think twice it would happen.. which in turn means that no one even bothers to check for such possibility .. and it is by pure chance I actually read a cancellation email from godaddy today.. of which I get plenty for each domain I do not renew there etc.. and then I noticed that it atually talked about a domain I just transfered and paid for transfer to godaddy 2 days ago!!! lo behold! it was removed from my gd account!

now I have a bunch of other domains I transfered to godaddy.. also succesasfully completed transfer and now sitting in my gd account.. but they are still in gd expired auctions.. what a mess!!!! now I have to keep track of which domains will be disappearing from my gd account whenever there are winning bids on auctions!!!

now I know not all people transfer domains after they expire.. maybe most do not do it even.. but we also all know that I am not the only gd client who does do it.. so if you fit the profile and transfer expired domains to gd ... I would run a serious check on what got taken out of your gd account!!!

just imagine that the only way to find that out for me was to read the actual cancellation email from gd.. unless I'm the only domainer who does not read them throughly... cause to me they are all just supposed to be confirmations of cancelled domains due to non renewal.

please be sure to contact gd to get yoru domains back if this happened to you!!!

I have no way to know how far back this glitch goes.. but I asked them to run a complete history check on all expired domains transfers I ever did to them, and tell me which ones were removed from my account after I paid to transfer them and got successful transfer confrimation emails from gd. i hope this thing does not go years back!!!!

@Joe Styler

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You cannot transfer expired domains at Dynadot. You must renew them first. But if you transfer them after renewal, there is a good chance you won't get a second year added to the expiry date.
This is not true (reply to your first 2 sentences). -
You càn transfer expired domains out of Dynadot, once expired, but you have first to send an email to ask to put the domains in a transferrable state (so : possibility to unlock, and get transfercode without being obliged to renew them). (in the past this only counted for GTLDS and not for CC-TLDS * see below also.) .
If this only counts until the 29th date after expiration I don't reallly know 100% for sure (because DDot began last year to protect bidders on domains, and you have to pay +10$ "late renewalfee" above the normal renewalpricing to renew from the 30th until the 39th or 40 th day after expiration)

NOTE : I discoverred recently at expired domains an unlock after expirybutton for the expired domains, but I don't know what really happens if you do that that way. (it came with the new layout and and at some names it says also it could take 5 days after asking for unlock via that button that your expired domains reallly are unlocked if you use that butoon. But that's something new I still have to phone Dynadot about.

* => There's a possibility for some CCTLD's like .co or .tv or .ws that Google accepts as also being used as GTLD's, you can discuss with DDOT about, if these kind of domains will be able to be transferred out after epirydate also (apart from the normal nearly certain approval with GTLD-requests you do) , because of their "general use". But do know that you best call about that to be sure, but only call if you would get a negative answer at your emailrequest for .CO .TV or .WS domains. Do send a PM to me if you get negative answers on these three extentions. (sometimes I got negative and sometime positive answers, I would like DDOT, cetainly for these 3 always approve a request to put in a transferrable state if these are expired.
* (note : .xyz, .top etc... are also considerred as GTLDS's, so you should get a positive answer with a lot of the new TLD's).

Last edited:
•••
@Domainstore - Appreciate you detailed reply. Tnx. Actually I never actually used it because I'm happy with the services Dynadot offer ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back