Domain Empire

Auction question and poll

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Does it matter to you to know if a domain is expired or private seller

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes I want to know

votes
    69.2%
  • No I don't care

votes
    30.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Had a discussion today about NameJet and the fact that private sellers show pre release just like expired auctions.

Does it matter to you to know if its an expired domain or private seller ?

Some I have spoke with think it should say private seller wanting more transparency,especially if those names are being recommended places, others think it does not matter.

One person commented:
i get sick of seeing namejet reserve on domains that i get all excited about dropping. i don't even bother bidding if there's a namejet reserve or it's a private sale, because the seller probably wants too much money. usually they end up dropping a few years later. intermingling private sales into dropping is sketchy in my mind and namejet should stop it, but they probably do it on purpose to get more attention to them.

What do you think ?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Agreed 100%.

In the beginning I was all eagerness about the drop lists, thinking that all domains listed to drop were actually going to expire (go figure...). Then I discovered that many of them were so-called "pre-releases" by private sellers who were just testing the bidding waters, using the drop lists as a means of putting their domains up for aution.

Such domains should definately be marked differently; these sellers are just timewasters. If they want to put their domain up for auction, put it up for auction through normal means like the rest of us :imho:

•••
I would prefer it was clear, if it is a private sale. But you usually can tell that from the price. Not always, but usually.

•••

Always do a search on Whois before bidding on a Namejet pre-release; if it's not an expired domain, then it's a private sale.

I think that the pre-release designation is there to deceive potential bidders. Period. So it's doubtful that Namejet will change it, UNLESS people refuse to bid on these auctions. As long as everyone follows them like sheep, then it will be business as usual.

From day one, I have been suspicious of Namejet. I don't trust them. I have bought very few domains from them and have refrained from placing bids on "on-the-fence" domains. After one stupid mistake, I bid only the the minumum and only when there are a lot of bidders (mostly to watch).

I don't like "private" sales at Namejet--too much opportunity for shill bidding.

What's to stop a seller from calling up a buddy or two across the country to pump up bids? Very difficult to catch, I'm afraid.

Many people are honest, but some are not and will do anything for the almighty buck, euro, etc.

Love everyone, but trust no one.

In the case of Namejet, always keep one eye open.

•••
I think your reply is what a lot of people think Jennifer.

•••
I think your reply is what a lot of people think Jennifer.

I agree, but what do you think, eq?

I dont do biz with these guys, from what I've seen and heard, their history shows them to be shady at best, and possibly criminal at worst.

As always, jmo.

Peace,
Cy

•••
NJ is an offshot of Enom and Netsol so it must be the best of both worlds :laugh:

•••
NJ is an offshot of Enom and Netsol so it must be the best of both worlds :laugh:

Where the big boys play, and they play to win. ;)

btw, I picked "dont care" on the poll, cuz it doesnt matter what I think is right, it is what it is.

Peace,
Cy

•••
Look there have been many good points about why its not cool. Jennifer makes the best point that shill bids become easy. Are they happening ? The answer is that no one knows.

•••
Where the big boys play, and they play to win. ;)

btw, I picked "dont care" on the poll, cuz it doesnt matter what I think is right, it is what it is.

Peace,
Cy

If "the big boys" play dirty and get caught, they could get smacked down big time.

BTW, where is halvarez today?

•••
On a beach somewhere sipping pina coladas without a care in the world spending all that ill-gotten wealth. Like most of these crooks. Why was he never prosecuted to the full extent of the law?

•••
On a beach somewhere sipping pina coladas without a care in the world spending all that ill-gotten wealth. Like most of these crooks. Why was he never prosecuted to the full extent of the law?
Like the cat from, (dare I even say it?), RegFly, and the dudes from the Neteller fiasco.
I took a pretty good beating from both of those crews.

Behind the scenes, is a whole different world.
It's all about who has the power in this business. Just like in any other trade, there are puppeteers, and there are puppets.
We're just jealous cuz we aint pullin the strings. :notme:

Figuring out the rules is the most important part.
What ext or niche is being promoted when, and by whom.
Are some reported sales real, or just big shooter d2d to jump up the prices.

Who knows?
(The shadow knows)

If anyone figures it out, please PM me the details.

Peace,
Cy

•••
•••
Somebody needs to sue for that to happen.

Civil yes. Not Criminal.

Question is what criminal prosecution was available? Probably not a lot once Oversee cleaned up after itself. They settled with Hank, and most domainers settled with Oversee (via Class Action)... for the rest I'm sure the statute of limitations is up.

In the UK there is "Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations" but that is limited scope (2 years max and fine) and in this case the defendent would be SnapNames vs the Individual I think.

Last edited:
•••
@DU: the stakes are probably not worth suing.

Back to topic: in fairness to NJ, I guess their platform was not originally designed for auctioning domains from different sources. Now I can see they have little interest in making things more transparent. Gotta keep the sharks excited :) It's irritating bidding against that dummy Namejet reserve user.

Snapnames does better in this regard.
Ultimately what matters is the quality of the domain and whether it's priced right.
Whenever there is competition, the price can go up to the point of end user price. Fine if you will be the end user, bad news if you're looking to resell for a profit.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back