IT.COM

Asking buyer's purpose

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
Is it a good idea to ask, what do you plan to do with it?

What would be a typical reaction?

A naive buyer may think: what nice person.
Others may think: what a scammer.
Why ask:

Buyer may be willing to pay 10K, but you may be happy with 200, and if there are no other buyers it
makes sense to sell for 200.
I think having a friend at NSA would be extremely helpful.
I sold a .info for low 3 figures, because although the keyword was good, most extensions were for sale and didn't have real web site, and renewing for 15 years was enough. But same keyword in .tech extension sold for 10K. .tech is much weaker than .info. So, maybe knowing all of the top potential buyers might be very helpful.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Does it really matter that much?

•••
Interesting Question, when you think about it

Can't see most buyers willing to discuss their plans. Lets face-it, most buyers tend to prefer being anonymous even in the negotiation stage. The exceptions are going to be in the low-value domains where it genuinely is going to be used for a personal project or low-financed idea.

I must admit though I've never asked the Question, it does raise some interesting thoughts. It could raise a bit of a conundrum for the buyer.

Does he lie ??
Does he risk loosing the Purchase at a good price ? By answering "None of your damn business"
Does he just ignore the question and face a possible high price? because he ignored.

I might even try asking - On the next approach. I think you would have to play the dumb domainer to get away with it

Last edited:
•••
If buyer can't meet a high asking price but still wants the domain, then lease or equity deals can be explored by asking this question. I wouldn't ask out the gate. Someone wants a price on one of my names, I'll price it no questions asked.

•••
The question could be carefully couched in a way that you might have something else in your inventory which might be (more) suitable for their needs. But I would say this should NOT be asked before at least until you have seen how wide apart on price you are. If the sale is really dragging it might just be better to let them see what inventory you have by posting a link to your website. (You do have a website?)

•••
A multinational company's Rep claiming to be a student working on a "small budget/project" will definitely have more lies to tell.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back