NameSilo

.us Ask.us

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Sold at Sedo for just over $6k with AskJeeves reverting to Ask it seems like a great bargain. JMO

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Grrilla said:
You must be tight w/ diller, considering the god-like qualities that you have imbued him with. If Barry says so, we better all do what Barry says.

i was just trying to point, 2 those of u who are bewildered that diller doesn't own ask-us, the fact that he doesn't care much about .us domains just like the rest of the world doesn't, and that this fact shouldn't be a big surprise. instead of talking about that ur dismissing my opinion by painting me as some idol worshiper.

my point: big corporate internet world cares less about .us ext.
your point: i must've liked that 'brokeback mountain' movie.

in fact if u formulated your last comment a bit different u would have been much closer 2 the truth. diller does what 'we' do, not the other way around. america is a conservative country. it does .com. years of branding, popular recognition and tons of money invested in .com r not that easily challenged. in the land of dot com corp culture every big company worth its salt has 2 have .com. everything else is second rate, unworthy of 'corp big leagues'. .us is a minor league, farm team, freak show. even the damn domain name company sedo had 2 buy .com in the end. it's obvious man, it doesn't take me 2 tell u this. it's not a 'gospel', it's a fact.

Grrilla said:
I was reacting to you trying to shove your dogma down everyones throat, something that people who are prone to dogma and think they know all of the answers tend to do.

i explained what i did. again u r freely interpreting the intentions behind my words 2 suit your personal attacks on me. and judging by the 'tone of your voice' its obvious that in fact ur the one who thinks u've got all the answers.

Grrilla said:
I tend to look at both sides of an issue in a balanced way, state my opinion, and I do not prostyletize like dogmatic individuals do.

yes of course, this approach is very obvious from your answers to me.

Grrilla said:
Doesn't that make it obvious that they should clear out there Ad/marketin dept and fire their ad agency?

of course, not only them but everyone else. all of big corp. america should go on one big firing spree.

Grrilla said:
Car companies are, almost as conservative as .commers. and equally delusional.

listen to your dogma.

Grrilla said:
Nothing wrong with them being that way- they'll catch up when they see the light. IMO

wow what a big bold unquestionable statement u just made >'they'll catch up when they see the light'< not surprisingly "Spoken like an individual who, (believes he), has more prescience than the rest of us, mere, mortals."

Grrilla said:
You call it a gimmick, I call it a hook.

who else did use your 'hook' so far? tell me is there anyone in corp. america who implemented your 'hook'?

fly.us?
love.us?
defend.us?
workin.us?
visit.us?
see.us?
cherish.us?
f*ck.us?
etc.

some years ago i worked in one of the biggest ad agencies in the country. i still vividly remember the mantra which was fed 2 us from day one. no puns, and no obvious (no obvious unless the target audience are seniors or rednex) using domain extension in the manner you propose would surely be interpreted (there) as 'high school' stuff. it wouldn't even fly beyond the 2-minute discussion @ basic-level meeting, let alone else. serious companies simply don't build brands on such stuff.

Grrilla said:
.commers who are under the illusion that they are standing above it all are the one's who have nothing to offer to anyone. Your posts in this thread have exhibited this, quite well.

again vendetta attacks against all .commers spoken in a way that smacks of judgemental righteousness.

Grrilla said:
Hey, I have nothing against you stating our opinions.

that's very obvious isn't it.

Grrilla said:
But don't try to shove them on me as gospel, and if all you are interested in is headbutting, let the games begin. I'll show you a wall that you can butt your head into all day long while you obsess on proving, to yourself, how smart you are.

actually have u had time 2 look into the mirror and check your replies to me?? if u did u would have noticed that this last quote could just as well be applied 2u. in fact it seems like u r projecting what u r doing with your replies, onto me. imo this is a well used tactic by larger-than-though feel like bullies. i just made a passing comment, and now you shove your 'well balanced opinion' down my throat as a gospel obsessed on proving how smart u r?

if there's anything i'm not fond of greatly is precisely these self-proclaimed 'united nations'-like 'well balanced opinions' backed up not by data and facts, but by personal attacks fortified with the power of editorial eraser.

ok man, u win.

- big corporate america loves .us extension
- 98% of reported 'notable' .us aftermarket sales r not conducted between the two .us speculators
- .commers are delusional since they haven't got pair of eyes nor years of hard speculating experience under their belt

:D

Last edited:
•••
Producer,

Your tone and replies towards Grrilla, and towards the topic in general, are very negative, and in my opinion mean spirited. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder.

Not to mention, much of what you say is wildly exaggerated, or just plain wrong.

By the way, please remove the pricing from your signature. It's against forum rules. Thanks.

•••
producer said:
i - big corporate america loves .us extension
- 98% of reported 'notable' .us aftermarket sales r not conducted between the two .us speculators
- .commers are delusional since they haven't got pair of eyes nor years of hard speculating experience under their belt

W OW long post :sold:

coporate America doesn;t care too much about these .com's

.com names point to .us sites

www.konica.com points to www.konicaminolta.US

www.delicious.com points to www.del.icio.US

www.eagle-county.com points to www.eaglecounty.US

i could go on and on but this must be what upsets you most Coporate America
learning about different extensions and marketing thru the extensions :hi:

•••
6k sounds very high for the name especially considering the potential for a dispute. Hard to see this getting interest other than from ask jeeves, it would be like owning amazon.us. The name will always be linked with one company in the mind of buyers.

•••
snoop said:
6k sounds very high for the name especially considering the potential for a dispute. Hard to see this getting interest other than from ask jeeves, it would be like owning amazon.us. The name will always be linked with one company in the mind of buyers.

tend to agree in part ,never expected on the dropping of jeeves,,i just liked the name and has so many potentials where us is also a word in ask us..

its unlike amazon in that amazon made the brand word amazon,,here theres millions and close two 2 billion search results in google containing word ask.

but ask is just a Generic word and isn;t associated yet with just one company although with there ad budget im sure thats the plan,,,,

still surprising they didn;t want it they took askjeeves.US during sunrise and it points to the main site www.AskJeeves.US

Last edited:
•••
They have .co.uk, why wouldnt they want .us?

•••
This is a discussion thread about the sale of Ask.Us. on Sedo. The party who purchased the domain is an NP member and it was our good fortune that he was willing to openly share w/ us some of the details regarding the transaction, what motivated the purchase and some projections about the future of the domain. In addition, the discussion provided an ideal platform for zousas to showcase his new website. This was an informative, interesting and fruitful discussion based on a real world example. Case studies that are topical, fairly high profile and that unfold in real time don't come along very often and when they do, I seize the oppurtunity to tune in and, sometimes, I'll share and idea and an opinion or two.

Edited out-> almost fell into the trap, again.

Geez. Foiled again. Just as I'm thinking to myself, "great thread", along comes this guy's show stopper:
zouzas plz explain why will they be 'crying over this blunder'?? is that serious statement or an offhand joke?

barry diller is a serious big money dot com guy. he already has expedia.com, ticketmaster.com and ask.com so why would he care about ask us? he isn't about to switch it to highschool novelty names like del.icio.us

.us is extension for small business, and late to the .com party domainers. and as long as com is around, and image is everything, it will never be widely accepted by big money corporate america.

The ideas are nothing novel or, particularly, noteworthy and there is nothing inherrantly wrong w/ any of the ideas that are being expressed- other members have have these or similar opinions. The problem here, which is fairly easy to see, is a matter of attitude- the style and tone of the comments relative to the nature of the thread that they were interjected into. One does not use this phrasing style or make word choices like this, unless 1) They wish to initiate a sparring match 2) They are mentally and emotionally challenged and need help.

Members who are prone to 1) should be avoided, as much as possible, and if the condition is chronic, they, sometimes, are asked to not be here anymore. As for 2) NP doesn't offer this type of service although, I am sure someone might be able to offer help w/ a referral.

Last edited:
•••
wot said:
Sold at Sedo for just over $6k with AskJeeves reverting to Ask it seems like a great bargain. JMO

:hi:

thanks grrilla

maybe time to get back to orginal post :sold:

time will tell wheather its cheap or i bought a suit with it :hehe:

the way its setup now is very different then askjeeves so there's no confusingly similar issues,, assuming there TM application gets accepted as is..

•••
thanks grrilla
You're welcome and forgive me for any fuel that I may have laid on the fire.
maybe time to get back to orginal post
-Originally Posted by wot- <- wot strikes again! (just kidding, wot);)

time will tell wheather its cheap or i bought a suit with it
I certainly, hope that this works out for you. I almost feel like I have a vested interest in your domain considering the amt of time I've invested in the topic.

the way its setup now is very different then askjeeves so there's no confusingly similar issues,, assuming there TM application gets accepted as is..
It would not be a good idea to use a little butler standing w/ a serving tray as the site logo :hehe: All joking aside, your site is not doing anything that would be considered even. remotely, confusing to a visitor, IMO.

Last edited:
•••
producer said:
in fact if u formulated your last comment a bit different u would have been much closer 2 the truth. diller does what 'we' do, not the other way around. america is a conservative country. it does .com. years of branding, popular recognition and tons of money invested in .com r not that easily challenged. in the land of dot com corp culture every big company worth its salt has 2 have .com. everything else is second rate, unworthy of 'corp big leagues'. .us is a minor league, farm team, freak show. even the damn domain name company sedo had 2 buy .com in the end. it's obvious man, it doesn't take me 2 tell u this. it's not a 'gospel', it's a fact.

Great thoughts Producer im glad your here.{ i have always liked alittle hot peppers in my food and this brings life to the forum and i appreciate your courage}. you add much pertinent questions to this topic and so true .us is a minor league though you have to admit it can only grow and the potential is unborn and so new to the territory of the internet like a baby seed just waiting to grow into a strong tree....
I love to vote for the under dog and hope its triumphant with victory,, dot com is already on top and as you know everything changes with time... its an internal law of this world.
First we had am radio back in the 60s right and no one thought fm radio would rise to be king...... now xm internet radio is here now that would be a "freak show" back in the sixties......
what is strange and out of the ordinary could change very soon to be the ordinary,
its possible to start to unbalance the scale around .com in america towards .us ... People love things that are new and different right....especially technology which is a great brother of the internet.
We are on a verge but probobly best that we dont know about this ....

Last edited:
•••
I would have to agree that this domain would not be a very big deal for ask jeeves to own, I think they'd want it is in terms of legals but I don't think interest would go beyond that. The difference between .co.uk and .us is that they would likely see traffic loss if they were in the UK market without it and would likely want it for branding purposes, people would to some degree expect a .co.uk in the UK, .us is entirely different since it is not widely used in the US.

•••
snoop said:
I would have to agree that this domain would not be a very big deal for ask jeeves to own, I think they'd want it is in terms of legals but I don't think interest would go beyond that. The difference between .co.uk and .us is that they would likely see traffic loss if they were in the UK market without it and would likely want it for branding purposes, people would to some degree expect a .co.uk in the UK, .us is entirely different since it is not widely used in the US.
I agree with you. I can't speak for others but I assumed that zouzas little quip was a joke and never took it at face value. It's more than a stretch to actually believe that Barry Diller, his staff or the AskJeeves folks would be sitting around a boardroom table, crying over a domain name that they had overlooked registering. They have bigger fish to fry and I never assumed otherwise.

My opinion is that the name doesn't need to rely on, be associated w/ or have a any connection, whtsoever, w/ ask.com/AskJeeves- it has enough leg to stand on it's own and any improvement in the visibility and use of .us in the United States will only increase it's value. I think it's better to focus on the attributes of the domain, itself, capitalize on the domain's strengths and not get too hung up about what the neighbors are doing or what they are thinking about. zouzas has mentioned "law suit" a couple of times, but, apparently, he didn't dwell on it or get get bogged down w/ any potential probs, judging by how quickly he flipped it around into a website. I don't know how much of his "concern" is actual and how much is feigned- but, for some reason I picture him having a good chuckle over the whole affair, more than anything else. :)

PS I think it would be a crime for one company to lock up the use of an internet address w/ a word as generic as, "ask", but money wields influence and it would not be unprecedented if it went down that way.

Last edited:
•••
ok,ok jeeves :'( over it was a joke you got me...

but they pointed www.askjeeves.US to ask.com they must have needed the traffic :sold:

they certainly don;t need ask.us for there search they dont own ask.net either,,,they would only want it if either they do plan on making the word ASK there;s or the risk of potential of some other big company making
ask.us a brand,as in ask us ,,,,,

•••
harpo said:
{ i have always liked alittle hot peppers in my food

me 2. :D

harpo said:
and this brings life to the forum and i appreciate your courage}. you add much pertinent questions to this topic and so true .us is a minor league though you have to admit it can only grow and the potential is unborn and so new to the territory of the internet like a baby seed just waiting to grow into a strong tree.... I love to vote for the under dog and hope its triumphant with victory,, dot com is already on top and as you know everything changes with time... its an internal law of this world.
First we had am radio back in the 60s right and no one thought fm radio would rise to be king...... now xm internet radio is here now that would be a "freak show" back in the sixties......
what is strange and out of the ordinary could change very soon to be the ordinary,
its possible to start to unbalance the scale around .com in america towards .us ...

harpo said:
People love things that are new and different right....especially technology which is a great brother of the internet.

ppl (whatever that means) r also creatures of habit especially if the mainstream america reinforces that particular habit all the time. in fact u brought up a crucial point,,, with the technology changes being implemented so fast and the complete media landscape seemingly in dissaray today, objectively speaking, it is hard to imagine that 'america' will have patience or utter care to wait 4 something so insignificant as 'maturing of an ugly cousin' is. my point is that the internet landscape will probably change itself faster (with the introduction of even more alternative tld's dot.yourcity or dot.yourlocalcounty.. or more significantly with the emergence of alternative browsing ways/destination reachings etc.) then it will change american habits @ the present time. in other words, (even if and) by the time 'mainstream america' is ready 2 change her attitude towards something as mundane as (the matter of) .us extension is, the internet media landscape will probably be significantly different in some ways (from what it is now) that the .us extension will simply not matter that much, or will be irrelevant, or at best will be only relevant in ways that the next offering awashed in sea of many other offerings is.

•••

www.ask.us

just updated with search box now its really Ask The United states :sold:

jeeves will be green with envy :)
>>
>
>
>
>
>

ok the envy parts a joke :hi:

•••
zouzas said:

www.ask.us

just updated with search box now its really Ask The United states :sold:

jeeves will be green with envy :)
>>
>
>
>
>
>

ok the envy parts a joke :hi:
That is a kick a$$ idea. :sold:

•••
producer said:
ppl (whatever that means) r also creatures of habit especially if the mainstream america reinforces that particular habit all the time. in fact u brought up a crucial point,,, with the technology changes being implemented so fast and the complete media landscape seemingly in dissaray today, objectively speaking, it is hard to imagine that 'america' will have patience or utter care to wait 4 something so insignificant as 'maturing of an ugly cousin' is. my point is that the internet landscape will probably change itself faster (with the introduction of even more alternative tld's dot.yourcity or dot.yourlocalcounty.. or more significantly with the emergence of alternative browsing ways/destination reachings etc.) then it will change american habits @ the present time. in other words, (even if and) by the time 'mainstream america' is ready 2 change her attitude towards something as mundane as (the matter of) .us extension is, the internet media landscape will probably be significantly different in some ways (from what it is now) that the .us extension will simply not matter that much, or will be irrelevant, or at best will be only relevant in ways that the next offering awashed in sea of many other offerings is.

Opinions vary about dot us and its current or future use. Here is a pdf of the last contract modification signed by Neustar with the NTIA in Oct 05. Page 3 shows that the Department of Commerce is taking steps to make the dot us name space more visible and more useful to the American public through a search engine for dot us (June 06), the build-out with partners of some domains reserved for public use (May 06) , and a platform for secure e-gov services through dot us.
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/usca/usamend0015_10122005.pdf

•••
ok the envy parts a joke
Thank you for the addendum, zouzas.. I don't think I could have taken another round w/ producer. :lol: Hey, producer. Even though we don't see eye to eye on some of the issues being discussed here and despite a fair amount of posturing, (on both sides, IMO), after all is said and done, I'm fairly certain that I understand where you're coming from and I do respect your opinions and the opinions of other's that I don't necesarrily, always, agree with. When making projections about what might be, the best that any of us can do is draw on our own, unique set of experiences and apply our reasoning to what is front of us, to the best of our ability. I accept the fact that there are a variety of crystal balls in the world and would be lying to you if I said that the one that I have chosen always comes up w/ the correct answer.

And, BTW, if I am reading your profile correctly, we may share more in common than we realize. I'm a native of, and spent most of my life in the City of Angels. Just moved from Topanga Cyn to SLO a bit over a year ago.

Last edited:
•••
We are moving into aries mid March where the fire war planet comes very close to our earth....
its gonna be wild and and HOT get ready for alot of heated emotional anger mad debates coming to namepros for Mars influence will have us all up in arms and on the defence.

by the way Grrilla did you sell Qai.info and for how much??????

•••
harpo said:
by the way Grrilla did you sell Qai.info and for how much??????
Yes. I'll reveal the details when the money is in the bank. but, I can tell you this much- the sale was the result of a happy coincidence and had no connection w/ the Bazaar auction. With the rough run of luck I've had w/ deals falling through, of late, I think I was due one. Keep it going Mars!

•••
Fundraiser said:
Department of Commerce............search engine for dot us

Now that sounds like an instant flop,

Bob: Hi Jane, what search engine to do you use?, google, yahoo?
Jane: No Bob, I use the dot us search engine, developed by the United States Department of Commerce.

•••
snoop said:
Jane: No Bob, I use the dot us search engine, developed by the United States Department of Commerce.
Hahaha... Ok, I admit that sounds funny. :laugh:

But it's missing the bigger point, and you better get of this thread you COMmie.

:]

•••
•••
•••
snoop said:
Now that sounds like an instant flop,

I'm realizing and becoming more acceptant of the fact that some people take a contrarian approach to posting in a forum. As harpo pointed out, earlier, (in this thread, I believe), having some red hot pepper in the mix is good for everyone- it keeps discussions honest and helps maintain the dynamic flow of ideas by preventing the inertia that results from one sided arguments spawned by a herd mentality.

At the same time, (although not required or necessary,) every so often, it would love to see some of members who tend towards the contrarian approach, open up a bit, share their model for success, experience and advice in a positive way eg. in the form of *what works and why*, rather than in the context of disagreeing w/ the suggestions and POV's of others and pointing out what doesn't work for them.

I can see where, for some, it might be difficult to put their own thesis out there. There is a degree of vulnerability attached when the source of thoughts and ideas that are being scrutinized emanate from oneself and there are varying degrees of tolerance to criticism.

Anyways, this, "yet, another side-topic", to the Ask.Us came to my mind. Although snoop's post inspired me to post, my thoughts may not apply to you, snoop- I don't know, I haven't read all of your posts. But, if you've started a thread in which you've put forth your model for success, (or a portion there of), I'm very curious about understanding your approach to domain name marketing and what you have to say outside of the framework of a debate or a disagreement. (This is coming, totally, out of the spirit of curiousity- no hidden agenda.)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back