NameSilo

.us Ask.us

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Sold at Sedo for just over $6k with AskJeeves reverting to Ask it seems like a great bargain. JMO

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
fonzie_007 said:
You certainly got the website up and running quickly.

yes an inspiration to us all ,

realstate agent or a laywer turned .us domain website entrepeneur
someone who really gets the ball rolling, congrats to manifesting your ideas
so quickly if i could put in 10% of the dedication he has to building a domain
empire i would be happy my gears shall be changing to developing abit too.......
lots to learn is there enough time in the universe???

Last edited:
•••
Great name , great buy. This is what I would like opinion son especially from Zousas and db and other big .us holders. Do you think the market will develop for two word.us domains and the like sure a generic like Football or LLL but do you think there will be demand for two or even three word .us domains kind of like how Fabulous regged most of the three and four word phrases in .com that were high overture. Thank you

•••
They knew they were going to swtch from AskJeeves sometime ago, many country AskJeeves available. Complete incompetence on their part not to have secured all "Ask" names that they could prior to going for the tm JMO
I was thinking about the same thing earlier today. My first thought was that it may have been another case of a company being too cheap to shell out for a domain name's asking price. Surely, they would have known about and made an inquiry and an offer, right? But w/ Barry Diller involved, I don't think that would be the case. He and his chronies are accustomed to playing w/ big bucks and he/they wouldn't think twice about spending $50K+ for a domain name. But, than again, when he was starting up Fox TV, they had a rep in the business for being fiscally tight, ie get as much bang for the buck as possible.

Recently, there's been a alot of film producers and entertainment execs shifting their focus to the internet. I've heard a few of them quoted and, essentially, saying the same thing- "the internet is the land of oppurtunity and has an incredible amt of untapped potential". If mngt did, indeed, overlook domains that they should have locked up, it could be a result of some inexperience in the internet arena, as well as, the confusion that often results during a transition when management is focusing on the internal politics and they, and the rest of the hierarchial chain, may have missed some of the details that one would assume would, normally, be on the agenda. Just a projecion, on my part.

lots to learn is there enough time in the universe???
Hi harpo. One of my mantras that I hum on almost a daily basis is my version of the Greatful Dead's "Uncle John's Band" :
"Woh! Ohh! What I wanna know-oh!
Is... Where does the time go?"
(I just don't know!
No. No.
I do not know.)
My hope is that we will all see each other again some day as we float around one of the stars on Orions belt. We can talk about the good old days when we used to buy and sell domain names and develop sites.

Last edited:
•••
If a big company like AskJeeves wants something, they'll be prepared to offer tons for it.

•••
its seems .us hasnt hit main stream yet!!!thats why these deals can be had{ or company and execs arent running to their banks to buy the .us names}..... most people say what is .us i never heard of it not all but most,,,,though there will be a time when that switches and it might happen overnight or years to come/////,,,,, {all we need is a strong youth movement to puch it forward to put the names in use }}}}}}}i know know i hear all the believers say yes it already deserves big bucks for a good name and the .us domains ext is already known by the masses....... though the ones forking out the money are usually ones who see the potential and the future of its ext.... which by the way is quite fortunate for the speculaters who do because with out being ahead of the game the big buyers buy everything in site.........so $6000 on ask.us is a fair price to a domainer in the know....... i say

Last edited:
•••
:hi:

jeeves either doesn;t know about .us yet :hehe: or didn;t think it worthy enough for them to have,,,they'll be :'( over this blunder...,,,

i ;m considering filing my own TM for mark ask.us with the .us in it and filing objections when they seek final approval for ASK ..such a generic word for any company to think there entitled to such generic word..is rediculous

coporate America wants to keep us little domainers down and label ALL cybersquatters,,,,,,when its them looking to squat on everything

two and three words eventually will beworth while buyandsell.us sold for 5500.they;ll be more of those....

•••
zouzas plz explain why will they be 'crying over this blunder'?? is that serious statement or an offhand joke?

barry diller is a serious big money dot com guy. he already has expedia.com, ticketmaster.com and ask.com so why would he care about ask us? he isn't about to switch it to highschool novelty names like del.icio.us

.us is extension for small business, and late to the .com party domainers. and as long as com is around, and image is everything, it will never be widely accepted by big money corporate america.

•••
producer said:
zouzas plz explain why will they be 'crying over this blunder'?? is that serious statement or an offhand joke?

barry diller is a serious big money dot com guy. he already has expedia.com, ticketmaster.com and ask.com so why would he care about ask us? he isn't about to switch it to highschool novelty names like del.icio.us

.us is extension for small business, and late to the .com party domainers. and as long as com is around, and image is everything, it will never be widely accepted by big money corporate america.

Yahoo paid about 15-30mill for that novelty name del.icio.us and isn;t about to use www.delicious.COM which just points to the .US site.......sure they bought it for tags BUT they aren;t using .com for CORPORATE AMERICA as you call it,, the image doesn;t seem to bother Yahoo using .US over .com....

If Yahoo thought "image" was Only in .com they would use www.delicious.COM

they'll be crying because Outside the US Most countries USE there country code Over .com ,,,the .com guy as you call him ,,like i said above either don;t realize it or don;t think its worth getting,,,,,to the outside world outside America .US would work better where most countries are used to using country codes........

and they'll be :'( because ill be draining their traffic with www.ask.us :sold:

•••
it will never be widely accepted by big money corporate america.
:laugh: Spoken like an individual who, (believes he), has more prescience than the rest of us, mere, mortals. "Never" covers alot of territory. Are you tight w/ Barry and know what's going on in his mind ? Apparantly so, as your statement reads like fact. rather than, as an opinion based upon your own POV and biases. Because I don't know you and you don't have much of a track record that I can draw upon to understand the context for remarks, I assume, (despite the .us in your sig), that you are what many would refer to as a "dot commer", or have, at least, been indoctrinated w/ their inflexible dogma .

I don't agree w/ this POV, (I doubt that you care), but I see .us from a different angle than yours. Chevrolet.US looks very brandable and doesn't come across as looking small business or "uncorporate" to me. If a few high profile companies, (such as Chevrolet). have some success w/ .us websites, others will follow and whatever is meant by, "widely accepted" would have to be adjusted or redefined, especially if it continues to be modified by "never".

Ask.us would be very marketable playing on the U.S.- "us" meaning if that is how the owner wanted to take it and I don't see any reason why an approach like this would limit the demographic to teenage high schoolers.

Last edited:
•••
One of you' re better posts Mike read like pure poetry. IMO

•••
really nice domain..

eat.us
love.us

us ... has so many nice domains.hehe

•••
zouzas said:
Yahoo paid about 15-30mill for that novelty name del.icio.us and isn;t about to use www.delicious.COM which just points to the .US site.......sure they bought it for tags BUT they aren;t using .com for CORPORATE AMERICA as you call it,, the image doesn;t seem to bother Yahoo using .US over .com....

If Yahoo thought "image" was Only in .com they would use www.delicious.COM

as you said it yourself they bought the site, not name. as such they would have bought any site's name or extension if it was popular enough and fit into their plans. and yes they are smart not to tamper with the good thing they already got with this, or to piss off existing users by making any sort of obvious changes (at least for now).

zouzas said:
they'll be crying because Outside the US Most countries USE there country code Over .com ,,,the .com guy as you call him ,,like i said above either don;t realize it or don;t think its worth getting,,,,,to the outside world outside America .US would work better where most countries are used to using country codes........

this comment is completely irrelevant and non-applicable in this context and also highly untrue. diller isn't courting foreign users with ask.com, nor do foreign users type .us when trying to visit american sites.

•••
Malaysia said:
really nice domain..

eat.us
love.us

us ... has so many nice domains.hehe

:hi: original owner from landrush for love.us nice you hung onto it!

grrilla's point of cheverolet.us marketing thru use of .us is what volvocars.us has done and there not stopping.

particulalry car companies like mercedes etc want a US identity ,,cause they advertise MBUSA.com nissanusa.com etc they just have not figured how to use the country code .us to market the way they do with mbusa.com

mbusa.com or

mercedes.us

even .commers have to admit mercedes.us sounds and looks better then mbusa.com :hehe:

•••
Grrilla said:
:laugh: Spoken like an individual who, (believes he), has more prescience than the rest of us, mere, mortals. "Never" covers alot of territory.

yes it does.

Grrilla said:
Are you tight w/ Barry and know what's going on in his mind ? Apparantly so, as your statement reads like fact. rather than, as an opinion based upon your own POV and biases.

yes it is the fact. show me what .us properties has diller bought so far? the guy is all about internet and he hasn't got a single .us property. how's that for my bias?

Grrilla said:
Because I don't know you and you don't have much of a track record that I can draw upon to understand the context for remarks, I assume, (despite the .us in your sig), that you are what many would refer to as a "dot commer", or have, at least, been indoctrinated w/ their inflexible dogma .

why do u care about my dogma? talk about yours or dillers?

Grrilla said:
I don't agree w/ this POV, (I doubt that you care), but I see .us from a different angle than yours. Chevrolet.US looks very brandable and doesn't come across as looking small business or "uncorporate" to me. If a few high profile companies, (such as Chevrolet). have some success w/ .us websites, others will follow and whatever is meant by, "widely accepted" would have to be adjusted or redefined, especially if it continues to be modified by "never".

chevrolet.us is so brandable that chevrolet is falling itself over it.

Grrilla said:
Ask.us would be very marketable playing on the U.S.- "us" meaning if that is how the owner wanted to take it and I don't see any reason why an approach like this would limit the demographic to teenage high schoolers.

because it's a gimmick. and gimmicks are used by those who can't offer much more than that.

•••

btw always wondered why .commers cared so much about other extenions to critize,,,,,,,,if there nothing why bother saying anything

and btw there's enough traffic for All to enjoy.

producer said:
yes it does.

yes it is the fact. show me what .us properties has diller bought so far? the guy is all about internet and he hasn't got a single .us property. how's that for my bias?

a single one well he owns more then just one saw fit to own these

expedia.us
ticketmaster.us
ask.us oops not that one :'(

•••
zouzas said:
btw always wondered why .commers cared so much about other extenions tost critize,,,,,,,,if there nothing why bother saying anything.

i actually didn't intend to criticize anything, but i find it a bit preposterous when holders of .us ext ask how in the world the owner of ask.com didn't buy ask us?? so i offered my explanation :D

•••

no problem

any thoughts on the new logo ck it out?? www.ask.us

•••
zouzas said:
a single one well he owns more then just one saw fit to own these

expedia.us
ticketmaster.us

wow, dead. they don't even forward anywhere. with it u just killed your own notion that they might have not known of .us extension. anyway they also own expedia & ticketmaster net. biz, info etc. which is natural since all these r made up words and their trademarks etc.

btw is that why u bought ask us, so u can revel in the fact that u own something that diller doesn't, or in a free publicity u will try to get when they take u to arbitration and u stage a media fight pretending to be a hapless victim who is bullied by a large corp.? :D

•••
producer said:
wow, dead. they don't even forward anywhere. with it u just killed your own notion that they might have not known of .us extension. anyway they also own expedia & ticketmaster net. biz, info etc. which is natural since all these r made up words and their trademarks etc.

btw is that why u bought ask us, so u can revel in the fact that u own something that diller doesn't, or in a free publicity u will try to get when they take u to arbitration and u stage a media fight pretending to be a hapless victim who is bullied by a large corp.? :D

:hi: mole is this you :)

•••
zouzas said:
:hi: mole is this you :)

i c u didn't answer my question which is the best answer i can get :)

•••
producer said:
i c u didn't answer my question which is the best answer i can get :)

party pooper

you didn;t answer if you were mole :hi:

if you had ck whois youd see i owned it before they ever announced anything.

as for them not using .us ,,you said they didn;t own One????

•••
yes it does.
And..?

You must be tight w/ diller, considering the god-like qualities that you have imbued him with. If Barry says so, we better all do what Barry says.

why do u care about my dogma? talk about yours or dillers?
Personally, I don give a ratsbehind about your dogma. I was reacting to you trying to shove your dogma down everyones throat, something that people who are prone to dogma and think they know all of the answers tend to do. I tend to look at both sides of an issue in a balanced way, state my opinion, and I do not prostyletize like dogmatic individuals do. I'll leave Barry's dogma to you. You are the one who seems to admire his wisdom and to know him so well.

chevrolet.us is so brandable that chevrolet is falling itself over it.
Doesn't that make it obvious that they should clear out there Ad/marketin dept and fire their ad agency? Car companies are, almost as conservative as .commers. and equally delusional. Nothing wrong with them being that way- they'll catch up when they see the light. IMO

because it's a gimmick. and gimmicks are used by those who can't offer much more than that.
You call it a gimmick, I call it a hook. .commers who are under the illusion that they are standing above it all are the one's who have nothing to offer to anyone. Your posts in this thread have exhibited this, quite well.

Hey, I have nothing against you stating our opinions. But don't try to shove them on me as gospel, and if all you are interested in is headbutting, let the games begin. I'll show you a wall that you can butt your head into all day long while you obsess on proving, to yourself, how smart you are.

Last edited:
•••
thankgoodness for grrilla :) i was running out of breath :hi:

•••
An oft used phrase- well by me anyway :) - "I guess he/she doth protest too much" thanks to WS.

Used when a party continues to try to push their case uphill, oft means they are wrong but won't admit it :!:

If the cap fits :hi:

Last edited:
•••
producer said:
..it will never be widely accepted by big money corporate america.
No offense intended by the following post.

I've often found in these discussions that when people use the word "never" like this, continuing the argument with multiple follow-up comments of the same overly negative tone, they are either A) Very narrow minded. B) Worried the success of .US might adversely affect their .COM properties. C) Frustrated because they didn't have the vision and foresight to get in on the .US themselves. Or, a combination of all A,B,C.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back