IT.COM

domains As Meta stock tumbles with Metaverse losses mounting, should domainer’s rethink their domain holdings

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact

With all the speculation and hype around the Metaverse and domain names related to Metaverse and meta, this past week had to give one pause. Meta Platforms the parent of Facebook got trounced in the market. They are losing a lot of money so far in their attempt to build their Metaverse. The stock of […]
Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
•••
300 people using the metaverse 😂. Wow.

Nobody wants it!!
They have a lot of things to improve which they are working on (check video) and maybe in the future things will change, but 300 people now, not so much indeed lol

Inside Meta’s Reality Labs: Hands-On With the Future of Metaverse​

Last edited:
•••
Search term for "metaverse" in Google:

meta.png

Source: Google Trends

Last edited:
•••
we still want hedges shorts and gold

BUT now the London Kid http://londonkid.com

sees 89 days and 8 waves in META :
the call option candidate...
the call option candidate...META-8-Waves.png (141.12 KiB) Not viewed yet
and possibly a massive short squeeze in MULN :
possibly the only game in town...
possibly the only game in town...MULN-Base.png (51.33 KiB) Not viewed yet
Wishing that You may Prevail over Inflation !

Cheers !

•••
They have a lot of things to improve which they are working on (check video) and maybe in the future things will change, but 300 people now, not so much indeed lol

Inside Meta’s Reality Labs: Hands-On With the Future of Metaverse​

Oh god if it has zuck a Borg in it I don't think I can watch it

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Do you really need a land line to get out of Matrix?
One can always throw himself in front of a car or off of a cliff and other methods, so no need for land lines. :D

•••
I found that the people into the metaverse and products like it, believe in it like someone believes in a cult and would rather lose everything they have than reconsider their investments.

Most people not into it are not against it, they just want to wait a little more before investing.

To confirm it's a cult, anyone that challenges the belief in the metaverse, is immediately attacked by the cult worshippers. Some people get so intimidated by these worshippers that they either say nothing or worse, give bad investment advice to appease the few very loud, people of the meta cult. You also will find people that don't believe in it that will say, "I definitely think one day it will be very popular, however, that will take a while." They say this out of fear of the cult worshippers.

I agree, but there is also a cult of denial about the metaverse. It is a fact that thousands of companies are building their own digital worlds and calling them the "metaverse".

•••
I agree, but there is also a cult of denial about the metaverse. It is a fact that thousands of companies are building their own digital worlds and calling them the "metaverse".
The denial is because all predictions about the metaverse so far did not come true. That is not a cult, that is respecting what people are into and not into.

•••
I think it's early days. Domainers are pesimistic, because that XXXXX meta sale hasn't come yet. Patience is a virtue.

Last edited:
•••
Domainers should always rethink their domain holdings. Why would metaverse names be excluded?

A critical consideration is... the Meta metaverse is not 'The Metaverse'.
One writer said Meta is like Motorola, in the 1990's, spending a ton a money on a constellation of satellites so it could 'own' the wireless web world, but cell towers won-out because they were cheaper and less complexed.

Another consideration, is what the OP posted last month, that domains are the "real land of the metaverse".
namepros.com/threads/escrow-com-the-real-land-of-the-metaverse-is-and-has-always-been-domain-names.1285296/

Personally, I only reg'd about a dozen -and will drop a few, but hold most as I see a use case beyond phones & computers.

•••

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
I'll keep this shorter then my last post which didn't address some crucial points...

Meta Platform's issue and losses is not reflective of the Metaverse as a whole.

If you weren't around domaining during the Great Recession 2007-2009 then these are fearful times. Fearful times breeds panic.... if you did not prepare your portfolio or finances adequately, then you do what you need to do to eat which typically means selling cheap. But holding is the better strategy when facing recessionary pressures especially in a niche where major players have yet to enter the ring and we have countries like Dubai via Dubai Future wanting to be the leader (and China) and other governments changing their economic outlook to reflect the metaverse.

2007-2009 the major tech niche emerging at that time was "CLOUD". Late 2006 early 2007 was quick boom before recession came full blast. It was another big holding season and it wasn't until 2010 that the Cloud market really exploded and still going strong. Put same pattern occured.... panic selling.... saavy buying.

If you don't have great names, hey recoup your money because where there is panic selling and there is also active spread buying occuring. If you have great names or decent names, you hold until the dust clears... oh... and watch out for vultures coming in and telling you your asset is worthless because of the economy. Know what your name is worth under normal economic conditions. if you don't need the money, you just hold for the clearing/your price. That's it. This climate breeds desperation on many parts.

And it is NEVER a good idea tying your entire portfolio decision based on 1 company's outlook when the very goal of a true metaverse is to be an open network of companies agreeing on protocles etc and playing nice to build it. Research Research Research.... also, network and ask questions if this environment is not your strong suite. Unsettled environments is where you can make a lot of money and also where you can lose your shirt so strategize wisely based on your risk tolerance... you have to decide what's best for you... but I would suggest not panicing and without panicking also ask yourself, if there are other niches or domain vehicles that can do better right now? Having options and knowing them helps to alleviate fear and doubt even if you don't act on them.

Best of luck everyone! Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
•••
If your domain names include the full word "metaverse", that is definitely based on the trend, and you should adjust based on the trajectory and current market.

However, if the domain names include just "meta", this gives much more flexibility and broader use.

Meta is a prefix meaning "more comprehensive" or "transcending". In modern nomenclature meta- means also self-referential field of study or endeavor. Meta domain names have been around far longer than the metaverse. Those should be considered on a case by case basis.

•••
I'll keep this shorter then my last post which didn't address some crucial points...

If you weren't around domaining during the Great Recession 2007-2009 then these are fearful times. Fearful times breeds panic.... if you did not prepare your portfolio or finances adequately, then you do what you need to do to eat which typically means selling cheap. But holding is the better strategy when facing recessionary pressures especially in a niche where major players have yet to enter the ring and we have countries like Dubai via Dubai Future wanting to be the leader (and China) and other governments changing their economic outlook to reflect the metaverse.

2007-2009 the major tech niche emerging at that time was "CLOUD". Late 2006 early 2007 was quick boom before recession came full blast. It was another big holding season and it wasn't until 2010 that the Cloud market really exploded and still going strong. Put same pattern occured.... panic selling.... saavy buying.

If you don't have great names, hey recoup your money because where there is panic selling and there is also active spread buying occuring. If you have great names or decent names, you hold until the dust clears.

And it is NEVER a good idea tying your portfolio decision based on 1 company's outlook. Research Research Research.... also, network and ask questions if this environment is not your strong suite. Unsettled environments is where you can make a lot of money and also where you can lose your shirt so strategize wisely based on your risk tolerance... you have to decide what's best for you... but I would suggest not panicing.

Best of luck everyone! Just my 2 cents.
That's it, you nailed it! In addition it does not mean because Meta Platforms, Inc. aka Facebook is failing (which could change in the future too) that the metaverse will fail as a whole industry, it is still super early not to mention the recession going on.

Check out this video about the Great Video Game crash of 1983, everybody thought gaming would be a flop, until Nintendo NES came along and changed the game literally.

Last edited:
•••
300 users a day.
2007-2009 the major tech niche emerging at that time was "CLOUD".
Cloud market really exploded and still going strong
Cloud had utility that made EVERYTHING easier for people and for businesses. Metaverse doesn't have these properties.

Cloud is "we'll store that on our servers". That's a great concept.

You can pay to live in a virtual world like a drone and experience something that is completely rubbish and half bakes isn't the same.

My 2 cents

•••
300 users a day.

Cloud had utility that made EVERYTHING easier for people and for businesses. Metaverse doesn't have these properties.

Cloud is "we'll store that on our servers". That's a great concept.

You can pay to live in a virtual world like a drone and experience something that is completely rubbish and half bakes isn't the same.

My 2 cents

There was a time when the internet had about 50,000 users globally and demonized. That said, invest whereever makes you feel safe. Not here to change minds. I'm set. Not here to pull anyones safety blanket off either. Emerging tech is not for the risk averse. Invest or don't invest at your own risk.

good luck mate

•••
•••

Could not agree more and I think its important.

Meta stock is down because the growth and revenue of Facebook + Instagram are down for the first time. "The Metaverse" is just a sideshow - investors don't care about it or the $15 billion Zuck has blown on it.

$15 billion wasted is a lot of money, yes - to you and me. But its not important to a company of their size.

If Zuck wants to run around blowing small money on his pet project literally no one cares, as long as the cash cow of Facebook + Instagram + WhatsApp was still producing and growing. That's what was giving them their insane $trillion+ valuation.

But for the first time in their history, that cash cow's production and growth is slowing. TikTok is eating their lunch. That's why META stock is down, not because anyone gives two shits about Zuck's metaverse being so stupid and wasting a little money.

Regarding meta domains: I have ~300 of them. I've sold several in the last year, and will probably keep 40% of what I have. That's more a reflection of what I've learned + the relatively high renewal cost of .xyz domains rather than my becoming bearish on this niche.

I think Meta Platforms has probably bought all the meta domains they are going to. From here (and for the last year) I think you're selling meta domains to other metaverse/web3 startups anyway. So in my mind the important question is to what extent FB's metaverse crashing so hard and so publicly will make it harder for other metaverse/web3 startups to get funded and thus reduce the demand for these names.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back