Domain Empire

domains As Meta stock tumbles with Metaverse losses mounting, should domainer’s rethink their domain holdings

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact

With all the speculation and hype around the Metaverse and domain names related to Metaverse and meta, this past week had to give one pause. Meta Platforms the parent of Facebook got trounced in the market. They are losing a lot of money so far in their attempt to build their Metaverse. The stock of […]
Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lots of people made a lot of money last year, you have to know when to bail out, but while the "buzz" is hot, it's smart to invest in whatever niche, but know when to exit.

Show attachment 226102
Source: NameBio.com
Last year was the key point of your post. Also knowing when to move along!

•••
Last year was the key point of your post. Also knowing when to move along!
That's what I'm saying. But it can also rise again with time, because the MetaVerse is still in development.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think they have any actual interest in the concept other than it's just another way to use data and technology to jam ads in front of your face.

•••
I think the problem is that Facebook is the wrong company to be the pioneer "metaverse" company.

Apple, IBM, Google, some giant tech company. But Facebook is just a social media and networking service. Nothing about them gives them the experience and resources to do something this massive.

Even Apple said they saw more of a mixed reality environment than this full blown immersed world that Facebook is talking about.
I disagree with that, i think Mark Zuckerberg has done a lot for the growth of the metaverse (making people aware etc) and are the company with Facebook/Instagram/Whatsapp/Oculus etc (how many billion use these?) to accelerate the growth of 'a metaverse' to that next level.

Problem i have with 'Meta's vision of 'the metaverse' is them branding around it and them wanting to become 'the metaverse'. They've trademarked 'Meta' they are probably the owners of Metaverse.com, they want to be rulers of this whole 'meta' world.

If they promoted an open source 'metaverse' more people may be on board, but why should any companies or any industries support a 'Meta' controlled metaverse or their vision of what a metaverse is?

Last edited:
•••
I disagree with that, i think Mark Zuckerberg has done a lot for the growth of the metaverse (making people aware etc) and are the company with Facebook/Instagram/Whatsapp/Oculus etc (how many billion use these?) to accelerate the growth of 'a metaverse' to that next level.
He's also done a lot to show its failing.

•••
I’ve been saying for quite some time that the idea of the metaverse is dumb.

Anyone who invested in these types of domains will regret it. Good luck and just know it happens. Learning curve…
Check this: https://metaverse-standards.org/members/ only a fraction of the companies involved in the niche, check the caliber of these companies and the money involved and tell them that they are dumb. Even as of today, each day there are more companies investing in the niche.

•••
•••
Anyone who invested in these types of domains will regret it. Good luck and just know it happens. Learning curve…
Well, I made back all the money I spent on buying them as handregs, but thats not really investing. Right now its cost me nothing and I made just over $1200 profit. Its the coming renewals that I have to be careful with. Most expire in Jan to May 2023.

Last edited:
•••
Well, I made back all the money I spent on buying them as handregs, but thats not really investing. Right now its cost me nothing and I made just over $1200 profit. Its the coming renewals that I have to be careful with. Most expire in Jan to May 2023.
Awesome that you made money!

There have been meta related sales in the past and no doubt there will be more. It just seems like a lot of hype and lots of folks are talking about metaverse domains as if they’re an awesome investment, long term.

Be careful because what’s hot today will be forgotten tomorrow.

•••
Hi

how can you "buy land" in an environment with no ground?

yes, the metaverse is still developing, and as foreseen, will eventually become The Matrix.

except there won't be any "land lines" to get you out.

imo....

•••
You should buy meta stocks …all time low…I have 600 shares now

•••
You should buy meta stocks …all time low…I have 600 shares now
All time low for a reason. It’ll go lower if Zuck keeps trying to push a bad cartoon.

•••
All time low for a reason. It’ll go lower if Zuck keeps trying to push a bad cartoon.

Doesn’t matter my average is $95 a share in 5 years I expect it will double or triple …I see the early day similarity to Tsla when no one believed it ….of course, you should also buy puts if you worry about short term fluctuation

•••
55e019eba1e66509f8d71d9ffcab9505943f1bd769ee51624bb61aa53fc49ae9.gif

•••
People lost a lot of money using this logic in the past year holding on to FB / META. Buy when everyone runs away is not a rule for all stocks. In most cases when everyone runs from a specific stock, run as well.

Bitcoin is as good as centralized. In fact, you need more identification to use bitcoin for most regular transactions than you need for any other payment method. When was the last time you wanted to buy something at amazon and you needed to go through a verification method asking for your passport, selfie etc?
I tried buying bitcoin 4 times, in different places and none would seem to accept my passport and drivers licence! I gave up and saw it as a sign that the universe didn’t want me to buy it.

•••
•••
It is not a joke that 700 Billion US Dollars were wiped out with the crash of 24% in Meta Price.
Money is not "wiped out" in financial markets, it simply changes hands, most often from the neophyte to the pro.

•••
Meta Facebook is not the leading player in Metaverse. The leading players are Decentraland, Sandbox. Land Parcels in Decentraland used to be only $20, and now the ceapest are $3000.There are leading brands including Ferrari, Adidas, Sotheby's, etc. already open store on Metaverse. So for me, Metaverse is not Meta inc. which already failed in Diem Crypto (used to be called as Libra). Meta inc. might fail in Metaverse too, who knows. But Crypto and Metaverse are the other story, not connected to Diem and Meta Platform.
Well, I don't know about that. Surely the primary reason why the value of Decentraland went up was because of hype over Meta's 'Metaverse', and the idea that the Internet will gradually become VR? Meta sold over 90% of VR headsets last year and have a real first mover advantage there.
However, I always thought metaverse names were a bit risky, especially with Meta's main rival likely to be Apple, who will NEVER adopt the 'metaverse' terminology, and in fact rubbish it while betting their company (just like Meta) on the same vision (if more focused on AR, which is still the 'metaverse').
It does puzzle me the number of rubbish metaverse and varient names being sold, when as a holder of a lot of decent VR names, I've never had so much of a single offer on any of them yet. The metaverse will be derided and people will stop using the term, but VR will continue to grow near exponentionally, and in 15 or 20 years time, we will all realize that we spend half our days in the 'metaverse'. Zuckerberg himself has said it will be at least 10 years before the metaverse is mainstream.

•••
The main reason for Meta bad start is that they didn't first study if people will accept the idea. They just wanted to push the technology as a new reality and we have to accept. Who said we want this?! People value quality time outdoors more than ever so I believe most people will simply opt-out of the Metaverse.

All indicators are negatives for Meta, it was huge risk that they took, and I expect that the idea will be abandoned eventually.

Last edited:
•••
I don't know much about the Metaverse, but Web Summit 2022 is happening right now and everyone is talking about AR, VR, blockchain, metaverse...

Last edited:
•••
Hi

how can you "buy land" in an environment with no ground?

yes, the metaverse is still developing, and as foreseen, will eventually become The Matrix.

except there won't be any "land lines" to get you out.

imo....
Do you really need a land line to get out of Matrix?

•••
Sector is still pretty strong with offers and sales.

Meta
Metaverse
Verse

Gonna be massive so adjust accordingly.
I'm holding my best, only sold a few.

Very very hard to get in now as people are holding with very high prices 👀 I'm a buyer if anyone wants out.

•••
The Metaverse is The Wold's Deepest Money Pit

Poor Zuck lol

Last edited:
•••
I don't know much about the Metaverse, but Web Summit 2022 is happening right now and everyone is talking about AR, VR, blockchain, metaverse...
everyone = the same people and not many new people

•••
The Metaverse is The Wold's Deepest Money Pit

Poor Zuck lol
Even the avatars suck. Play a PS5 game that has avatars, and see what a higher quality avatar looks like

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back