IT.COM

analysis Are You Ready For An Explosion In Domain Sales?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
Originally posted at: http://namecult.com/are-you-ready-for-an-explosion-in-domain-sales/

Donald Trump's recent anger at Twitter, and the talk of his government potentially closing various social media companies down, would have a monumental ripple effect on the domain industry.

What most of the world missed, hidden in the financial crash of 2008, was that it wasn't just regular businesses that closed because of that crisis. Right around the same time is when Facebook took off at a viral rate the world had never seen before. However, in doing so, it killed thousands upon thousands of smaller niche communities as eyeballs jumped to Facebook where you essentially could keep in touch and keep tabs on anyone and everyone you knew online.

The end result was a death to a lot of nice fun websites run by individuals or small groups. As those websites died over the following couple of years, all those domains were dropped.

While I don't think it's likely it will ever come to Twitter and Facebook closing their doors, given the erratic nature of the current U.S. administration, the probability is not absolute zero. That being said, there's a slightly higher, yet still slim chance that there could be some form of changes coming on the horizon.

Ironically enough, the social media giants like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube (Google) are coming to a crossroads where we as a society need to figure out where to draw the line in terms of how responsible they are for the actual content they "Publish". I deliberately put "Publish" in quotes, because their argument to relinquish responsibility of the content found on their networks, is that they are not the publishers, but that in fact it is their users who are the publishers.

Ultimately whoever is decided to be the actual "publisher", there's the important fact that the platforms have a direct financial benefit from the content. So an argument could be made that they still have responsibility even if they didn't actually create the content. The final answer also need not be one or the other, but in fact, both users and the social platforms could shoulder various forms of responsibility.

In the end, that argument is a rather complex one with more nuances and consequences than most people realise. However, one thing should be clear to all ... which is that if there are closures or strong restriction that are imposed on the big social media platforms, it will be the domain industry that benefits in big way as more and more blogs, community websites and niche groups move to get their own websites where they have far greater control over their content.

It's actually something the online world should be considering regardless as to what is imposed on social media sites in the next months and years, but if the U.S. administration takes drastic action against them, then the positive effect on demand for domains could be extremely quick depending on the specifics.

To all you domain investors out there: Get ready ... Get set ... G...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Let the governments in all countries put stringent restrictions on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. They are going beyond our control. It seems, if we do not take immediate actions against these social media giants, the day is not far when these three will have full control of our mind and actions. The monopoly should be crushed. favoritism must end. People must be given full right to freedom of expression and actions. There is a big threat for humanity from these three monsters. Let us not become puppets in their hands.

•••
Never used twitter much, deleted facebook last year, only use google for website analytics and watching domain name social. Namepros is my only social network 🤘 Hopefully there will be some spillover from the recent news that I'm not up to date with, thanks for sharing.

•••
Let the governments in all countries put stringent restrictions on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. They are going beyond our control. It seems, if we do not take immediate actions against these social media giants, the day is not far when these three will have full control of our mind and actions. The monopoly should be crushed. favoritism must end. People must be given full right to freedom of expression and actions. There is a big threat for humanity from these three monsters. Let us not become puppets in their hands.
You forgot to add...

Google
Apple
LinkedIn
Samsung
Amazon

And the rest....

You want an easier life, a more connected world? There is a trade off...our data = a more friendly/easier user experience..

If you have nothing to hide then why does privacy matter? We will all become connected at some point..

Experiments in Brain linking, Ai merging, Elon Musks Neuralink project are happening right now so the future will be, is becoming very much "open source"....love it or hate it.....it's happening, roll with it, embrace it or get left behind....

Just my 2 cents...

•••
Many crypto Youtube influencers have had videos removed, strikes placed against their account, been banned from adding content for a week and in some cases had their accounts removed due to an unexplained violation of rules. Thus, they have begun creating separate platforms to reach their audience just in case. Ivan on Tech on every YouTube episode reminds his viewers that the original broadcast was on his website and that they are missing out by watching a recording. He frequently references his blockchain academy on his website. YouTube has many viewers but video content creators are beginning to realize they need their own platform.

•••
Hi

if the U.S. administration takes drastic action against them

that's a big IF
trumpster is a big baby and when someone he can't control disputes his words, then he lashes out like a cry baby
and anybody in his admin who disputes or disagree with him, gets kicked to the curb and disgraced publicly
waaah, fake news, waaaah fake judges, waaah fire the football players for kneeling, :)

but IF
he doesn't get elected, then twit can go back to normal
if, he gets a second term, he will declare himself dictator and president life
and all hell will break loose … seriously!!

as for my opinion on FB, here is related thread
https://www.namepros.com/threads/facebook-who-is-still-holding-out.1014394/

imo...

•••
You're right. That's the trend. Centralized users are over, followed by decentralized, risk-resistant, multi platform applications. I think every company and individual should have a domain name.
Many people say that app doesn't need domain name. In fact, domain name is necessary when addressing. This also brings a benefit. With the exhaustion and high price of. COM domain name resources, ccTLDs and new gTLDs will have room for development.
Especially those ambitious registries and their products.
In China, a store is banned by the website, which can make the online store with a monthly income of tens of millions disappear in a flash.This is terrible. Without its own domain name, such things will happen again and again, and the power of the platform will become more and more powerful, which cannot be restricted.

•••
The time has come !!
Good luck to all:cigar:

Cheers

•••
Domains will always be critical to business no matter what the current administration does or doesn’t do. To me it sounds like a lot of huffing and puffing with no real action. DJT loves twitter too much.

But in the grander scheme of things, social networks, if used correctly, actually help websites accumulate traffic and lead generation they can collect (with permission, of course). So domains play a key role in that, as well as in branding.

It’s not that social networks hurt domain sales, it’s people’s understanding as to how to leverage them. Especially small mom and pop businesses.

•••
But if trump lost in the coming election , then ultimately all his current anger , rules , decicions , fights , arguments will be cancelled and useless !
So maybe domainers must pray for trump if they believe in domain sales explosion lol

Last edited:
•••
•••
Regardless who wins, the government will have to flood the market with cash in order to keep civil order, this is especially true if there is a resurgence / second wave this year or next year of the virus.

Its always easier to buy stuff with money you did not work hard for, just ask the startups that throw money on the silliest of things. In fact, most of us dream that a startup flush with cash reach out to us about a domain.

I think many people are starting to think about starting a business on their own. When someone gets fired, in many cases they start planning a way to be more financially independent. In these days, there is a chance it will involve a website and possibly a domain that is not available to hand register.

I think we will see a real rise in domain sales in the next 12 months.

•••
You forgot to add...

Google
Apple
LinkedIn
Samsung
Amazon

And the rest....

You want an easier life, a more connected world? There is a trade off...our data = a more friendly/easier user experience..

If you have nothing to hide then why does privacy matter? We will all become connected at some point..

Experiments in Brain linking, Ai merging, Elon Musks Neuralink project are happening right now so the future will be, is becoming very much "open source"....love it or hate it.....it's happening, roll with it, embrace it or get left behind....

Just my 2 cents...

google owns YouTube and Microsoft owns Linkedln and Facebook owns instagram and WhatsApp ... too much money harvesting the people’s information

•••
I think many people are starting to think about starting a business on their own. When someone gets fired, in many cases they start planning a way to be more financially independent

Hi,

I can agree with that and see the reality of it now.
in the past, getting a good job, having a career, trade or profession, was the goal and still is for majority of populations
but corona has changed the mindset.

the old days of working the same job for years, then getting a pension and retiring into your golden years, are no longer viable.....except in politics. :)

and the young folks really have no sense of brand loyalty, except for new tech and gym shoes :)
many of genx, don't stay on same job for more than 5 years now, which makes turnover higher than in the past.

but that generation will be the one to take online businesses to next phase.

because the possibility that brick and mortar companies will last long enough for one to retire from, is not a "given" anymore.

imo...

•••
It is an interesting view well expressed @Ategy but I am not sure that it will necessarily lead to an explosion of interest in domain names. That said...

I think it would IF someone develops some sort of open source (ideally), free (or near free) extensible, simple to implement, platform that would give people the parts they want of social media like Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, on their own domain name, with full ownership if content and control and without advertising, or not intrusive advertising at least.

For some years there has been growing concern on the influence of social media platforms. I think the time is ripe for a different solution. But we need something that will be as easy to share images as Instagram, as easy to share commentary as Twitter, as easy to stay in touch with family and friends as Facebook. It is a big ask.

Currently the option of web hosting with WordPress has some features, but not enough to make people give up the social media they have become used to.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
I would think more the economic problems, and what happened with the virus would cause many to either not purchase web names or even hosting. I may simply not see the bigger picture on this subject.

•••

Donald Trump's recent anger at Twitter,...
While I don't think it's likely it will ever come to Twitter and Facebook closing their doors, ..

all hot air

Trump is not going to close his most beloved toy

where should he tweet?
he would have to create his own social network first

he just wants to force twitter not to stop him
posting BS

•••
•••
Can I be honest? I've been waiting for nearly 20 years:joyful:

•••
It is an interesting view well expressed @Ategy but I am not sure that it will necessarily lead to an explosion of interest in domain names. That said...

I think it would IF someone develops some sort of open source (ideally), free (or near free) extensible, simple to implement, platform that would give people the parts they want of social media like Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, on their own domain name, with full ownership if content and control and without advertising, or not intrusive advertising at least.

For some years there has been growing concern on the influence of social media platforms. I think the time is ripe for a different solution. But we need something that will be as easy to share images as Instagram, as easy to share commentary as Twitter, as easy to stay in touch with family and friends as Facebook. It is a big ask.

Currently the option of web hosting with WordPress has some features, but not enough to make people give up the social media they have become used to.

Bob
"The Wall Script" is better than facebook imho.

There are open source alternatives Bob but the other socmed sites are the places to be right now.

When a new place to be comes along then people will go here.

My kids are not on fb because... Mom and dad are there. They are on whassup and other platforms.

Fb is trying to be like the chinese govt controlled wechat. The stranglehold on freedom of speech, political censoring, thought control, spying etc is what is scary.

•••
In china you are free to use wechat and alipay. You pay for everything on those platforms with QR codes. Cash doesn't exist in big cities and even credit cards are refused for payment.

All goes through censorship of big brother.

•••
•••
all hot air

Trump is not going to close his most beloved toy

where should he tweet?
he would have to create his own social network first

he just wants to force twitter not to stop him
posting BS

Without Twitter, he will lose his bully pulpit. That's the only place he can share his real thoughts without being reined in.

Last edited:
•••

If you're using any, you can just stop using them, why are you calling for them to be punished?

A little extreme imo

•••
Not sure about an explosion, but it does seem that more niche, for lack of a better word, personalities are relying on their own domain brand more than other forums. A good example is Alex Jones. He was popular on YouTube, Twitter etc. before he was banned. Now he’s just as popular, if not more so, than ever using only his own domain to spread his content.

Last edited:
•••
Back