IT.COM
NameSilo
Watch

Very interesting article at The Domains:

http://www.thedomains.com/2014/06/03/did-networksolutions-com-give-away-free-xyz-domain-names/

According to the article, when someone regs a domain at Net Sol, he/she automatically is "given" the matching .xyz. One has to opt out by going to a separate link.

Indeed, I checked a couple of The Domains samples (both crap domains in any gTLD) in both .com and .xyz, and, yes, they are owned by the same person.

But I noticed something else that's interesting: the registrant email for .xyz is under privacy, but the .com isn't.

Check for yourself:

00938625.XYZ (privacy email)
00938625.com (regular email)

03304cjp64ubzd1.xyz (privacy email)
03304cjp64ubzd1.com (regular)​

I bet that the registrant doesn't even know that the .xyz has been awarded to him/her and that renewal notices won't even go to the registrant.

It does look fishy, I'm afraid.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Was the writing on the wall??
A poster on OnlineDomains.com noted this LINK on Mr. XYZ.

•••
Cooking the books usually refers to revenue and income manipulation. Are we really upset because they gave some names away?

Hosting companies give "free" domains all the time.

You know in the Shoot The Sh... thread we give free likes....oh the horror.

•••
Cooking the books usually refers to revenue and income manipulation. Are we really upset because they gave some names away?

Yes, it's upsetting.

I wouldn't want a ton of poison nerve gas from World War II gifted to me and then dumped on my driveway, either.

We are talking about domains that NO ONE would want, beauts like the examples I offered in my original posts and at The Domains.

These domains were gifted for one reason and one reason only: to pump up and manipulate numbers, to deceive others into thinking that "SUCCESS" had been achieved, when, in fact, the gTLD is doing poorly.

Yeah. I'm pissed off.

I don't want such dubious freebies.

The good news: I ditched Net Sol years ago, so I'm not personally affected by this tap dance between Net Sol and .xyz; however, anything that blights this industry I find exceedingly offensive.

•••

They're padding their numbers to make it seem as though they're more successful, so more people will be encouraged to buy, or am i lost?

•••
That would appear to be the case ...

•••
Well, there is a new post on ceo.xyz. Doesn't look like he's going to address any of this. It's What is a registrar, registry, registrant, icann etc. basic stuff. Then this:

Why does .xyz have so many registrations?

2 years of hard work.

Then ends with he doesn't read blogs/comments very frequently.

If I just released a new extension, I would be all over the blogs, forums, social media etc, checking out what people are saying. Addressing any issues brought up etc. Most people would. It's kind of like sticking your fingers in your ear going nanananana, I can't hear you type of response.

Last edited:
•••
Just WOW -- first I have heard of the NSI "reveal". If you folks haven't checked out the above link posted by Hawkeye, I'd suggest you do.

•••
Let's call an end to the 99 c Godaddy coupons too. They're inflating domains under management

And let's hope they never repeat that free .info with a .com thing they did.

I also think NP is inflating it's user numbers to make the forum seem huge... let's blog about it!

Domain investors are a poorly defined group using crap metrics for determining investment quality if this makes them buy .xyz or not.

If there is a violation of law or registry compliance issue then people are right to question but all I see is complaining about numbers like that matters.

You think my mom and pop will be fooled into buying xyz because of numbers? I'm more concerned a .com is $80.

There are 100 issues I could list above this right now (barely break a sweat) that should concern the domain investor

•••
Let's call an end to the 99 c Godaddy coupons too. They're inflating domains under management

I also think NP is inflating it's user numbers to make the forum seem hug

Domain investors are a poorly defined group using crap metrics for determining investment quality if this makes them buy .xyz or not.

If there is a violation of law or registry compliance issue then people are right to question but all I see is complaining about numbers like that matters.

You think my mom and pop will be fooled into buying xyz because of numbers? I'm more concerned a .com is $80.

Bit of a reach with GD coupons. And numbers do matter, why do you think they did this? If you're out there saying you're the next .com, going to be the #1 extension etc. people are going to check if you can back it up. Numbers do matter to those selling them, it's why you have different sites out there, new ones at that, keeping track. It's why he used those numbers in his video. He knows if some people see good numbers, it might encourage them to invest in them as well.

Last edited:
•••
.xyz's grandstanding and boasting about blockbuster registrations at the starting gate being a total load of crap is nothing to gripe about? Get real.

•••
His post seems foolish, you have to address this as its only causing damage to the brand, and registrants. I have spoken to people who now feel embarrassed to have regged just 1 .xyz name because the extension looks like a joke.

•••

I also think NP is inflating it's user numbers to make the forum seem huge... let's blog about it!

There are 100 issues I could list above this right now (barely break a sweat) that should concern the domain investor

HUGE difference! One has to search for the 99 cent coupons, actively search for a specific domain, plug the coupon code on an obscure box, and HOPE that it works. We complain when there are not enough codes...

In other words, one has to actively use these codes.

And that must-opt-out .info freebie was blogged about...I don't think that's done anymore, perhaps because of the bloggers.

These .xyz domains are automatically tacked onto someone's .com order, often without their knowledge -- and even added MONTHS after someone has regged the .com. What kind of a business model is that?

•••
seems to be a lot of blogs mentioning .club and .xyz ……ummmm

•••
Well, there is a new post on ceo.xyz. Doesn't look like he's going to address any of this. It's What is a registrar, registry, registrant, icann etc. basic stuff. Then this:

Why does .xyz have so many registrations?

2 years of hard work.

Then ends with he doesn't read blogs/comments very frequently.

If I just released a new extension, I would be all over the blogs, forums, social media etc, checking out what people are saying. Addressing any issues brought up etc. Most people would. It's kind of like sticking your fingers in your ear going nanananana, I can't hear you type of response.

So looks like he let a post thru and somebody straight asked about about those domains. Go check out his reply, still doesn't directly answer it. Some registrars charge $0 to $5,000, up to them on how the market their products, not his role to set the prices etc.

For kicks, I decided to check out the 4 sites be mentioned indexed and using the new extension.
1. doesn't resolve
2. goes to a site with last post from 2012
3. looks like framed fowarded to some .com
4. one, after awhile redirects to another site, then to another, then to another.....

It's early, I'm sure better sites will come.

•••
And numbers do matter, why do you think they did this? If you're out there saying you're the next .com, going to be the #1 extension etc. people are going to check if you can back it up. Numbers do matter to those selling them, it's why you have different sites out there, new ones at that, keeping track. It's why he used those numbers in his video. He knows if some people see good numbers, it might encourage them to invest in them as well.

I fully acknowledge that numbers matter to marketing geniuses: How many customers? Cost of acquisition? Retention rate?

What I said was that anyone using number of registrations as a barometer of anything to determine investment grade potential of a domain. Admit it - it's not going to change your mind is it? You think Ms Domainer is looking at the numbers to figure out whether she should buy Jennifer.xyz? I doubt it.

So what does it matter to you? Do you check how many domains GoDaddy has under management and argue that's because they give away loss leading coupons? Do you routinely check .info numbers? Do you even care about .co? For a while that was touch and go whether they reached 1,000,000 and even when... people doubted.

Why are sites keeping track? They probably have ads for GoDaddy, Dynadot, Sedo on their page. Perhaps they want to become an authority on a subject? Maybe it helps them in their domaining career? I don't - why don't we ask them. Maybe it's just to keep you happy :)

You approach domains with an "investment" hat always and forever - you believe the whole thing is a money rush and I partially agree. But do the numbers hurt anyone? Are the numbers violating any laws or agreements? If they do then THAT is an issue. Inflating numbers is just that - inflating numbers. I have multiple car dealers near me insisting they are the largest volume dealer in the State! Perhaps I should check their numbers... might be buying from them under false pretenses!

HUGE difference! One has to search for the 99 cent coupons, actively search for a specific domain, plug the coupon code on an obscure box, and HOPE that it works. We complain when there are not enough codes...

These .xyz domains are automatically tacked onto someone's .com order, often without their knowledge -- and even added MONTHS after someone has regged the .com. What kind of a business model is that?

So the method of inflating numbers matters... if GoDaddy just gave everyone a 99c coupon automatically .... then we would say that they're artificially inflating their domains under management to appear better and they should stop?

Who cares when they added the domain? If you're not being charged for it? If you don't like it then you drop it or delete it.

if you can't you just leave it there like an annoying appendix.

But ultimately you're not complaining about any of that. You're complaining because they have artificially high registration counts. You're complaining about something happening at a registrar you will never ever use because they have other much bigger issues. You're complaining about their business model? Their business model is STUPID. Their business model is REALLY REALLY STUPID.

If people get charged, if people have some legal right trampled on (which they may, I haven't look at the registrar/registry agreements) then there is certainly a bigger issue but no one is talking about that. It seems that the issue people have is over some childish registration count because we're all trying to keep score on who's right and wrong in the gTLD opinion stakes :)

I am saying this thread is stupid and contributing to it which makes me stupider, I think. :)

•••
•••
Mr. Negari's incessant pounding on that giant "That was Easy!" button in that video of his, looks like a(n embarrassing) joke.

•••
Admit it - it's not going to change your mind is it?

Mine, no. Some other people, yes. Again, they know this too, that's why they trumpet it and in this case, blow the horn.

Are the numbers violating any laws or agreements? If they do then THAT is an issue.

Not sure, it might, Berryhill was posting he was skeptical if it was "ICANN compliant". Beyond that, it's obvious not a good look, might keep some from buying names now.

As far as you asking my interest. I do domaining, this is a domaining forum, it's the subject of this thread. I'm always interested in the market, this is part of that market. Simple.

It's something you might not have any interest in but many other people do.

Last edited:
•••
I fully acknowledge that numbers matter to marketing geniuses: How many customers? Cost of acquisition? Retention rate?

What I said was that anyone using number of registrations as a barometer of anything to determine investment grade potential of a domain. Admit it - it's not going to change your mind is it? You think Ms Domainer is looking at the numbers to figure out whether she should buy Jennifer.xyz? I doubt it.

So what does it matter to you? Do you check how many domains GoDaddy has under management and argue that's because they give away loss leading coupons? Do you routinely check .info numbers? Do you even care about .co? For a while that was touch and go whether they reached 1,000,000 and even when... people doubted.

Why are sites keeping track? They probably have ads for GoDaddy, Dynadot, Sedo on their page. Perhaps they want to become an authority on a subject? Maybe it helps them in their domaining career? I don't - why don't we ask them. Maybe it's just to keep you happy :)

You approach domains with an "investment" hat always and forever - you believe the whole thing is a money rush and I partially agree. But do the numbers hurt anyone? Are the numbers violating any laws or agreements? If they do then THAT is an issue. Inflating numbers is just that - inflating numbers. I have multiple car dealers near me insisting they are the largest volume dealer in the State! Perhaps I should check their numbers... might be buying from them under false pretenses!

So the method of inflating numbers matters... if GoDaddy just gave everyone a 99c coupon automatically .... then we would say that they're artificially inflating their domains under management to appear better and they should stop?

Who cares when they added the domain? If you're not being charged for it? If you don't like it then you drop it or delete it.

if you can't you just leave it there like an annoying appendix.

But ultimately you're not complaining about any of that. You're complaining because they have artificially high registration counts. You're complaining about something happening at a registrar you will never ever use because they have other much bigger issues. You're complaining about their business model? Their business model is STUPID. Their business model is REALLY REALLY STUPID.

If people get charged, if people have some legal right trampled on (which they may, I haven't look at the registrar/registry agreements) then there is certainly a bigger issue but no one is talking about that. It seems that the issue people have is over some childish registration count because we're all trying to keep score on who's right and wrong in the gTLD opinion stakes :)

I am saying this thread is stupid and contributing to it which makes me stupider, I think. :)

This kind of sneaky behavior drags our industry down, which, admittedly, is already somewhere between lawyers and used car salespeople, maybe lower.

Yes, it matters when numbers are padded artificially, because in this biz, numbers matter. Right or wrong, people make decisions based on numbers because real numbers are one indicator of potential success. False numbers are deceptive and can lead naive people to make investments based on shifting sands.

I chose not to reg any .xyz because it doesn't appeal to me aesthetically, and I don't think I could sell it. But some people look to numbers as a main metric...

If you think this thread is stupid, that's fine with me, but we shouldn't go away and yawn at such unethical behavior and let it slide.

"Boys will be boys." UGH!

Yes, Go Daddy offers cheapie coupons for .coms with the hope of building numbers and drawing in new customers. I see nothing wrong with that because it's not done on the sly. It's a symbiotic relationship that works for both sides, probably more so for GD. Well, that's okay because I'm aware enough to know that I have registered a domain and, thus, I can let it slide and expire next year. I also have full control of the domain, so whatever comes down on me is my fault.

But at Net Sol, for the customer who has .xyz in his/her account and doesn't even know it, what happens if Net Sol places some dodgy or TM infringing ads on it, and a URS or UDRP is placed against the registrant, then what? It comes down on the registrant, while the registrar and registry get off, scot-free, laughing all the way to the bank.

This has nothing to do with liking or disliking a gTLD -- you won't see me hanging out at the .pink thread, spreading "hate" about it. To each her/his own, I say.

I have expressed my overall opinion on the "g's," an opinion that has shifted to the negative over the past few months, but I have said my piece on that.

This situation is different; I'm not expressing an opinion on a "hater" thread -- this matters to all of us.

•••
"There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary."

•••
"There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary."

Can't tell if that was a serious comment or not, but obviously incorrect.

•••
No interest in buying .xyz, but I'm wondering how they've thought this through:

If you reg the .com and automatically get the XYZ, then grace delete the .com, will the .xyz stay around?

Will register.com be auto-renewing these XYZ domains next year?

•••
If you reg the .com and automatically get the XYZ, then grace delete the .com, will the .xyz stay around?
Don't know, but it kind of reminds me of that age-old question, "What came first, the chicken or the cheesy gTLD CEO?"

Last edited:
•••
This kind of sneaky behavior drags our industry down, which, admittedly, is already somewhere between lawyers and used car salespeople, maybe lower.
There are lawyers and used car dealers all over the world feeling terribly slighted :)

But at Net Sol, for the customer who has .xyz in his/her account and doesn't even know it, what happens if Net Sol places some dodgy or TM infringing ads on it, and a URS or UDRP is placed against the registrant, then what? It comes down on the registrant, while the registrar and registry get off, scot-free, laughing all the way to the bank.

The parked page has links to remove TM data and state that it is owned by Network Solutions .... but I don't foresee anyone laughing to the bank on a newly minted .xyz domain.

If you get a UDRP it would likely be on the .com (as they match lotd)

This all stinks worse than limburger left in the sun too long.. and I'm not demeaning your enthusiasm - it just seems this story has received far more press than it deserves.

•••

You're right, DU:

I shouldn't insult lawyers and used car salespeople by comparing them to domainers.

D-:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back