IT.COM

new gtlds Are new gTLDs hurting ".com" investors' business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
As a fan of new gTLDs, I frankly admit that I like to tease ".com" domainers but I often note that it then turns to "hate" so I wonder what is the reason for this. The number one reason why some people hate new gTLDs so much is - to me - that it hurts their business (and I totally understand this) but if this reason is wrong, then, what is it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have said it many times before. Your make it a habbit to comment on any thread related to nGTLD's it's like you feel the need to constantly thrash talk anything related to nGTLD's. It's a total waste of time because you have a one track mind on the matter... Your eyeballs in your head are unfortunatley only trained to see and take notice of what you want it to see.

As usual, your reply usually involves whining about new gtlds being picked on, instead of addressing what I actually post.

You actually say stuff like - "in your world .IO is not a new GTLD"

Do facts matter to you? It's not a new gtld. I understand some of you want to lump it in with them to help make the numbers look better.

Even above:
"They also just have annoucned that they raised $180 million on their ICO (EOS.io) breaking previous record of $150 million held by another ICO.

Common practice for ICO's to use nGTLD's.'

You were trying to sneak .io in there.

Last edited:
•••
As usual, your reply usually involves whining about new gtlds being picked on, instead of addressing what I actually post.

Do facts matter to you? It's not a new gtld. I understand some of you want to lump it in with them to help make the numbers look better.

No, as always your one track mind and tunnel vision makes it pointless discussing the matter with you.

.IO is a generic domain, sure it's not a nGTLD and instead it's a gCCTLD... whoopi, you are right, well done. Would you like a gold star and hug or something..

The fact still remains, it's common practice for ICO's and Crypto related companies to use nGTLD's

Last edited:
•••

Even above:
"They also just have annoucned that they raised $180 million on their ICO (EOS.io) breaking previous record of $150 million held by another ICO.

Common practice for ICO's to use nGTLD's.'

You were trying to sneak .io in there.

Sneak .IO in where?... you mean MENTIONING .IO is sneaking it in? ... lol ..

•••
ALL 2L.TLDs are ccTLDs apriori (they are reserved/allowed by ICANN only for this purpose).
They are matching ISO-codes of certain territories.

Last edited:
•••
The only one abnormal ccTLD is .SU
But I hope it will be deleted in future like was done with former Yugoslavian .YU

•••
Regarding this thread...
Yes, .com prices are trending down... slowly but surely...
I see this even when checking domains daily at Dynadot...
Such .com BINs were simply unreal even a few years ago...

•••
There's only one pie so it's gotta hurt a bit but ngtld's have such a tiny piece of it that it's hardly noticeable.

If it weren't for defensive registrations they'd have gone under by now.

•••
25 ongoing ICO's?

So you base your "research" on 25 ongoing ICO's and claim my statement is not true?... do you know how many ICO's are currently running, how many are schedueld and how many have run already? What do you know about ICO's? Are you actively part of the Cryto community?

https://icotracker.net/past

Even that link doesn't come close to covering all of them...

most or many ICOs are pump and dump scams and don't care much about their web presence of course they go with a cheap URL.

You make it seem like the hottest startups or most prestigious fortune 500 companies are going with .whatever,that is not the case

most of the larger and established crypto companies use a .com. Infact almost all of the leading use .com or ccTLD.

Last edited:
•••
most or many ICOs are pump and dump scams and don't care much about their web presence of course they go with a cheap URL.

You make it seem like the hottest startups or most prestigious fortune 500 companies are going with .whatever,that is not the case

most or many ICO's are pump and dump scams?? .. absolute hogwash, where are you getting your information from??.. the majority of them are legit.. as with anything there are a few bad apples... same applies to any industry.

I never made it seem like anything ..I was clear about ICO's and Crypto companies ... only person bringing up fortune500 cmopanies or hottest startups is you.

Last edited:
•••
There's only one pie so it's gotta hurt a bit but ngtld's have such a tiny piece of it that it's hardly noticeable.

If it weren't for defensive registrations they'd have gone under by now.

Plus - https://ntldstats.com/country

46.93% China.

22.97% Whois Proxy (unknown registrant) so some might be Chinese, so let's say about half from just 1 country.

•••

46.93% China.

22.97% Whois Proxy (unknown registrant) so some might be Chinese, so let's say about half from just 1 country.

It's interesting to look at each countries top choices of which extension. For example Gibraltar has .reviews, uk has .london at top but .online and .club .xyz and many others all the way down the list of 100 to .video at 674 reg's. .horse is missing. Cook islands mostly registered in China using that countries address. France chose .XYZ 54,000 regs, Japan 93,000 XYZ versus 19,000 .tokyo . Germany has reverse with the geo 15,000 .berlin and .xyz is 1500 only. Russia chooses 169,000 .xyz versus only 14,000 .moscow. .online, .top appear in the top extensions most countries. The US adoption is 371,000 for .top more than 296,000 .xyz. .law and .lawyer have under 7,000 each. Funny to read through all of them.

•••

46.93% China.

The same old story... Stop mixing all New gTLDs into one!

But anyway it's a good point, which I noticed two years ago, and that's why 90% of my domains are...
.Life .World etc...

1.png

2.png

namestat.org

•••
Don't forget, that Chineses live not only in China... and they invest not only from China...

•••
p.s. .life and .world are good theoretically, but still without offers for me...

•••
Russia chooses 169,000 .xyz versus only 14,000 .moscow
Russians are mostly using .xyz for black SEO... spam... and as TLD for beginners...
You may ignore this stats completely.

•••
Russians are mostly using .xyz for black SEO... spam... and as TLD for beginners...
You may ignore this stats completely.

Thats a shame they aren't more productive websites for such an intelligent country not making better use than that stuff on the net.

•••
.RU is #1 for them... for many years... and no any changes here... like .DE in Germany and .PL in Poland...
Also .PRO is popular among Russian companies... already even more than .com
All other TLDs - just for enthusiasts OR for purposes mentioned above...

Last edited:
•••
Are new gTLDs hurting ".com" investors' business?
Short version: no!
The more new gTLD's, the merrier! (y)
This coming from a guy who sticks exclusively to .COM's :xf.grin::xf.grin:

•••
They are hurting domaining (aftermarket) overall...
~ the same demand as it was 3 years ago but a HUGE supply... So all TLDs are trending down incl. .com
And keep in mind ~2020 when ICANN will launch next portion of them...

Only monetization is relatively stable and really remains profitable...

•••
Before 2015 .me was very interesting TLD in terms of profit... Many regular 4-figure sales... incl. LLL.me
Today - enduser demand on .me is very low and almost all sales are in 3-figure range...
It is just 1 example... how aftermarket is changing...

Last edited:
•••
Apple.whatever, Walmart.whatever, Verizon.whatever, don't see it happening.

•••
I think this is a great point.

I do believe that .org has its place, particularly for non-profits, but .net, .info, etc are becoming more irrelevant, and now those three are getting closer in value to everything else.

Do you recommend dropping .net, .org, .info?

•••
Apple, Walmart, Verizon etc. - it is not even 1% of all endusers on this planet...
When you have millions and billions - you may stick to .com easily...

Last edited:
•••
•••
Does Apple own .apple? They could substitute Apple.com for Apple.apple. So maybe they'll change their company name to Apple Apple.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back