IT.COM

new gtlds Are new gTLDs hurting ".com" investors' business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

guillon

Established Member
Impact
As a fan of new gTLDs, I frankly admit that I like to tease ".com" domainers but I often note that it then turns to "hate" so I wonder what is the reason for this. The number one reason why some people hate new gTLDs so much is - to me - that it hurts their business (and I totally understand this) but if this reason is wrong, then, what is it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You know Deez, I like you and what you have to say. I understand what you are saying generally, that the new Extensions, are new. Progressive? Maybe. Confusing? Yes. The world now is saturated. It is awash with confusion and we all are being bombarded from so many dirrections of instantaneous ways and platforms of communications, news, information, investments, 1000's of apps that do the same thing, etc. but only some of them dominate, and are the only thing as a "brand" that sticks in your head- whatsapp, Kleenex, Windex, Dow, NBC, CBS, Facebook, g oogle, wordpress, and everything else are also-rans, non or semi competitive.

Unfortunately, this the reality, as I like competition. I wish there was more acceptance, but the laws of maketing and human behavior are predictable.

The Goo gle EU slap and antitrust fine today, is a good thing but it will probably not stick. The microsoft antitrust trial years back was a joke too, it didnt change anything or punish them for putting Netscape out or hundreds of others. Amazon is this monster changing the world too, much in the same way it brings ease and convenience and also devours competition. Alibaba and BangGood are also rans in the west. Youtube dominates, read today 1 billion views per x time period... how many others can you name? Vimeo maybe. Household name brands need standards, and it is set. .com.

Comparing Windows 98 = .com versus Windows 10 = .Horse is kinda absurb don't you think?

The joke above is a very famous event. I am an old fart. You probably don't recall it. It actually made the word CoolAid a household name, just like .com is a household name. It also made the phrase "drinking the CoolAid" famous for things that the masses get sucked into doing, like Lemmings walking off in droves off a cliff. People were duped into this tragic event by a snakeoil salesman, like so many evangelists of whatever they are trying to sell.

I find this topic to be amusing really. As stated before, it seems like a shame that people don't understand how markets work. Sure, Uber disrupts traditional thinking. But .Horse? .whatever? Does it disrupt or is it a mistake? Time will tell.

Maybe after 10 more years of regging .horse and feeding the .whateveregistry, some people will wake up and see it was a failed experiment. The world has quite a few crazy electrical plugs and 2 basic voltage ranges for the past 100 years. When traveling, people need to remember which one to use. There are several standards. The new Gtlds will maybe wind up with a few remaining, like electrical plugs once everyone gets used to them. .net, .org and the ccTlds will be also rans as far as value to .com. Maybe... .club, .shop, .store, .property etc will survive. But it is going to a long time of regging .horse and .guitar for them to be of investor value. This is the market. Read the book I suggested before.

Like I've said before, its a standard. People are used to it, its automatic. It passes the radio test ( stupid cliche term that is), it requires no explanation, it has market dominance, people use the new extensions to forward to .com's.

What the OP wants is some big emotional response, not one of logic. So I posted the Joke.

I wish the best to .horse. Reality is that it will wind up like the famous scene in the godfather...

This is the biggest challenge, people need to seperate nGTLD's and not paint them all with the same brush...there ar 100's of them and too many people assume that some of us who invest in nGTLD's are buying just about any nGTLD... this is not the case.. I only invest in some of them, the ones that make sense.. and I know many of the sharp nGTLD investors are doing the same.. not grabbing the silly .donkey or .horse ... the ones that stand out are .club , .online . global and a few others... also keep in mind that many of us nGTLD investors are also .com and cctld investors, we are not soley invested in nGTLD's... I have an long long background in marketing as well as well and even more so in human behavior. This is the exact reason why I invest in nGTLD's.

•••
Your example is highly flawed...

Look at at the domain in my signature... Consulting.Global

The equivalent .com would be ConsultingGlobal.com (without the www) add the www to the .global domain and they are the same length

www.Consulting.Global
ConsultingGlobal.com

When people become more familiar with nGTLD's then we can drop the www and it will just be Consulting.Global - with the com, thats as short as it's ever going to get.

thank you for your example.... 99% of my non domaining friends/family/forum members would not know what Consulting.Global IS!

You would NEED www.consulting.global and then you would have questions about .global, and you explain that, and then they go.

When I see Consulting.Global, I would easily first assume you messed up and put a . in there by typo.

The only ones that have hope are Consulting.net, .org, .co, .co, .pro, a few CCTLDs.

But a tld that is MORE than 3 chars is business suicide.... at least for the foreseeable future.

Look, I like some tlds, I even have my first name in .me, .im, I own a few specific .photos and .pics, and my main corporation is a .media.... 2A.Media

Most folks do not know that it is a website and I have to explain with www.2a.media

And of course, I am trying to acquire 2amedia.com.... because let's be honest....

•••
.horse is a joke as always the worst case example.

Ok, but .Center. close to .Horse imho.
.store and .tours you maybe might sell in a few years. I hope you do sell them and retire comfortably. You just need to get on the phone to sell them.

Ok, I appreciate your view on .center , I own one which is Brake.Center and I do like it. It is actually a fellow member`s favorite on my portfolio. :)

That`s right, You need to get in to an action to sell your assets. You need to contact the right person at the company. Sales needs attention and care and always a good research - sourcing too!

Thank you for your best wishes.

I am not looking to retire any time soon I really enjoy doing this (y)

•••
thank you for your example.... 99% of my non domaining friends/family/forum members would not know what Consulting.Global IS!

You would NEED www.consulting.global and then you would have questions about .global, and you explain that, and then they go.

When I see Consulting.Global, I would easily first assume you messed up and put a . in there by typo.

The only ones that have hope are Consulting.net, .org, .co, .co, .pro, a few CCTLDs.

But a tld that is MORE than 3 chars is business suicide.... at least for the foreseeable future.

Look, I like some tlds, I even have my first name in .me, .im, I own a few specific .photos and .pics, and my main corporation is a .media.... 2A.Media

Most folks do not know that it is a website and I have to explain with www.2a.media

And of course, I am trying to acquire 2amedia.com.... because let's be honest....

Thats interesting... cos I'm in South Africa and folks here are generally a little behind when it comes to technology, especially internet related tech. I often play around and test the water with public awareness with friends and family and even strangers... I would say that around here it's not a case that 99% of them not knowing... it's more like 60% of them don't know and 40% of them know immediatley it's a URL. (I test with .global, .online and .club...mainly)

Also, for the record...I have turned down 2 seperate low $xxxx offers on Consulting.Global

Last edited:
•••
Of course, that's all well and good, but yourname.com has to be available and if available, not be cost prohibitive to purchase! If it's not available, or priced too high on the resale market, yourname.newgTLD will most likely work just as well at a fraction of the cost. But that's not even what we are talking about. These threads are consistently overrun with new gTLD haters, using these same old arguments that are not even pertinent to the question being asked!

Only @Casey L. answered the question in his opinion.

The same old arguments are made in every one of these threads. We all know most end users, would prefer to have their preferred domain name in .com. That's not what this thread is about!

It's about how many end users will choose to brand on a new gTLD because their preferred .com is taken, their preferred .com is cost prohibitive or they just see the value in a new gTLD, because it just works. And because of these factors it's only natural that the more end users opt for a new gTLD the less .com's will be sold on the aftermarket. It's Economics 101! Supply and Demand. There is an over supply of quality names on the market now because of the new gTLD program, therefore placing price and volume pressure on the aftermarket for .com's. But this may not apply to you, and if it doesn't congratulations, you're doing better than most.

There is over 1,100 new gTLD's and counting! And yes, we know some are not good, some will not last, some are good, and a few are great. They are ALL not going away. Most are likely, here to stay, forever and will eventually be as common as your beloved .com. The new gTLD haters love to group all 1,100 new gTLD's in the same boat! Nothing could be more ridiculous than that! And so if your answer to the question @guillon asks is, "No, the overabundance and availability of new gTLD's is not hurting my .com sales!", then state so and move on, without the "I hate new gTLD diatribes" that have become a running theme in every new gTLD thread on NamePros! It's getting old guys!

Put your business owner hat on now. I am going to explain why I would rather have a different .com then a different TLD.

You own ABCWidgets. You want to have ABCwidgets.com, but unfortunately it is registered. As per your suggestions, I would get ABCWidgets.Pro/Org/whatever, or hack it to ABC.Widgets.

As a Business owner. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I am going to take a second tier TLD.... why?

I am talking to MR. Prospect.... at some point Mr. Prospect is going to search for my company... he is going to go to google and search for ABC Widgets, where my TLD may appear or not, or more than likely, he is FIRST going to go to ABCWidgets.com.... MY COMPETITION.

To prevent that, I would need to tell Mr Prospect not to go to .com but to go to .xyz. In either case, having ANYTHING but .com is competition. Especially when the top tier TLDs are taken up by your competittors.

What Mr. Business owner would and should do is get a different domain where he owns .com, and can register .net/.org just to lock out his competitors.

Anyone here still go to O.co? Nope, I go to Overstock.com.

•••
Thats interesting... cos I'm in South Africa and folks here are generally a little behind when it comes to technology, especially internet related tech. I often play around and test the water with public awareness with friends and family and even strangers... I would say that around here it's not a that 99% of them not knowing... it's more like 60% of them don't know and 40% if them know immediatley it's a URL. (I test with .global, .online and .club...mainly)

Also, for the record...I have turned down 2 seperate low $xxxx offers on Consulting.Global

Outside of United States it would be easier... because you guys are used to CCTlds.... and weird ones like .com.uk er .uk.com

In the States... Nope.

My primary gig is Financial Services and Investment Advisory, I have YET to see anyone with an email ending in anything but .com or .org. And only saw one .pro in an unrelated business.

•••
•••
Outside of United States it would be easier... because you guys are used to CCTlds.... and weird ones like .com.uk er .uk.com

In the States... Nope.

My primary gig is Financial Services and Investment Advisory, I have YET to see anyone with an email ending in anything but .com or .org. And only saw one .pro in an unrelated business.

Lol.. really.... We are used to ccTLD's? Not sure how often you travel to South Africa or how many South African friends you have but they have been lying to you if thats what they have been telling you.

Our ccTLD is co.za not sure what "wierd" ones you are talking about. Apart from co.za.. .com . net are also very popular here

As far as Americans are concerend...I run an online marketing company and all my clients are US anf UK based. They dont seem to have any problems identifying a URL when it has a nGTLD extention.... the last time I was in the US was 2014, I do recall seeing 2 different .global domain being used at the SEMA car show. It was the same year .global had launched and I took notice of it because I found it interesting...

Last edited:
•••
for the Global.... were those offers from end Users? You know, actual decision makers, or from domain investor?

I have yet to see any serious company use a secondary TLD. Especially with more than 3 characters.

The only reason I use .media is because I have 2A.... and 2A Media is my corporate name. I fit the domain around my company name. If it was anything else... such as

JoeSmoe Media.... I would rather have JoeSmoeMedia.com, over JoeSmoe.Media.

The funny part as I explained in other posts, at least 4 or 5 websites where I tried to signup/register with my .media email did not let me.... and I had to use another domain with .com.

Trust me, I am a FAN of many of these new TLDs.... but from the business sense, I would not recommend them to a client, especially when a .com is avail.

There is no credit to being forward thinking. lol, especially at the expense of business.

•••
Lol.. really.... We are used to ccTLD's? Not sure how often you travel to South Africa or how many South African friends you have but they have been lying to you if thats what they have been telling you.

Our ccTLD is co.za not sure what "wierd" ones you are talking about.

As far as Americans are concerend...I run an online marketing company and all my clients are US anf UK based. They dont seem to have any problems identifying a URL when it has a nGTLD extention.... the last time I was in the US was 2014, I do recall seeing 2 different .global domain being used at the SEMA car show. It was the same year .global had launched and I took notice of it because I found it interesting...

Was talking broadly, outside of US... where in general, ccTLD are more prevalent than the new "weird" ones. =P

Show me a Fortune 1000 company who is using anything but .com for their primary site. =)

more importantly, those companies that have .global..... ask how many of them now regret it or would rather have the .com. =)

Another example is .realty .... you would figure realtors would be all over it... nope.
.pics/photos/photo/photography..... natural right? I don't know of many photographers who are using it.
.ws?
.Pro? That one is at least popular in Eastern Europe and Latin America.
.PW? lol.
.XYZ? lol.

Last edited:
•••
Put your business owner hat on now. I am going to explain why I would rather have a different .com then a different TLD.

You own ABCWidgets. You want to have ABCwidgets.com, but unfortunately it is registered. As per your suggestions, I would get ABCWidgets.Pro/Org/whatever, or hack it to ABC.Widgets.

As a Business owner. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I am going to take a second tier TLD.... why?

I am talking to MR. Prospect.... at some point Mr. Prospect is going to search for my company... he is going to go to google and search for ABC Widgets, where my TLD may appear or not, or more than likely, he is FIRST going to go to ABCWidgets.com.... MY COMPETITION.

To prevent that, I would need to tell Mr Prospect not to go to .com but to go to .xyz. In either case, having ANYTHING but .com is competition. Especially when the top tier TLDs are taken up by your competittors.

What Mr. Business owner would and should do is get a different domain where he owns .com, and can register .net/.org just to lock out his competitors.

Anyone here still go to O.co? Nope, I go to Overstock.com.
I have the business hat on. - Let`s start...

my main corporation is a .media.... 2A.Media

I think .media is really good for branding your main corporation. and it shouldn`t be so hard to type www.2A.Media - It looks like an innovative company behind the domain but for google ranking you need to work on SEO and Content.

If you don`t own the 2Amedia.com than this is the best option you have to own.

Apparently .com version is owned by an asian company and it is active.

I wouldn`t register a trademark where the dot com is taken but I may register it if I have 2A.Media option.

Last edited:
•••
for the Global.... were those offers from end Users? You know, actual decision makers, or from domain investor?

I have yet to see any serious company use a secondary TLD. Especially with more than 3 characters.

The only reason I use .media is because I have 2A.... and 2A Media is my corporate name. I fit the domain around my company name. If it was anything else... such as

JoeSmoe Media.... I would rather have JoeSmoeMedia.com, over JoeSmoe.Media.

The funny part as I explained in other posts, at least 4 or 5 websites where I tried to signup/register with my .media email did not let me.... and I had to use another domain with .com.

Trust me, I am a FAN of many of these new TLDs.... but from the business sense, I would not recommend them to a client, especially when a .com is avail.

There is no credit to being forward thinking. lol, especially at the expense of business.

How about one of the largest car rental companies in the world?

They also use this as their primary domain for their Google adsense campaign... they also own the .com as well.. but use this as their primary domain now.
https://www.sixt.global

Now let me explain how brand awareness is created... people seeing this car rental site. (a few million per year) will learn that .global is a new website extention... when they see it again.. they will know it's a URL

Last edited:
•••

They also use this as their primary domain for their Google adsense campaign... they also own the .com as well.. but use this as their primary domain now.

Now let me explain how brand awareness is created... people using the this car rental site. (a few million per year) will learn that .global is a new website extention... when they see it again.. they will know it's a URL

Awesome for Sixt.... but perhaps a US thing... they are a minority player here...

Try another. =P

But they also use the .com and where I always went... but never rented with them.

I am sure there are token examples out there... but let's be honest... using anything but .com is a hurdle.... that is why Sixt has the .com... obviously they see value in it.

Hyundai made crap cars for years, it took decades but folks are now accepting them.
the new TLDs may have a future, but it will take decades for them to get general acceptance. I do wish they do... but as a business owner, it is a risk to go beyond .com.

I was fairly active in the .pro discussions, but very few end users adopted .pro. Even less end users are adopting and developing the other TLDs.

If you can pick up great one word domains, absolutely, they will have a use... but it may be A LONG long while for them to have any value. For every one Consulting.Global.... there are hundreds if not thousands of crap domains.

•••

I think .media is really good for branding your main corporation. and it shouldn`t be so hard to type www.2A.Media - It looks like an innovative company behind the domain but for google ranking you need to work on SEO and Content.

I wouldn`t register a trademark where the dot com is taken but I may register it if I have 2A.Media option.

Thanks. Yes. 2A.Media is me and part of the reason, okay, majority of the reason for it is that it was easy to remember and it was a 2 character domain that would have some end users.... the $80 per year renewal though is sucky lol.

Never intended to develop it, but just need something up..... Actually threw it up halfway done a few days ago just to have something as I am starting to do outbound.

2A is for the Second Amendment.... yes I am one of those gun loving, freedom loving Americans. lol. (who was born and raised in the former soviet union).

•••
As a fan of new gTLDs, I frankly admit that I like to tease ".com" domainers but I often note that it then turns to "hate" so I wonder what is the reason for this. The number one reason why some people hate new gTLDs so much is - to me - that it hurts their business (and I totally understand this) but if this reason is wrong, then, what is it?

so whats your reason for feeling this need to publically "tease" an extension like .com? is .com hurting your ngtld business? ;)

•••
e
Awesome for Sixt.... but perhaps a US thing... they are a minority player here...

Try another. =P

But they also use the .com and where I always went... but never rented with them.

I am sure there are token examples out there... but let's be honest... using anything but .com is a hurdle.... that is why Sixt has the .com... obviously they see value in it.

Hyundai made crap cars for years, it took decades but folks are now accepting them.
the new TLDs may have a future, but it will take decades for them to get general acceptance. I do wish they do... but as a business owner, it is a risk to go beyond .com.

I was fairly active in the .pro discussions, but very few end users adopted .pro. Even less end users are adopting and developing the other TLDs.

If you can pick up great one word domains, absolutely, they will have a use... but it may be A LONG long while for them to have any value. For every one Consulting.Global.... there are hundreds if not thousands of crap domains.

There are many more companies using nGTLD's apart from Sixth... lots of them.. and yes large multinational companies too. It's midnight here now and I would rather hit the sack than look for more examples for you :)

As mentoned earlier...I have already turned down 2 low $xxxx offers (when I say low I mean highest being $3000) on consulting.global- 1 end user and 1 investor... apart from the two offers I have had about 7 enquires on consulting.global ... I don't know if they were end users or domainers.. so you are incorrect about it taking a LONG LONG while for them to have value...hmm they already have value....its just a matter of me wating it out now until I get a price that I'm happy with.

•••
•••
so whats your reason for feeling this need to publically "tease" an extension like .com? is .com hurting your ngtld business? ;)
No dot com actually helps new gTLDs to sell.

You can see a good example above.. :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
I have an long long background in marketing as well as well and even more so in human behavior. This is the exact reason why I invest in nGTLD's.

If you have a backround like that, then you realize that good marketing is the law of perception, not of products, specs and facts. You are not fighting a battle of reality.

I hope you sell them all and are profitable and make a bunch of krugerrands with them! Then when that happens your sale goes on Dnjournal and you
report here that :

A. A real profitable company bought it (not another domainer) , and...

B. the company is using it for their website and email and it does not forward to a .com.

That day, will mean the new extensions stand on their own.

•••

Now let me explain how brand awareness is created... people seeing this car rental site. (a few million per year) will learn that .global is a new website extention... when they see it again.. they will know it's a URL

The also own the sixt dot com for the unpaid organic search, both sites offer nearly the same. I assume they probably use .global extension to track their adsense budget and lead generation tracking, which is a good idea to separate them. Those who pay to find them versus those that don't. They also own a number of other sixt ccTld's .ie, .co.uk, etc.

•••
i think it hurt the; org, net, info, pro, etc - if anything

•••

To be clear, you would register a .media let's say lion.media, when there was a live site/business on lionmedia.com? If so, that's horrible advice. Just come up with another name. You will lose some traffic to the .com, how much is up for debate. Then the possibility of issues with the .com owner.

•••
•••
I know of one veteran domainer who always advises new domainers to desist from new gTLDs. He does it politely and with facts. He always says something like “I like to look after the little guy”. I listened to him and started buying more .COMs.

Then there is a crowd of abusive domainers who are always bashing new gTLDs and abusing the “fools” who invest in them. To be honest, sometimes I find their comments a bit funny. I don’t think they are driven by “concern” or feel threatened. Some people just like to bash what they don’t like and they can be quite virulent. Many of these guys assume people who buy new gTLDs are "anti-dotCOM"; no we aren't. We also buy lots of .COMs. Just spreading our risks and we aren't afraid to try out something new.

I don’t think new gTLDs threaten .COMs. I have studied sales figures for some of the top new tlds and the sales are far between and really low for premium domain names. The best investment is still .COM.

However, when I find a great new gTLD, I always snap them ASAP!

Some of my recent newgTLD acquisitions:-

Altright.men

Careers.men

Snuggle.shop

Antonio.life

Screwing.men

Quadcopter.guide

Wales.world

Glasgow.world

I welcome reasonable offers from fellow new gTLD lovers :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
The also own the sixt dot com for the unpaid organic search, both sites offer nearly the same. I assume they probably use .global extension to track their adsense budget and lead generation tracking, which is a good idea to separate them. Those who pay to find them versus those that don't. They also own a number of other sixt ccTld's .ie, .co.uk, etc.

They use the .global domain on their TV ad campaigns as well ... it is one of their primary domains.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back