Dynadot

Are dot nets and dot orgs worth much?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I get the impression that, except for exceptional .net/.org domain names (short/ brandable etc) that its not really worth buying these names.

If you look at domains that have sold on Afternic, for example, very few are not .coms.

Is it worth buying them if the dot com is gone? I'm not sure that, in general, there is a market for them (at least at the moment). Am I right?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You'll see hundreds of posts about how .com is king, and there's really no argument. It is.

Personally, I find .net and .org to be increasingly less valuable (of course a generic domain would still be very nice). I find that .info and .tv are quickly becoming solid extensions (well, not quickly IMHO, they already are).

You will find debate on which extensions beyond .com are the best. Above is my opinion.

D

Last edited:
•••
I think .info's are strong with keywords that make a domain just sound right. Ex:

analsex.info

creditcards.info

These names just sound right with their keyword topic added with .info imho.

•••
•••
HBK216 said:
creditcards.info

:gn:

imo .net is the second best after .com.

Last edited:
•••
.com obviously rules. .net is a great second choice for commercial type websites, but I think that in certain cases .org is better than .net.

You only need to look at LLL values to see the difference in prices.
# 3-Letter .com - $1950 (+ $100 since February 7, 2006 report)
# 3-Letter .net - $335 (+ $15 since February 7, 2006 report)
# 3-Letter .org - $145 (+ $15 since February 7, 2006 report)
# 3-Letter .info - $85
# 3-Letter .biz - $35
# 3-Letter .us - $30

.com x6 compared to .net, 13x compared to .org.

As for .tv, I think it only works in the right context - ie domains referring to TV.
.info is a good fourth choice if .com.net.org are taken, for informational websites.

I still struggle to see the value of .biz - personally I hate that extension, and can't believe it is 5th runner in value.

And as for .us, again I'm not sure that it will ever get the value that even .org is at right now.

•••
I think it is worth buying a .net or a .org name if .com is gone. .net is the most preferred extension after .com for commercial purposes. .org and .info are next preferred extensions.

•••
Generally if you have the choice then get the .com. If the name is very good and it's available in other extentions then I would still reg them but as mentioned above make sure that the name fits the extension - eg. antiques.biz may fit better than antiques.org and environmental.org might sound better than environmental.com so I guess value isn't necessarily dependant on the domain value ranking although in most cases it is.

I seem to have sold more .nets and .infos than .coms - because I find it near impossible to pick up really good .coms for regfee

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back