NameSilo

Are 4 CHAR .coms worth much?

SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

RickM

VIP Member
Impact
39
Hi all,

i am just pondering over a few domains and was wondering - do 4 letter .com domains go for alot?

Thanks,

Rick.M
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
primacomputer said:
Sure, there are plenty of 4 letter names that are worth a lot. Cash.com, info.com jobs.com. Each worth a fortune.

There are far more that are worth a lot less. And many that are worth nothing. A good example of latter would be the 80,000 (yes, 80,000 not 1,000) that are still available and most of the 100,000 that were registered in the last 12 month by suckers that believe a name is worth something simple because of it's length.

In principle then, a meaningless 3-letter .com should also be worth near to nothing, but I think the evidence points in the opposite direction re 'worth something simple because of it's length.' Agree, however, that eg QZVK.com might not be worth too much
 
0
•••
Meaningless 3 chars have no real value. They are owned exclusively by speculators who trade them amongst themselves. This is strictly because people have been told that they are worth something due to their limited length, limited supply, etc -- Probably a story cooked up by the registrars to boost sales of names that would otherwise never sell.

Sure, some speculators have made money selling to other speculators.
That's the way a bubble works. Unfortunately unlike other bubbles (is stock, real estate, etc) there is no demand for these names outside this small group of speculators. The actual value of the names is the same as it was before these voodoo economics stories about “supply, demand, and scarcity” started circulating.

Some guy made a fortune selling rocks by packaging them up and calling them pets. That didn't make rocks any more valuable It just made him very rich and many people a tiny bit poorer.

Personally I think there are better odds of a company called Queer Zebra Video King paying money for a crappy 4L than finding a company that can use j7q.com.

Also, bear in mind that a lot of these “crappy” letters like Q, Z, J, etc are only crappy in English. They're great in other languages. Particularly Chinese. Hang on to a crap 4L for a few years and you at least have a chance of a high value sale. Hang on to a crap 3C for a few years and you'll be lucky to break even.
 
0
•••
Primacomputer you make a good point about "crappy" letters. Does anyone know what are the "good" letters in all the major languages?
 
0
•••
I finally let my four letter .com expire after trying for months to dump it for $100, then $80, then $60 (my initial investment), and finally not even getting an offer at $40. This was in the last year or so too.

AZCM.com

I actualy liked it since I am in Arizona (AZ) and thought of many possibilities for companies (ie. Arizona Christian Ministries, Arizona Construction Management, Arizona Child Mentors, etc...)

Oh well.
 
0
•••
I have a few of them that I plan on developing but if I get offers than I'll give it up :)
 
0
•••
ebay.com is worth quite a bit too ;)

I like domains that are short, but also work verbally;

e.g. "lerb.com" is ok, but "vzyk.com" is instantly forgettable over the phone
 
0
•••
AIVikingsAIVikings

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back