Approaching End Users

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

jcmdcp

Established Member
Impact
1
I'm about to begin approaching possible end-users with a few of my domain names. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I'd like to know how they went about it. My questions are:
a) Who in a given company is usually responsible for buying domain names?
b) Is it better to contact by phone or email?
c) Should you ask them for an offer or should you have $$ in mind?
d) Anyone have a scripted letter that worked for them?

Thanks a lot. Will devote NP$ to the person who helps me sell a name once the name is sold. Appreciate any help.
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
I've emailed out over 100 in the past few weeks on one word domains that were the actual companies name and got no response. I've mailed out to domain owners who have .net .org .biz .info .us and I have the .com and 1 response. One case I email a US company that has .bz and I have .biz, again no response.

The one reply to all the emails I've sent out over the past month or so said they would pay $95 for the domain because "They weren't really looking for another domain." It was a name I really didn't want to sell that bad so I declined. From my personal experience it doesn't work and I think I may be loosing potential buyers buy contacting them first. I coud be wrong but thats just the way I'm beginning to see it.

I'm trying to look at it from the end-users eyes. If someone contacted me to sell a name I'm not going to drop hundreds or thousands of dollars if I wasn't actually looking for it. Once in a blue moon I'm sure it does happen but I guess that would depend on the domain.

Sitting and awaiting buyers for my better names I believe is the best route. Eventually someone will come along who really has a desire to pay what I wish for it. As far as domains I don't place alot of value on is another story. I would take the $95 offers all day long.

If you do decide to send out some emails you want to make sure first and foremost you aren't infringing upon their/a trademark. Make sure you get accross why you think the domain would be good for their company/site. I wouldn't suggest putting a price say something along the lines of "we're considering selling." It would also probably be in your benefit to not email from a domain such as "Iselldomainsforlotsofdough.com." What I mean here is send from a domain which doesn't let them know you are in the business of selling domains. The general public doesn't know this is a business. They believe anyone who has a domain other than one that pertains to their business is a "CyberSquatter."

Goodluck to you and your mailouts and hopefully your luck in them is better than mine. Mabey someone else will chime in who has had that better luck and let us both know what the trick is.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
^^ Good stuff!

GREAT reply Sublime :!: ... I'm pressed at the moment from making a more in-depth post, and will later p.m. To start, I think there are several things that one can do to improve their response / success rate, IMHO. :talk:

1.) FIRST ... Find the MOST relevant potential End users!! :gl:
2.) Call and get the EXACT NAME of the person who will be making the eventual decision.
3.) EMAIL that person a PERSONALIZED letter about your domain's availability.
4.) SHOW them how they and their company / image can be enhanced with the domain.
5.) Provide STATISTICS (for instance, the Overture "Bid Tool" for keyword type domains).
6.) Be HUMAN ... "same old same old" Form/Script Email's are fine for sending out lots of inquiries, but in my experience, those unique, personalized proposals work best, IMHO.
6.) EMBRACE failure (that's not a typo :laugh: ) ... just realize it happens, and once you become fearful of failing (as is bound to happen from time-to-time), the numbers will no longer be in your favor! Rather, LET the numbers work for you by staying in the game (recognize that sales will be few and far between for the most part), and NEVER stop contacting relevant End users.
7.) Be cool, be professional, and HAVE FUN selling 'em domains , folks! :music:

All the best!
:wave:
 
0
•••
Wow some really good advice
thanks Sublime and Rapidbox!
 
0
•••
i suggest that you search the forums here using "end-user" ;) i remember great articles on contacting end-users and actual sample emails....
 
0
•••
ANother member here suggest that you not contact htem to buy the domain outright. Rather, you put up an ebay auction and THEN contact them to bid, not to buy. This will most likely bring in more dollars than selling it outright. One who is not necessarily interesting in buying outright might bid and that brings the price up for the guy who comes along and really wants to win your auction.

But one of the above posts brings up a good point...they will not buy that which they have no intention of buying.

In order to sell somehting to someone who has no intention of buying is to be a good salesman and let's face it, the vast majprity of domain traders are good at regging good domains, but salesmanship is a completely different story.
 
0
•••
I mailed out like 10 emails 3 days ago and still no reply ... *sob*
 
0
•••
kw31 said:
I mailed out like 10 emails 3 days ago and still no reply ... *sob*

Did you call each of them first ... and get the Email address(es) of the final decision-maker(s)? :gl: :talk:
Thanks for sharing, and keep up the good work! :tu:
-Jeff B-)
 
0
•••
RapidBox.com said:
Did you call each of them first ... and get the Email address(es) of the final decision-maker(s)? :gl: :talk:
Thanks for sharing, and keep up the good work! :tu:
-Jeff B-)

Yeah I tried to call long distance to a few
Most didn't get through, but when I was talking to a particular one, she asked me back: "What's a domain?"

I didn't even know what to say :bah:
 
0
•••
Appraise.net

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

New in Parking: updated way to act on many domains or inquiries at once
Your domain list and inquiry list now have a bar above and below the list. Check the items you want, then choose an action in the bar...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back