NameSilo

advice Anyone Have any Great Advice for a Dog with Cancer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This is my buddy Bandit (aka My Shadow) and he has melanoma cancer in his mouth.
I found him digging in my trash can 9 years ago this Christmas and he has been spoiled every since.

607c4d43-3f5b-47d2-b3af-a9d3d343d005-original.jpg

He has had cancer now for about 5 months and it has got worse.
We have had one surgery already to remove the first large tumor in his mouth of the top of his tongue and now there is a much bigger one under his tongue.

We are seeing the vet again today to see about another surgery.

We have him on the following,

Palladia
B17 Amygdalin
CBC Oil
Turmeric
Vitamin C
Milk Thistle
And an all natural home cooked diet.

Nothing is working :xf.frown:

Has anyone had any luck with cancer with their dogs?

Why do dogs have to get all the illnesses we humans get? I hate it! :xf.frown:

This here use to be 4 of my kids, all spoiled with love and a life of soft beds and plenty of carpet to lay on :xf.grin:

My precious white female pit I had since she was 8 weeks old died at 10 years old of cancer 2 years ago :xf.cry:
My Siberian Husky I found when she darted out in front of my car I had for 7 years and she died 2 1/2 years ago from Lupus :xf.cry:
My Black Lab who I found when I also almost ran him over in 10 years ago and is still here (y)

9da6ae5b-40ca-4677-b2d9-6b43eee68ca3-original.jpg

These videos also have my 17 year old baby girl :xf.love:, she was a Pit/Dingo she had dementia the last year of her life :xf.frown:

I am desperate at this stage so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you all
Len

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Like most physicians most vets are also worried by liabilities arising out of their practice, at this Stage if you believe that you can trust your vet and that she really cares about your dog you might want to indicate to her that you are willing to release her from all liabilities as long as she promises to treat your dog as if it was her own. Although she is still required to adhere to the good practice guidelines for veterinarians, but at least she won't have to worry about getting sued by you and that might free up her hand to do more for your dog, but you have to be willing to accept the outcome regardless of which way it goes and just be satisfied knowing that your vet did her best to help. IMO

Hope everything goes well with the surgery,
Thanks oldtimer,
I agree, I have no problem releasing them of liability. I did drop Bandit off this morning for surgery but I didn't get to speak to the doctor, if she calls and says that she is hesitant to operate then I will bring this up and release her of any liability.

surgery will most likely make the cancers spread metasthases
100% agree Frank.

It almost always means metastasis, and if it wasn't in his mouth and preventing him from eating and drinking then I would probably only continue with the RSO but I am hoping this will clear his mouth of the tumors and then we will still continue with the RSO and maybe that will prevent metastasis.

So right now as I type this Bandit is at the vet either being operated on or waiting to be.

This is the moment where I am most worried, its like when astronauts re-enter through the atmosphere and there is no contact with them for a while and for a few moments you don't know if they made it or not until you finally hear from them and you know they are safe :unsure:

•••
Just got a call from the vet, its a no go on the surgery :xf.frown:

She said the tumor is now way too big and it has now become part of the tongue.
She cant remove the tumor without removing most of the tongue.
This is devastating news.

I have to pick him up in a couple of hours when he wakes up.

•••
•••
•••
That's bad news! If your dog is going to suffer so much, then I think, if it was my dog I would probably consider very seriously, with a deep pain in my heart, to have him put to sleep, rather than see him deteriorate.

•••
I have some very sad news....Bandit has passed away.

It was a few days ago, I had to have a vet come to our house and while I was laying with him in his bed he went to sleep for the last time.
I feel that I let him down. He trusted me and I let him down.

There is much more to say but I don't have the strength to go into all of it right now.
I just wanted to let all here who tried to help know that all of out efforts did not save my shadow, my protector, my best friend.

I thank all of you for trying to help and for your kind words.
Sincerely
Len

•••

It was a few days ago, I had to have a vet come to our house and while I was laying with him in his bed he went to sleep for the last time.

There is much more to say but I don't have the strength to go into all of it right now.
I just wanted to let all here who tried to help know that all of out efforts did not save my shadow, my protector, my best friend.

Sincerely
Len

Sorry to hear that, I am sure that you did your best to save him, but somethings just cannot be helped at least not with the medical technologies that are available now.
:xf.frown:

•••

Sincerely
Len
Sad to hear the news, but it was more or less expected. Not sure that many people would have done for Bandit what you did. I'm sure that all of us that love animals have already felt your pain.

Wait a few weeks and get another puppy to replace him, is what I do when I lose an animal!!!

•••
I'm so sorry for your loss :(.

•••

Sincerely
Len

I had to do it too
end of January

my feelings are with you

I wish you strength

•••
Sorry to hear that, I am sure that you did your best to save him, but somethings just cannot be helped at least not with the medical technologies that are available now.
:xf.frown:

Sad to hear the news, but it was more or less expected. Not sure that many people would have done for Bandit what you did. I'm sure that all of us that love animals have already felt your pain.

Wait a few weeks and get another puppy to replace him, is what I do when I lose an animal!!!

I'm so sorry for your loss :(.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words.

I had to do it too
end of January

my feelings are with you

I wish you strength

I am sorry to hear that Frank, I know how much you tried to save your poodle too :xf.frown:
Its really strange walking around the house and he isn't constantly by my side wherever I go.
There is a huge void in our home.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words.

Its really strange walking around the house and he isn't constantly by my side wherever I go.
There is a huge void in our home.
The only fault with dogs is, their lives are too short...
utzyzhgcfcumwa5r2hqc.jpg

•••
The only fault with dogs is, their lives are too short...
utzyzhgcfcumwa5r2hqc.jpg
Agree, way too short :xf.frown:

I really hope everything we talked about and suggested here in this thread may help someone else someday with their dog.
That would be really great :happy:

•••
I really hope everything we talked about and suggested here in this thread may help someone else someday with their dog.
That would be really great :happy:
I'm sure it will...
g1408750865882962136.jpg

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back