Domain Empire

Any luck on Flippa?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have a one word tv domain that I want to try to offload for mid xxx. I was looking at flippa but I have never used it. What is your experiences with success rate and overall buyer interest?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think that flippa was made to make cash from domainers, not to help them earn something. From that what I saw recently there is very low amount of auctions that reach ower 40 - 50 dollars. To list your domain name at flippa you must pay $29 and after sale $10 success fee, even if your domain was sold below $10. I think that it is far away from success.

•••
Never had good luck with flippa. But I have seen crappy .infos getting sold for good moolah over thr. But my experience with them is not that good. Tried to sell 3 diff stuffs onto it. But no luck. Got offers for the first 2 times but where too less than my expectations. And this last time I didnt even get a bid. Might be me trying to sell shitty names onto it :P

•••
Personally, I like Flippa's site. The reserve option, the possibility to add a "buy it now" and change it during the auction, the public and private message, the sale pitch, the app...

I've sold 3 domains there last 2 months with an ammount of $4.5K. All the domains sold cost me a few $, the benefit is really good. And I plan new auctions next week.

I use Flippa as a landing page, literally. The domains I sell there correspond to specific niches with many companies and the domain contains the keywords (all .com). I start the auction with $1 or $100, without reserve. I contact the potentially interested companies by mail announcing the auction, with little wording and centered in highlighting the starting price. These works as an eyecatcher and makes easy to click the link. Once the owner or representative of the company visits the "landing page" he/she finds an extended sale pitch. This way I get some early bidders that help to increase interest to the new visitors coming from my mails. During the aution I write some public messages to point or clarify concepts and respond questions, as I assume the bidders are totally new to the domain auctions world (95% of my bidders are new on Flippa). This works as a reminders that the auction is runnig as they receive a mail in their mailbox each time I write or make any change in the auction. I also invite them to install the Flippa app to receive notifications of new bids or make bids.

It worked for me until now (I'm sure I'll have unsold domains). The domain I've sold were for the spanish market. I wrote the pitch in spanish because I know that the Flippa's regular visitors will have zero interest in these domains. And in each auction I introduce little changes to enhace the results.

I use Flippa not as a selling domain platform, but as a marketing tool to sell domains. I have to do a hard job to locate and contact prospects, but it worths. Note that this "system" works with niche domains. I'm not saying it's good for all domain types. I own domains that I'll never use Flippa to sell.

•••
Didn't have much luck on flippa..

•••
Personally, I like Flippa's site. The reserve option, the possibility to add a "buy it now" and change it during the auction, the public and private message, the sale pitch, the app...

I've sold 3 domains there last 2 months with an ammount of $4.5K. All the domains sold cost me a few $, the benefit is really good. And I plan new auctions next week.

I use Flippa as a landing page, literally. The domains I sell there correspond to specific niches with many companies and the domain contains the keywords (all .com). I start the auction with $1 or $100, without reserve. I contact the potentially interested companies by mail announcing the auction, with little wording and centered in highlighting the starting price. These works as an eyecatcher and makes easy to click the link. Once the owner or representative of the company visits the "landing page" he/she finds an extended sale pitch. This way I get some early bidders that help to increase interest to the new visitors coming from my mails. During the aution I write some public messages to point or clarify concepts and respond questions, as I assume the bidders are totally new to the domain auctions world (95% of my bidders are new on Flippa). This works as a reminders that the auction is runnig as they receive a mail in their mailbox each time I write or make any change in the auction. I also invite them to install the Flippa app to receive notifications of new bids or make bids.

It worked for me until now (I'm sure I'll have unsold domains). The domain I've sold were for the spanish market. I wrote the pitch in spanish because I know that the Flippa's regular visitors will have zero interest in these domains. And in each auction I introduce little changes to enhace the results.

I use Flippa not as a selling domain platform, but as a marketing tool to sell domains. I have to do a hard job to locate and contact prospects, but it worths. Note that this "system" works with niche domains. I'm not saying it's good for all domain types. I own domains that I'll never use Flippa to sell.

The difference here is you are marketing the name and using Flippa as your transaction platform. I think your approach would work whether you sent them to Flippa, or Sedo, or Godaddy.

For somebody to just put a name up for sale and pay the $29 is not going to work imo.

•••

Featured listing or standard ? and what is the optimal auction duration ? thanks

•••
The difference here is you are marketing the name and using Flippa as your transaction platform. I think your approach would work whether you sent them to Flippa, or Sedo, or Godaddy.

For somebody to just put a name up for sale and pay the $29 is not going to work imo.

I work with Sedo, Godaddy, Afternic, Aftermarket and others. But all these do not have the options that Flippa offers. Otherwise, the role of Flippa ends when the auction is closed. The domain transfer and payment are done only beetwen buyer and seller, outside Flippa. Then, is not a transaction platform.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Featured listing or standard ? and what is the optimal auction duration ? thanks
I use standart. I've used from 5 to 20 days. 5 days works better. I want to try 3 days next week.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back