Domain Empire

Another Bad Sign For .mobi

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The new 2.0 firmware for the iPhone and iPod Touch includes a new Safari shortcut that goes beyond ".com".

According to The Unofficial Apple Weblog, when you type in your web address you can now hold down the ".com" button to get the choice of three more extensions - ".net", ".edu" and ".org" - but no ".mobi"

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/07/15/iphone-101-hold-your-com-button-for-a-second/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Jeff said:
if we soon see an .CELL extension
'Cell' doesn't mean much outside North America, in particular in countries where English is not the official language ;)

Don't buy too many .tel Jeff, because they are pretty useless :bingo:

•••
Scraps™ :!:

Kath said:
Don't buy too many .tel Jeff, because they are pretty useless :bingo:

I'm not buying any .TEL's, Kath ... but, as an extension, and compared with the long and CLUMSY "dot Mobey" - the .TEL is very highly brandable and will garner significant interest at launch from what might otherwise have been :$: renewals of "dot Mobey's", IMHO. :gl:
The .MOBI Scraps™ are coming, and en masse! :o

Enjoy the summer! :music:
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
I'm not buying any .TEL's, Kath ... but, as an extension, and compared with the long and CLUMSY "dot Mobey" - the .TEL is very highly brandable and will garner significant interest at launch from what might otherwise have been :$: renewals of "dot Mobey's", IMHO. :gl:
The .MOBI Scraps™ are coming, and en masse! :o

Enjoy the summer! :music:
-Jeff B-)

this sounds like something an old man would say.... i cant see anyone my age saying "TEL is highly brandable"... barely anybody calls it a telephone anymore.. espesially when referring to their mobile phone.

just curious, how old are you?

•••
Now I've heard it all. :lol:

Regarding: .cell and .tel
I'm sorry to bring you all to the 21st century but hardly anybody uses these terms, with the exception of older generations.

Tweens, teens, and young adults usually refer to their phones as mobiles. So, .mobi isn't that bad when it comes to branding for today! :D

•••
DBADT2007 said:
So, .mobi isn't that bad when it comes to branding for today! :D

It's long, awkward, unprofessional, and AWFUL ... a branding nightmare! :alien: :imho:
It's a main reason (mTLD being the other!) why the lowly "dot Mobey" has failed to gain any meaningful adoption and critical awareness, in my humble judgement!

mjnels said:
just curious, how old are you?

Please stay on topic, friend. :blink:

-Jeff B-)

•••
well it kind of is on topic... im 26 and never hear anyone say telephone.

so, .tel being a shorter version of telephone seems kind of awkward to me. and .mobi, being a shorter version of mobile, doesnt really seem all that awkward.

•••
mjnels said:
well it kind of is on topic... im 26 and never hear anyone say telephone.

so, .tel being a shorter version of telephone seems kind of awkward to me. and .mobi, being a shorter version of mobile, doesnt really seem all that awkward.
Ask non-domainers how would they spell mobi
Answers I get are mobey or mobie

Ask non-domainers how they would spell com net org us tv and so on. They usually get it right

•••
WGS_Thunder said:

Ask non-domainers how they would spell com net org us tv and so on. They usually get it right

i guess that means it'll always be like that. :'(

•••
Ronald Regging said:
holy crap, theres an ignore function? where?

I see it like this...

Who am I to tell anyone how to invest their money? If you got the money, knock yourself out. But don't keep posting threads everytime a new .mobi is developed. Really I don't like the .mobi is dead or dying threads either (such as this one), because I personally feel that by acknowledging that it's dead or dying means that you acknowledge that it was ever alive, which I don't feel it was...

But hey, if it takes off and you make millions, you can laugh at me all you want. If it dies and you lose money, well, I'm not going to laugh, because people are throwing away money on new extensions everyday.... It's not exactly like your in a boat alone and while I don't agree with hype and hysteria, I can certainly understand a person's desire to take a chance that may pay off heavily.

In the end, we're all domainers and we have to remember that. If we can't agree on anything about .mobi, we have to be able to agree on the fact that it has been a rather dividing force in the domaining industry.

..Amen..

•••
.mobi is toast !! The speculators have been burnt and the hype that started the extension off has failed misearbly to live up to any expectations. RIP .mobi 8^X :bah: :lol:

•••
quality said:
.mobi is toast !! The speculators have been burnt and the hype that started the extension off has failed misearbly to live up to any expectations. RIP .mobi 8^X :bah: :lol:

im a speculator and i havnt been "burnt by the hype"

admit it, you're doing this to be funny though.. right quality?

your comments lately couldnt possibly be serious while sporting web.com sub-domains in your sig. i'll admit, its a pretty funny joke... glad a guy can have that sort of sense of humor about his own investments.

•••
quality said:

I'm going to cross the floor on this one. Please stop with the silly comments, especially with those web.com names in your sig, you are making us .mobi naysayers look bad.

•••
snoop said:
I'm going to cross the floor on this one. Please stop with the silly comments, especially with those web.com names in your sig, you are making us .mobi naysayers look bad.

Word :sold:

ps: Apparently, quality has some special arrangements with the new owner hence he's able to retain all his sub-domains.

•••
WGS_Thunder said:

I guess that means, MobiTV.com is destined for failure? and Flickr? and Yarwho? Googal? :music:

Jeff said:
It's long, awkward, unprofessional, and AWFUL ... a branding nightmare! :alien: :imho:
It's a main reason (mTLD being the other!) why the lowly "dot Mobey" has failed to gain any meaningful adoption and critical awareness, in my humble judgement!

Please stay on topic, friend. :blink:

-Jeff B-)
Yeah Jeff. Mobi being short for Mobile is such a branding nightmare!

What other way can you shorten Mobile?
M? Err NO! M can stand for anything that begins with M
Mob? Gangs?
Mobil?
Mobi

Early days in the mobile industry... Lots of new companies now use the term MOBI.

I predict, just like the original "television" being shortened to just "TV" (tee vee), "mobile" will be shortened to "Mobi" (Moe bee).

Adios.

•••
and radio should be radi (rad dee)
Seems silly

•••
WGS_Thunder said:
Seems silly
Yes you're right, that is silly.

What matters is who is using Radi as a shortened version for FM/AM radio. I doubt anyone is.

Mobi is clearly a contender for Mobile tho. We'll see. It's just my opinion.

•••
snoop said:

theres no way he's serious.

WGS_Thunder said:
Seems silly

gawd... and lets not even bring up that new search engine "Cuil.com"... supposedly pronounced "cool"

what about "digg.com" with 2 g's...

yes some things seem like branding nightmares to begin with, but who knows in this crazy web 9.0 world.

•••
MJ,
Rep'd +.
You took the words out of my mouth, Cuil pronounced "cool"! :lol:

mjnels said:
theres no way he's serious.

gawd... and lets not even bring up that new search engine "Cuil.com"... supposedly pronounced "cool"

what about "digg.com" with 2 g's...

yes some things seem like branding nightmares to begin with, but who knows in this crazy web 9.0 world.

•••
keithmt said:
Jeff said:
I, many of us, do not understand IMHO ... promises have been broken and development mandates are not being enforced while 1,000's upon 1,000's of domain still LANGUISH undeveloped ... can you please elaborate in a clear and concise, professional manner? :gl:

Thanks very kindly,
Jeff
Hey Jeff, how many mobis do you currently own?

None ... and the development mandates are still not being enforced! :guilty: :imho:

labrocca said:
I think Hertz has a .mobi and even if more people use it, WELL TRADEMARK HOLDERS, it will be used but other than that just another tld in the pollution field of the net.

Yeah...it's really what's going on. TM holders are using mobi for their mobile sites. This hasn't helped domainers monetize for the most part. I would like to see some new innovative mobi sites.

Link: http://coke.mobi :guilty: :zzz:

What happened to the unique and compelling developments of GENERIC "dot Mobey" domains ... for those that are "on the go" and in creating the critical "dot Mobey" "ecosystem"?!? :| :red: :snaphappy:

Just my two sense.
-Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
Jeff said:
What happened to the unique and compelling developments of GENERIC "dot Mobey" domains......

they're all in my account and im holding out for a million each.

•••
mjnels said:
they're all in my account and im holding out for a million each.

Lira? :blink: :red:

Plus, as I recall ... you don't have any that are that good (or being developed!), and I thought by now you'd be liquidating ... as most of your fellow and former Roseys™ have done, or are doing? :|

All the best, friend.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
Pesos? :blink: :red:

Plus, as I recall ... you don't have any that are that good (or being developed), and I thought by now you'd be liquidating ... as most of your fellow Roseys™ have done or are doing? :|

All the best, friend.
-Jeff B-)

dont have anything that good compare to who... people that are in the hole 100k+ for their collection? :laugh:

i've been selling since day 1... hard to move forward by standing still. i tried to pay my landlord with domains once, but i didnt like the look he gave me.

•••
mjnels said:
dont have anything that good compare to who... people that are in the hole 100k+ for their collection? :laugh:

Who's in the hole $100k plus for "dot Mobey's"?!? :blink:

i've been selling since day 1... hard to move forward by standing still. i tried to pay my landlord with domains once, but i didnt like the look he gave me.

#1. Why are you not the landlord ... with your supposed "dot Mobey" riches?
#2. I can't blame the landlord for looking at you cock-eyed ... in trying to offer him/her lowly "dot Mobey's" in lieu of actual real rent :$: money, IMHO.

Thanks for understanding.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
Who's in the hole $100k plus for "dot Mobey's"?!? :blink:

not me. :wave:

Jeff said:
#1. Why are you not the landlord ... with your "dot Mobey" riches?

because its a hard knock life. anyone who thought they were going to get rich off .mobi was in for a rude awakening, as many have already experienced now that the bubble has popped.

Jeff said:
#2. I can't blame the landlord for looking at you cock-eyed in trying to offer "dot Mobey's" in lieu of rent money, IMHO.

yea.. however, he did mention that .TEL domains are actually better than real money.

•••
mjnels said:
not me. :wave:

Good. :music:

anyone who thought they were going to get rich off .mobi was in for a rude awakening, as many have already experienced now that the bubble has popped.

Good enough, and exactly as I and others here on #1 Namepros™ warned in 2006! :yell: :imho:

yea.. however, he did mention that .TEL domains are actually better than real money.

The very highly brandable .TEL's are extremely intriguing, I agree ... but I would urge the same caution and due diligence as I did with the long and much more awkward "dot Mobey's" now over two years ago! :blink: :imho:

Have a coke, and take care friend. ;)
-Jeff B-)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back